Worth the buy now?

Tony

Insider
There is currently a combat alpha out. Whether or not you think it's worth testing a game in an alpha state is really up to you. I think it is worth it because I'm very excited about the game and I like to be a part of improving the game through feedback and also being able to see the game progress. If someone isn't concerned about keeping up to date with the progress of SG they might not agree.

turtleman155

Insider
there is currently a combat alpha in which you fight through 10 opponents and i believe the next alpha release will be in a different format that has a wider scope so id say it was worth it for me atleast :D
Edit i am hugely excited for this game so im not sure if 66 bucks for the alpha tier seems fair to you but just to help the development of this game is great for me and the alphas is also great :)

Last edited:

lvk

Insider
I'd never deny BM some extra money. As for what to expect in the combat alpha - you're going to see some great technology and potential at work in harmony, but there's no full game yet. They only seem to be named alphas due to not being feature complete - encountering bugs is really rare.

If you want to see the game's technology and potential first-hand, the investment is certainly worth it for the excitement. If you want to give it to Bare Mettle for doing something new and different, go for it! Outside of that, it's better to wait. The price tag is certainly not there to be compared to similarly priced released titles, even though I still think I got more value out of this already than an average $60 game.

So basically, everything Tony said but worded slightly differently.

duch

Insider
I think it is worth buying, but why 66$? In next month prelude is coming, so 10$ pledge is ok. Almost 7x that amount for alpha one month before is nonsense for me...

I think it is worth buying, but why 66$? In next month prelude is coming, so 10$ pledge is ok. Almost 7x that amount for alpha one month before is nonsense for me...
Keep in mind that the prelude itself will go through Alpha and Beta stages. The FULL release of the prelude is more than a few months away I'd wager.

Madoc

Project Lead
Sui Generis is crowd funded, anyone making contributions is helping fund the project rather than buying the game. You can also get the game cheaper or get more for your money but when it comes to higher pledge levels you're doing it because you really want the game to be made and it's also ultimately a somewhat altruistic gesture. If it weren't for all the very generous people who pledge at higher levels we simply would not have sufficent funds to make the game. They really are called pledges and contributions with rewards for a reason, we're not trying to make money and pretending otherwise. We're using the money to develop the game and we treat every penny with respect. Hopefully the game will eventually become profitable and establish us as a game developer in the future but I hope that everyone who has followed us knows that we're all about the product and not the money, we will never compromise the product or the user experience to make more money.

This seems like an appropriate time to thank everyone again for contributing and generally supporting us!

Tony

Insider
Sui Generis is crowd funded, anyone making contributions is helping fund the project rather than buying the game. You can also get the game cheaper or get more for your money but when it comes to higher pledge levels you're doing it because you really want the game to be made and it's also ultimately a somewhat altruistic gesture. If it weren't for all the very generous people who pledge at higher levels we simply would not have sufficent funds to make the game. They really are called pledges and contributions with rewards for a reason, we're not trying to make money and pretending otherwise. We're using the money to develop the game and we treat every penny with respect. Hopefully the game will eventually become profitable and establish us as a game developer in the future but I hope that everyone who has followed us knows that we're all about the product and not the money, we will never compromise the product or the user experience to make more money.

This seems like an appropriate time to thank everyone again for contributing and generally supporting us!
Well said, @Madoc. It is a good reminder about the main purpose of crowdfunding: to support a product and not necessarily to purchase goods.

I believe in what the Bare Mettle team is doing and it really is awesome to see them devote their entire lives to making Sui Generis. Not many developers are willing to do this to the extent that the Bare Mettle team has. They all quit their day jobs and they moved into the studio they work at. It is rather humbling and awe inspiring to see a group of people pursue their dreams and to dedicate their entire lives towards doing so. Their passion for Sui Generis is obvious and it's refreshing to see developers that care about their game instead of just making a quick profit.

I am honored to be a backer and supporter of Bare Mettle; to be allowed to be a small part of helping to create Sui Generis.

