Why do we even have RPG elements?

Xerxes

Insider
When I was playing some old favourite CRPGs of mine; I was shocked by how differently games were made back then. Sure they are old and dated, but they still hold up really well against today's AAA streamlined-generic-fantasy-setting-over-written-American-culture-all-over-the-place RPGs.

If there is one thing that I both hate and love about old school rpgs; it is the reinforced role play experience. What do I mean by that?

In Elder Scrolls Daggerfall, the game does not holds your hand until you beat it. There is no big arrow on screen telling you where next to go, and there are like 9 or 10 main stats that are actually important and can only be mastered by trial and error. You can screw yourself up, and getting the bad ending without even knowing that until it's too late. The game is not leveled at all, so you have to actively think when you play rather than just swing your sword until you get the big chest at the end of the dungeon.
In system shocks 2, you have to put some points in research before you can do anything with the objects surrounding you. There are many situational skills that are absolutely essential, and you have to think hard and plan ahead.
The list goes on and on.

That have became the past already. In today's games, video game companies are willing to do anything to make their game as inoffensive and generic as possible to appeal to the tasteless masses. Thus there are so many shooters, because they require no skills. As long as you know how to use the mouse & keyboard or a ps 3 controller, you can play them. You don't need to think, just keep on playing and buying their dlcs.

One great example I'm sure will get eggs thrown at me is Skyrim. Though it's not as bad as Oblivion, it's still pretty messy. You can become the arch-mage at the school without even know any magic (except for fire, frost, cast light and warding, which any individual can acquire and use). You can become the leader of the thief guild wearing full heavy armor and never sneak at all. The magic combining is removed, and it's extremely easy to break the game and make the already easy game become even more mind-numbing. This is certainly in an effort to let players experience most of the game within one single playthrough. Sure, it succeeded. It's not without any cost. Skyrim is generic, it does not grow on me the longer I play. The first impress is surely nice, but it's completely 2-d once you are done with it.

To me, RPG elements are quite essential for my enjoyment and immersion. When the game is not asking me to learn or to do anything, I will lose interest. I would argue these complexities are essential.

What differs skyrim and daggerfall is that in skyrim, you can dump all your points mindlessly into health, magic, stamina without a second thought. Everything is handed to the player, and there is no input needed. The same thing happened to Diablo 3, even though it has a lot going for it, it is streamlined to the point that it's just about a linear stat growth. You can simulate the experience by just repeatedly adding numbers together.

So, if linear stat growth is bad, then what is a good system?

I can only speak through my own experience with games I've played over the years, so I may miss something important.
One I would name it POE system. It's all about giving player choices while limiting their options. Players have to actively think about their build, what gear to get, what skill and what modification to get, and how to spend their points. This system focuses on the variety of character building. However, it's really repetitive and there is no distinctive difference between individuals with the same build. In other words, all the depth is in the planning phase rather than in the executional phase.

Another system, I would name it dark souls system. In dark souls, your stats and equipment are not important as your play style and your skill. Experienced players can basically roll over the game using no shields and invest no vitality, whereas noobs will struggle even with the most OP cookie-cutter builds. This system is wonderful, because it makes your character grows on you as you are getting better and better at it. However, there aren't much choices and there is no depth in the planning phase.

The last one is Daggerfall system. The character stats are not only important for beating the game painlessly, but also they are important for your role-playing experience. You can't beat the game just with the best gears and dump all your stats into strength, agility and health. This makes the planning more stressful.

Another example would be one of skyrim's mod: frostfall. this mod adds in the needs of staying warm and fed. It overall makes skyrim a lot better.

To sum it up, a perfect ideal core system revolves around the complexity on both combat and plot advancing & survival elements on both executional and the character planning phase of a game.

I'm not saying SG needs everything, and whatnot. I'm simply stating elements I deem as essential hardcore pure RPG's must have.

(Thus, in a perfect world situation, the best crpg ever would be a better written daggerfall with better skill diversity; good combat system; and the needs of eat, drink, stay comfortable and healthy.)

Feel free to add your own examples and ideas or thoughts down below.

