Useful combat advice from Roland Warzecha - "True times"

Satorii

Since Exanima uses mechanics that very closely mimic what it's like to move in real life, the tactics Roland describes in these videos prove to be very effective when applied to combat in the game. Yes, he mostly talks about weapon binds, which aren't really part of in-game combat, but there's another thing he talks about that's very important and IS pertinent to in-game combat: timing!

Here he describes "true times", which just means utilizing the most efficient way of moving in combat: first moving the hands, then the body/torso, and then the feet.
In Exanima, this translates to clicking attack (hands), then moving the cursor according to the direction of the swing, or in the case of overheads, slightly pressing the crouch button* (body), and finally, using the movement keys (feet).

This bit starting at 3m 6s talks about the drawbacks of using "false times" and using true times while your opponent is moving towards you.
If you watch the rest of this video and Part 2, you'll also see him demonstrate a particularly important concept in combat called "taking the center". It is particularly important because the "center" is the space that allows for optimum striking distance.

*It is important to keep in mind, though that while it may allow for a faster overhead attack, using the crouch button while attacking halts your forward movement little bit.

Syllabear3

Interesting stuff.
I am not sure if you can apply it in the game and with other weapons...

I dont understand the first video, what if you do both at the same time? Because thats what u do in exanima...

And at least what it allways worked is to wait the enemy attack. When i used to play rakion, a guy waiting enemy attacks was a coward because you could act knowing how to counter him. Like here when i defeated the swordman:
I think both of us used false times?

Last edited:

Pc Genie

Very true to real life (as seen via Historical European Martial Arts) and in game, I like the click first, then move to augment or place the attack as required.

I see some low grade opponents often start moving towards me and I'm able to attack into their attempted attack without punishment, it's that easily telegraphed.

I always ramble on about distance and timing anyway, like in my "Learn Swordfighting During Exanima Gameplay" video I posted online.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.