Utilizing the Journal

Zahdra

Have you guys been using the journal at all in your travels throughout the dark depths of Exanima? I find that I get more attached and engaged with my character should I add a little life and roleplay to them.

Like a little tidbit here for example:

2.4.????

every blow To my body the enemy lands shows Me combat from a new perspective, it shows me another opening, and Another shortcut...

without a doubt it's A nightmare i tread through almost blindly as i try to gather myself to press on in this horrid place My determination is strong but my hope still yet wanes. the Deeper I Delve into this dungeon the more concerned i become of my survival out of this hell. it almost feels like with every step i take, the walls take a step with me. they expand as i progress, they enlarge to my actions and react to my every step, as if to accommodate for my skill -- to keep me here.
At first when I read the journals and books that mentioned I couldn't understand most of the words, I assumed this meant my character was illiterate or perhaps wasn't too bright when it came to spelling and grammar, so I tried to implement that into the journal entries.

SyllaBear

The only writing is the blood in the walls from my enemies.

I just died in arena QQ. How can a stab with a pole in an armored chest will make 50% permanent dmg. No one will ever know.

I think the journal is pretty useless. It would be useful if you can draw a map but you cant.

Zahdra

The only writing is the blood in the walls from my enemies.

I just died in arena QQ. How can a stab with a pole in an armored chest will make 50% permanent dmg. No one will ever know.

I think the journal is pretty useless. It would be useful if you can draw a map but you cant.
I beg to differ. While it holds no practical use gameplay wise, I wouldn't consider it useless. In fact, I dearly wish more RPGs would offer a journal system for the player to use. It makes me feel much more engaged in the world as I experience it through my character's eyes... Sure, I could keep an ACTUAL journal IRL but I love that the game has one built-in.

I guess I'm just a nerd for roleplaying elements lol.

Although a drawing option for one's journal would be very fun!

Clanf

journal would be a great place for (automatic) statistic in the Arena mode - wins, loses, your characters and defeated enemies knockouts/death, money earned, spent and so on... maybe even a bit more detailed info about your hirelings performance, to see with what weapon they are more efficient, their general w/l ratio and so on
and everything styled like actual handwritten journal

SyllaBear

I beg to differ. While it holds no practical use gameplay wise, I wouldn't consider it useless. In fact, I dearly wish more RPGs would offer a journal system for the player to use. It makes me feel much more engaged in the world as I experience it through my character's eyes... Sure, I could keep an ACTUAL journal IRL but I love that the game has one built-in.

I guess I'm just a nerd for roleplaying elements lol.

Although a drawing option for one's journal would be very fun!
And once you die, where does it go?
But well if you are happy with it, it doesnt harm ;p

journal would be a great place for (automatic) statistic in the Arena mode...
Agreed.
There could be also statistic information of your ingame skill, i.e. [weapon name] hits quantity (succeeded and blocked hits separately), mightiest hit, most gained damage (also could be an all-time gained damage for comparison), favorite weapon (with best hit-quantity/damage ratio), sprinted/walked/crouched (in common stance and in combat stance separately) distance, etc.

So you could track your own ingame effectiveness.

You should get an option to automatically add all books/scrolls you read to your "journal".

Let's face it...almost no one is gonna use a journal that has to be filled manually. But if there's actual stuff going on in there....maybe it will find some uses.

Gozer

. . . I'm the second man to make it to the portal

I bear grievous wounds but have obtained both salves and the helm.

I prepare to press on . . .

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.