Komuflage

Insider
Something I (almost) totally agree on. (Except this "Darksouls ... This system is wonderful, because it makes your character grows on you as you are getting better and better at it. However, there aren't much choices and there is no depth in the planning phase." One play through of Demon's or Dark is about 6-12h depending on what you do. So personally I always plan my builds, exactly how much Str do I need? how much Vit and Endurance? Personally I go to a great extend trying to get the 'Perfect' builds, so I don't waste a single stat point in something I don't need. Other than that I agree with you, rpgs today are to dumb, and frankly I'm a bit amazed at how much praise Skyrim gets, it got bad combat, bad dialogs, decent graphics, boring npcs without personality, repetitive gameplay, lame skill system, hand holdy etc etc, it does however got decent exploration, but that's about it)

Xerxes

Insider
So personally I always plan my builds, exactly how much Str do I need? how much Vit and Endurance? Personally I go to a great extend trying to get the 'Perfect' builds, so I don't waste a single stat point in something I don't need.
I was just like that when I first get into these games, I plan and trying to min-max things, then I realised that it doesn't make much sense because even at lvl one, a chaos reinforced club with power within can tear through bosses and monsters easily. Sure, in higher game pluses, elemental become out powered quickly, but at that time, I can lvl up however I want. So, unless I'm doing a SL120 pvp build, I won't do much planning at all.
In dark souls, to a lesser extent to demon's souls, you can get a lot of souls very quickly in the late game. If you just rush to that point, then you can level up like nobody's business.

Xerxes

Insider
I was just like that when I first get into these games, I planned and tried to min-max things, then I realized that it doesn't make much sense because even at lvl one, a chaos reinforced club with power within can tear through bosses and monsters easily. Sure, in higher game pluses, elemental weapons become out powered quickly, but at that time, I can lvl up however I want due to the increased exp gain. So, unless I'm doing a SL120 pvp build, I won't do much planning at all.
In dark souls, to a lesser extent to demon's souls, you can get a lot of souls very quickly in the late game. If you just rush to that point, then you can level up like nobody's business.

Tom

Insider
To me, RPG elements are quite essential for my enjoyment and immersion. When the game is not asking me to learn or to do anything, I will lose interest. I would argue these complexities are essential.

What, exactly, are RPG elements? Levels? Loot? Stats? Skills? I have my own ideas, but I don't think everyone can agree on them.

To sum it up, a perfect ideal core system revolves around the complexity on both combat and plot advancing & survival elements on both executional and the character planning phase of a game.

I like a complex combat, but what do you mean by "plot advancing"? Also, why do you think that survival elements are important?

Komuflage

Insider
"When the game is not asking me to learn or to do anything, I will lose interest. I would argue these complexities are essential." Oh I completely missed this, this is something I don't agree with at all. Imo, the game can have a little tutorial in the form of a prelude but it's not necessary, other than that, in an RPG I don't really want the game to tell me what to do. I want the freedom to explore whenever I want or quest when I feel like it.
Personally I play a lot of old rpgs, and what I like about them is that they "don't tell you anything" you have to learn and discover everything for yourself.

Xerxes

Insider
"
Personally I play a lot of old rpgs, and what I like about them is that they "don't tell you anything" you have to learn and discover everything for yourself.
Ask player to learn things doesn't equal to tutorials at all. It means the game has depth, and player can only gain better understanding by playing.
Dark souls is good example of teaching without hand helding. It has levels designed around introducing new elements to games. Such as the catacomb is super dark, so players have to rush through. Or in duke's archive, players are facing multiple enemies at once.

Dark souls does not tell player:" hey you there, rush through this place or you will die horribly" or "jump down that little ledge to do a plunge attack against capra".

When you are playing an old rps, you are challenged not only your skill of button mashing and text reading, but you have to learn without the game giving everything to you.

When I say "When the game is not asking me to learn or to do anything, I will lose interest." I meant, most modern games can be beat by anyone, even the mentally challenged. Skyrim is one game that is easy to the point of purely mindless. It has no depth, has no expectation, has no rules and there is no way to fail.

I would like to ask you, how do you learn in old rpgs? you learn from your mistakes, you learn from your failures. You are expected to fail a few times before you have a chance beating the game. That's the kind of tutorial I like. Not "press X to roll, press R1 to hide behind covers."

Xerxes

Insider
What, exactly, are RPG elements? Levels? Loot? Stats? Skills? I have my own ideas, but I don't think everyone can agree on them.

I like a complex combat, but what do you mean by "plot advancing"? Also, why do you think that survival elements are important?
I don't want to explain this to every single passerby, if you read my thread carefully enough, you will understand.

Ok, ok, this is an exception.

Plot advancing means skills you have to get to beat the game. But a good game does not tell you which to get, and a good will provide you with multiple options. In deus ex, you have to level up you skills before you can do anything. The game however is good enough that most skills will be useful in boss fights.
In this kind of games, players are put into situations that they have to come up with solutions with all the given conditions. Unlike games today are more about reaction time and how good you are at pointing your mouse or doing button combos.

If this doesn't explain it, then you have to play for yourself to get a feel.

Komuflage

Insider
Ask player to learn things doesn't equal to tutorials at all. It means the game has depth, and player can only gain better understanding by playing.
Dark souls is good example of teaching without hand helding. It has levels designed around introducing new elements to games. Such as the catacomb is super dark, so players have to rush through. Or in duke's archive, players are facing multiple enemies at once.