JOhn6D

Insider
I contributed at the highest level not only because of the two digital copy reward but because I believe what Madoc and the other game devs are doing. I genuinely believe that this game is going to be one that is well worth the money I contributed and more. There are many games out there that use the "purchase the alpha" model as a way to make money from an incomplete game. You will not find that here. Sure you get access to the combat alpha, but it really is for feedback and testing purposes. There are many options for video games out there today but there are few that I think really employ what I like in a game rather than just recycling themes that have worked with other games. In my opinion it is well worth the contribution, but you may not find many who disagree in this forum.

duch

Insider

you are right. You are doing really great job and only when i get my sallary i will pledge more

I cannot help but agree here, after nearly 2 years working on a Mod for Skyrim the physics presented in Sui Genaris are simply amazing. I see this as a new way of handling things in a game environment, and the Game is a special bonus to the technology being developed by the team. I perhaps have a skewed perspective having fought against the limitations of other engines for the last 20 years to make them do what I want. This system is amazing to me and I fully support the effort and imagination that is going into the project.

In my opinion this team has made astounding developments in physics interactions and may well change the way future games are made, or at least that is my personal hope. I remember watching the Kickstarter every day hoping they made their goal to see this technology make it to production. Every supporter of this project have done so for their own reasons. My hat is off to the team here making many of the dreams of anyone who has fought against current physics systems in use come true, seeing the results they have already been able to produce at such an early stage compared to other physics engines is inspiring.

~Xalbrus aka Deapri

lvk

Insider
I cannot help but agree here, after nearly 2 years working on a Mod for Skyrim the physics presented in Sui Genaris are simply amazing. I see this as a new way of handling things in a game environment, and the Game is a special bonus to the technology being developed by the team. I perhaps have a skewed perspective having fought against the limitations of other engines for the last 20 years to make them do what I want. This system is amazing to me and I fully support the effort and imagination that is going into the project.
As someone who can relate to this feeling (as it initially made me back the Kickstarter), it's very much worth checking what's planned for the game. Having played and ultimately being disappointed in Skyrim as well, there are many, many things being planned never before seen in RPGs, in part due to engine limitations.

Things like truly dynamic NPCs, skill progression that makes sense, no artificial/numerical difficulty like levels and stats, a storyline you don't need to be involved in, armor that actually behaves as armor rather than a statistical bonus, a large, interconnected underworld, gameplay that lets you take the time to explore and search for little things rather than blazing through linear quests, the list can go on for as long as you want it to.

Everything on the list sounds really ambitious, and might feel reminiscent of the first and second time you actually got to play Skyrim. In the first playthrough you'll notice lots of cool new dialogue and additions all over the place, the second time (or later during the first time) you'll realize there's a scripted event set to play the first time you go just about anywhere.

But Bare Mettle has been continuously proving they're capable of more than just claiming things, so the hype is real. I'm hoping you can get excited for the game itself as well. Keep in mind all of the great engine work has been a precursor to making the actual game itself, which is fairly mindblowing. The quote I'm using in my signature is a great embodiment of the developers' sentiment.

(P.S. I don't dislike Skyrim, I enjoyed playing it and appreciate what it has achieved. But it's a great example of approaching the limits of what conventional engines are currently capable of, and what areas still have room for improvement as we approach them, or bypass them by developing a completely new engine.)

I love that quote, and I am extremely hyped for the game, at the time of endorsement it was purely from a perspective of the technological improvements. Speaking of Skyrim as an example, that is missing a large factor. Given how much content the modding community has exhumed from the game as unfinished and abandoned work. Ambition and imagination under corporate deadlines can be devastating. Personally I look at some of that work which was not finished until the community got to it and wonder how many of the artists and developers must have been depressed knowing their hard work wouldn't make the cut?

Bare Mettle has gone about this in a direction which I am personally very pleased with, the re-playability will be astounding and I am very much looking forward to every aspect of the project. In most cases I would wait for the finished product or not participate in the alpha while working on my projects. This is singularly the only development I have backed that has consumed my attention so completely.

Returning to the initial question, in my well not so humble (re-reading my posts) opinion backing the project is worth every moment and every penny.

Reactions: lvk

Andrakys

Insider
I was hesitant to pledge to alpha level so close to the beta combat release too but ultimately went with it as I did want to support this game. It is still small and I would hate for it to fail before seeing the light of day. Haven't been disappointed and can't wait to see what else comes along from this promising team :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.