Weapons and Armors

Happycrow

As a modder (and a guy who's hot both to see what kind of story SG comes up with *and* to play in their toolboxes), I can't tell you how much time I've spent in 3dsmax converting "boob plates" into breastplates, etcetera, at the request of gals who are also gamers and have bruised foreheads from all the facepalming.

Things posted here, obviously, are not meant to be taken in this way "Take this armor make the EXACT same armor and put it on every corner in the game". Alot of the items will be more common, things that you would expect to see of alot in a LOW fantasy game, plus there is (I think) a good deal of historical and "real" world influence. And this is not so exciting, and it is not meant to be, because things are made to be useful rather than fancy. I too don't like crazy shiny and ridiculous armors that in reality would be worthless. But there are uncommon ones crafted with alot of care and for long time, and aesthetics and looks exist to a reasonable degree, of course. And looks can have an impact on a battle easily. At times even combat effectiveness is sacrificed just to wear certain armor. Intimidation can realy change how a fight goes. There is more to looks too but this is enough. Aside from the last few posts, things here are reasonable, I don't know why you would you react like that. There is probably a thread somewhere else that is for armor, more traditional and common.

On a side note it is sad how everything that is not common or they have not seen or heard of is considered crazy, stupid, not real etc by the majority of people. ;D

And for the above post. It is pretty bad that almost all clothing mods for games are some super skimpy(?) things. And you walk around half naked or pretty much naked, everywhere. At the very least it is very bad for immersion, though i am sure people that are that mature to require a naked woman with big breast looking like a doll to play with are not ones for immersion. ;D

Happycrow

You're "preaching to the choir" there, Zaratan Cho. I'm actually a medieval milhist nerd when I'm not in my gaming life. Adolescent takes on armor have always broken immersion instantly for me.

Scarecrow

Insider
Not too much going on on the forums lately, so why not keep them coming? Here are some more helmets and armors i think would fit the game. Maybe even Elric will aprove theese, who knows? :D
I also favor a more realistic and real world approach to equipment in games. Sometimes the fantasy armors and weapons can be a bit much. That doesnt mean i cant appreciate that too of course. In many games, that is exactly how it should be (e.g Ornsteins Armor in Dark Souls).

I have a very indepth thread about arms & armour going on in the insider forums, and all the info the devs would ever need on real equipment is in there. I'll add to it what I deem suitable from here.

Bascinets (second picture in the last post) are already in, showing off the many variations.
Didn't get into crusader helmets or norse so far... but I'm constantly adding more gear to the thread, so the devs have a good location for resources.

And that crusader in the last picture is a complete mix&match of all the periods.
Maille and helmet from the late 12th / early 13th century, 14th century elbow cups, totally weird bracers and 15th century sabatons (the armour for the foot)... I can't even classify the greaves. Horrible! :p

Happycrow

And he's wearing his vambraces in the Italian style, but his elbow cops in the French. Which is... wacky. o_O

If layering is going to be a thing, that argues somewhat in favor of a 13th/early-14th-century aesthetic, with gambeson and cuirie variations (possibly early, Kussnach-style coats of plates) having a significant impact on how one chooses to armor up. If so, that would be EXCEEDINGLY cool, as it's something that is generally COMPLETELY neglected.:)

What about jazeraints?

Scarecrow

Insider
Guys, i tried. I tried to please Elric, but its not doable! :(

JK, but i also tought the crusader in the last picture looked a bit funny tbh. What i actually wanted was to add a picture of a Teutonic knight, but i couldnt be bothered with finding a good picture, so i just took the first i saw. I know this isnt what a "typicall" or "iconic" Teutonic knight would look like at all, but just rolled with it.

Here's a picture of some charging Teutonic knights

As you can see, they look quite different from the picture of the last post. Then again, i dont know if their armor here really is a 100% accurate or not.
Also, those winged helmets of the Teutonic knights, were they real or just a myth? Like the Vikings, many have come to believe that they had horn on their helmets and they all used double-bit axes and such, while that isnt true at all. They didnt use horn on their helmets, nor was the axe the most common weapon (much less a double-bit axe. And im not saying that they didnt use axes in battle either, cus they did. The Viking axe was often quite light, and easy enough to handle). The Spear was actually a very common weapon with the vikings aswell, perhaps the most common weapon, because they were simple and cheap to make. A more wealthy man would rather use a sword than a spear on the other hand.

Oona

Insider
To be honest, I can't understand some of you guys' obsession with very heavy armour... I personally prefer this more:

Is it understandable for me to be obsessed with heavy armour when I fight, run and fool around in about 28kg of real and durable plate armour on a regular basis? It's dented, it's scratched, it's a bit rusty and I've fractured my nose quite a few times, received some scars, and lots of blunt trauma from it all, but hell, there's no other "hobby" like it.

I love it. But then again, I'm a bit of a crazy person.

Lathspell

I was thinking about making armors a bit more customizable like adding cloaks and hoods, but not as a part of the armor but as an independent item, I mean if you want a cloak in your armor, just go and get it and if you don't want it, just take it out...and the same with hoods...and make diferent types like these:

just saying, so the same armor will look diferent than others...what do you think?

Halvidore

Insider
I'm glad that the armour is going to look practical in SG instead of outrageous like in Japanese anime cartoons or RPG/MMOs that they create.

Lathspell

there are a lot of gorgeous armors in this post, but please and seriously PLEASE!! don't put those bucket helmets!!!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.