Dark souls does not tell player:" hey you there, rush through this place or you will die horribly" or "jump down that little ledge to do a plunge attack against capra".

When you are playing an old rps, you are challenged not only your skill of button mashing and text reading, but you have to learn without the game giving everything to you.

When I say "When the game is not asking me to learn or to do anything, I will lose interest." I meant, most modern games can be beat by anyone, even the mentally challenged. Skyrim is one game that is easy to the point of purely mindless. It has no depth, has no expectation, has no rules and there is no way to fail.

I would like to ask you, how do you learn in old rpgs? you learn from your mistakes, you learn from your failures. You are expected to fail a few times before you have a chance beating the game. That's the kind of tutorial I like. Not "press X to roll, press R1 to hide behind covers."
Oh ok, I misunderstood what you meant, I thought you wanted the game to tell you what to do.

Anyway, learning by doing is ofc the best approach for a game.

Oh but, if you say you loose interest when the game dosn't "aks you to learn anything" doesn't that mean you would loose interest in a game like Dark souls as soon as you completed it once, since it's nothing more to learn? :p

On a side note, it's interesting to read how other people beat a part of a game in a whole other way than I did.
For instance, when I was in the pitch black part of the catacombs for the first time, I didn't rush at all, I took it really carefully, I discovered that the skeletons eye would glow in the dark, so by looking after small bright dots, I could figure out where the skeletons was :p (Oh btw, this is a good example of learning by doing. I discovered myself that their eyes would glow, the game didn't tell me "Look for bright dots in the dark, and then highlighting the first skeleton, like many other games would have done.)

Xerxes

Insider
Anyway, learning by doing is ofc the best approach for a game.
I guess not everyone would rush through that hellhole. I really really hate tomb of the giant, it's just full of unfairness. I didn't even notice those white dots until I watched someone's play through. (Rurikhan maybe?)

Any way, I don't know why but I just keep coming back to dark souls. (to a lesser extent of demon's souls, it's personal preference). I enjoy reading item descriptions and setting up challenges, the most fun challenge I had was a no buff whip only challenge. Because I couldn't backstab or riposte, that made the game so much harder. It's just a game that is really easy to pick up, and start over. Every time I play through it, I get something new. If I feel like it, I can play it as normal, or I can just rush to the end and just enjoy the combat. Unlike all the rpgs made by bioware, which are all so damn long and repetitive.

It's in fact similar to half life, or portal I guess. You can choose how much content you want to take. You can ignore all the story and things that are going on in the backgrounds or you can explore and make up theories of your own. The games are tight and brief, so they have great replayability. Also, they almost never stops you and forces you to watch a cut-scene or talk to some npc that has 10 minutes of unskippable dialog.

Talking about item description, this is another thing I really miss. Since when did all major game developers stop writing these? I usually skips their boring dialog and those text log bullshit. That's just not good story telling, they suppose to weave exposition into the narrative, not just put them there and expecting players would read all of them.

My formula needs an addition, good rpg needs to have item descriptions.

(not just this is a sword, and it is sharp on the tip. Write something funny there or tell some of the story via items)

Cooper Holt

Insider
I think that RPG's should only be as difficult as the player wants them to be. Most games have a difficulty slider, but this one most likely won't.
I'm not good at video games.There, I said it. I'm really not. But I love playing them, and I love customizing my character and making my own decisions. I don't want this game to be too difficult, because it wouldn't be fun for me that way.
That's why I'm in favor of a difficulty slider. I'd keep it at "very easy", and others could put it where ever they like. Each person has their own opinions and playstyles, so I want this game to be able to fit as many as possible (hopefully including mine).

Komuflage

Insider
Any way, I don't know why but I just keep coming back to dark souls. (to a lesser extent of demon's souls, it's personal preference). I enjoy reading item descriptions and setting up challenges, the most fun challenge I had was a no buff whip only challenge. Because I couldn't backstab or riposte, that made the game so much harder. It's just a game that is really easy to pick up, and start over. Every time I play through it, I get something new. If I feel like it, I can play it as normal, or I can just rush to the end and just enjoy the combat.
Haha, I do the exact same thing, I come up with my own challenges to make the games (Both Demon and dark) more challenging, like No magic whatsoever, Complete them at lvl 1, without a single death, starting naked and only using weapons and armour from random drops from mobs (No "on the ground loot" or weapons dropped by side bosses) etc. It keeps the game fresh.
I also sometimes just rush through the game, and just enjoying the wonderful combat. Or I take it slow, watch all cutscenes and do all the optimal bosses and secret areas.

Also I to love Item descriptions, I've read every description in the souls game multiple times :p They're simple, but still fun to read and they give you a bit of backstory. :p

Nice to see we've something in common :D

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.