What does the player have to lose?

Bullethead

So many folks so wedded to material possessions....... Clothes don't make the man.

Remember, this is low-fantasy, so I expect owning even 1 magic item will be rare until so late in the game that your skills (both as player and character) should keep you from dying except in boss battles. Thus, nearly everything you lose will be off-the-shelf stuff, relatively easily replaced. Even the odd high-quality mundane item, or some magic geegaw, probably won't be overwhelmingly powerful, just slightly better than the norm. IOW, nice to have but not essential. I expect that acquiring skill techniques and using them appropriately will be MUCH more important to success than specific items of gear. Therefore, I see very little reason to bother about reclaiming my stuff after I die.

So to me, this leaves unfinished business as the only potentially compelling reason to go back to where I died. But from what BME has said about the vague and non-signposted nature of quests and storyline, I doubt you'll be able to tell if what you were doing was really important or not, at least not until you're so far into the game that you've been able to piece together enough random clues to figure out what's really going on. So probably the only "unfinished business" will be whatever personal revenge you feel compelled to extract. And for that, I'd rather figure a way to bushwhack the bastard when he leasts expects it than try another direct confrontation :).

Last edited:

Mati9319

Supporter
So many folks so wedded to material possessions....... Clothes don't make the man.
Yeah, but it's really hard to change this way of thinking being brought up on popular RPG games, where it's mostly character's belongings making how powerful he is, e.g. "Dark Sword of Final Annihilation +500 strength" or "Mystic Armor of Mystic Mysticness +600 agility".

Remember, this is low-fantasy, so I expect owning even 1 magic item will be rare until so late in the game that your skills (both as player and character) should keep you from dying except in boss battles. Thus, nearly everything you lose will be off-the-shelf stuff, relatively easily replaced.
If it's really gonna be like this, then I'm 100x less worried about losing my items (even without ability to recover them, but there will probably be one, which would still be nice).

Even the odd high-quality mundane item, or some magic geegaw, probably won't be overwhelmingly powerful, just slightly better than the norm. IOW, nice to have but not essential.
I hope you're right.

I'd rather figure a way to bushwhack the bastard when he leasts expects it than try another directon confrontation :).
Sounds like a plan. I think it's gonna be essential to not fight every human/creature on sight, but rather learn about its' behaviour, habits and weak points first.

Bullethead

Yeah, but it's really hard to change this way of thinking being brought up on popular RPG games, where it's mostly character's belongings making how powerful he is, e.g. "Dark Sword of Final Annihilation +500 strength" or "Mystic Armor of Mystic Mysticness +600 agility".

If it's really gonna be like this, then I'm 100x less worried about losing my items (even without ability to recover them, but there will probably be one, which would still be nice).
How many magic items are there in all of Exanima? I really have no idea because I'm nowhere near finishing it yet but, other than the healing potion, I haven't heard mention of any (although the lightbulbs in some areas to me count as magic).

Thing is, Exanima is a closed environment. It has what it has and that sets the value of even low-quality mundane items. "Wow, a pair of suede pants with 1/2 a dot more coverage than the leather pants I'm wearing. Jackpot!" :D. So dying and losing those pants is more irksome in Exanima than it would be in the context of a wider Sui Generis world with multiple sources of gear.

Bullethead

If there is a void spell thing, then it should high level endgame stuff.
Even better if it was a thing that had to be used actively, such as the "Spellbreaker" chain of Vlad Taltos in Steven Brust's series of books. Just wearing this wasn't enough. Vlad had to interpose it actively between himself and the incoming spell.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.