UO!

Madoc

Project Lead
Single player / LAN games and MMOs don't have much in common. An MMO world is completely static, it cannot evolve because there's a constant influx of new characters that need to experience the same content in the same way. Everything is constantly respawning and resetting to its original conditions, nothing you do matters. That is very different from what a single player experience can potentially provide.

I personally find MMOs can be quite fun when they first launch and everyone is still discovering the world. Once everyone knows everything and you're just grinding to reach some end-game where you can then grind the same things over and over again I find them incredibly boring.

UO was quite different from most MMOs because it was a player driven sandbox, at least on the servers I played on. The world was almost a blank slate for the players to build on, there was no instancing whatsoever and it was mostly about player interaction. You could do almost anything. Doing that on that scale and with that freedom today in 3D and with modern standards of realism and quality would be an epic undertaking. You could still create a very similar core experience without attempting to do quite everything UO did though I think.

The physics in SG are far too complex for online play with many players, we're still not sure any kind of online play will be possible. Typical strategies for synchronising physics simulations are impossible with the complexity of the physics in SG, we're already pushing the limits of hardware even in single player. Also the physics really matter, they're not just for show.

Kosac

Insider
so teoreticly if SG have no respawns and i kill everything in my world i stay in this world forever alone? :) this can be weird.. no new citizens, immigrands or travelers to retake empty villiges? :)

Tessaya

Insider
so teoreticly if SG have no respawns and i kill everything in my world i stay in this world forever alone? :) this can be weird.. no new citizens, immigrands or travelers to retake empty villiges? :)
For that to happen, they'd need to have some motivation prevailing the fact that they would probably know somewhone slaughtered everyone else. Don't think you'll easily find volunteers.

On the other end you can spawn a new world instance and use your character there.

Retro

Thank you madoc for that honest answer even if it's a bit disenchanting to those of us who hoped for a spiritual successor of UO.

I feel that Sui Generis managed to create a timeless appearance that possibly will still look good in 10 years or more. Nothing compared to those 3D graphics 15 years ago like Soul Reaver or MDK that nowadays only look edgy and are somewhat hard to bear. Call me a hopeless case but since pc hardware performance is increasing rapidly every year, I can't give up hope that maybe in a few years a game with such cool physics and apperanance as Sui Generis might be an inspiration or a basis for a MMO sandbox game creator, made entirely for private shards. A capacity of 30-100 people might sound impossible now but who know's what the future might have in store.

Thank you madoc for that honest answer even if it's a bit disenchanting to those of us who hoped for a spiritual successor of UO.

I feel that Sui Generis managed to create a timeless appearance that possibly will still look good in 10 years or more. Nothing compared to those 3D graphics 15 years ago like Soul Reaver or MDK that nowadays only look edgy and are somewhat hard to bear. Call me a hopeless case but since pc hardware performance is increasing rapidly every year, I can't give up hope that maybe in a few years a game with such cool physics and apperanance as Sui Generis might be an inspiration or a basis for a MMO sandbox game creator, made entirely for private shards. A capacity of 30-100 people might sound impossible now but who know's what the future might have in store.
Man, well said.

I just linked some videos of this game to my other UO buddies and the first thing they asked was "Soooo, this our next MMO?" and I replied, "I wish, this is not an MMO" and their next question was "Sooo, when are we LAN'ing?" Lol.

Like Retro said, I can only hope for a game EXACTLY like SG to eventually be a UO successor so to speak or an option for 5/10 players to LAN at least.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.