Exanima 0.4.1.1: Combat Movement Changes

Madoc

Project Lead
We've been considering a fairly notable change to the combat movement controls and after watching recent videos of people not making proper use of the current controls we decided to make this a priority. We've been testing these new controls and we feel confident that they are an overall improvement so we just went ahead and put them in this update.

The fundamental change is that dashes are no longer executed by double tapping but simply by holding a key rather pressing it briefly. Single taps of a key will perform short steps. This simple change however has a few implications. Here is the reasoning behind this change:
  • We at Bare Mettle almost exclusively use dashes and feel that it is how combat works best, this change saves a whole lot of tapping keys making the controls more comfortable
  • New players should have a much easier time taking proper advantage of the movement system
  • This will hopefully better convey that movement keys in combat are intended for combat manoeuvres and NOT for navigating the environment
  • This control system supports more fine grained control allowing for diagonal dashes and steps and changes in direction before the character is fully commited to a step
  • Dashing directly forward at an opponent can now cover a measured distance to bring you into ideal striking range

So, try it out and let us know what you think. It may still need a little refinement but we think it's working sufficiently well and represents an improvement over the previous system.

Changes in version 0.4.1.1:
  • Dashes are now performed by holding down movement keys while steps result from single taps
  • Holding down or pressing combinations of movement keys allows for diagonal movements
  • Stepping in a new direction is possible before the character has fully committed to moving in a first
  • When a step is not immediately possible the character will attempt it for a short duration
  • Fixed torch not being held high when equipped in a certain order
  • Fixed null stat values showing up on certain items
  • Fixed an issue that could delay attempting to recover from prone

Note that if you are upgrading from version 0.4.0.x your current progress will be lost.

If you installed the game using the archive instead of setup you need to place the patch in your game folder before running it.

Account page link

Suggett66

Insider
These updates are coming at an insane pace, I love you BM :')

EDIT: I've literally just played around 3 minutes of combat and I can say without a doubt this is the best update to combat to date, this has brought it to life and made it feel a lot more alive, moving no longer feels sluggish and fights now fly around the room and it feels like an actual fight (not that it didn't before, it just feels a LOT better now) bravo GM bravo!

Last edited:

Murf

Ooh dangit, at the office today and not able to try out the moves yet dang! can't wait to try tonight!

Parco

this is gonna take some time getting used to, gonna have to undo a year of double tapping forcefully integrated into my fingers :p
out of curiosity, was i one of those not handling the controls properly?

Murf

I think it was my horrible performance the other nite he witnessed. ironic, since then I have started to use the dbl tap appropriately :D Oh well, just gotta relearn is all :)

Suggett66

Insider
Trust me guys, i've just practised for like 10 minutes it comes really easy, you just kinda fly about the room now so the only real challenge is controlling yourself xD Plus it's made it a lot better in my opinion, I can already see an improvement in myself due to the fact i did utilise the double tap a lot and now it's just made easier

Murf

I like the idea of diagonal dashing, give more mobility during combat, should come in handy, especially to dash past them closely and take a swing at their back.

Minq

Insider
Seconded! I thought I was good before. I could easily beat the expert arena and rarely needed potions in ExAnima, but man, Using dashes all the time feels better and makes the combat easier too (IMO). Took me a couple fights to re-adjust, but it feels better now, without a doubt.

Good stuff, Grazie, bare mettle!

ZaratanCho

Insider
Beat the novice arena a few times and played the expert a few times, i will play more but my feelings are pretty mixed. Here is why.

As it may be easier for newer players i am definitely having a harder time controlling my character as precisely as before.
Yes, i did use mostly dashes but i also used normal steps and started using normal steps more often when i got better. Now to do that i need to tap-tap-tap or be very careful since it's easy to overstep slightly and take a sword to the face. Basically it becomes inverted, now you tap for precision dodges and movements instead for bigger sweeping motions and swings. Question is which you use/d more or which is more intuative to be on tap-tap.

Feels more like it's leading you into fighting in a specific way hence it feels restrictive to me. Kinda felt more free flowing before.

It will be easier for new players and will be easier to land some hits surely, though it might also make them think that is the only correct way to fight but i guess everything has pros and cons.

Seems like there are some interesting movements you can do with this though, not saying it's terrible or anything, just thinking. I will give it more time, that's just after a few arenas, feels pretty good at times. Need to test it more. ;d

Edit: It also might make fighting in smaller places that are not the arena a bit weird.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Insider
I always liked the combat and had a great time with it. But it feels much more fluid now, much faster paced. It certainly as hell cannot be interpreted as "sluggish" anymore (Not that I ever looked at it that way). I havent properly adjusted yet, only tested it for a short while, but I definetivly get the feeling that this is easier to learn for beginners. Still a highly skill based combat system, and I still believe it to be the most in-depth and player reliant combat system I've ever seen in an rpg, but did you aim to make the combat easier? I haven't tested enough to really say wether its easier now or not, but just wondering.

However, another initial impression I got was that it felt less accurate and tactile. Its easier to controll diagonal movement, but it's kinda like you're constantly rushing around the combat field. As someone that uses a counter attacking fighting style, and relies heavily on correct timing and footwork, it feels less "viable" to fight this way now. Previously it felt like all styles were viable, but now it feels more pushed toward an aggressive and more action oriented style. Not that I think this makes every other style redundant or anything, but just more focused in a certain direction.

All that being said though, probably all of us are going to need some days to properly adjust to this update. These are only my initial impressions, so i'll probably post again about this in a few days, see how it feels then. Its what all of us should do really, let it really sink in, adjust ourselves and see how it feels then.

Murf

Its what all of us should do really, let it really sink in, adjust ourselves and see how it feels then.
Not a chance in hell. I haven't even applied it yet but I am going to complain now!

heh j/k it sounds like a great idea, can't wait to get home and get on and try out the new moves! I may actually fair better now, who knows.

Pancakez54

Insider
I much prefer the previous combat, to be honest. Now it feels like less of a dash and more of a "My character will take an occasional big step sometimes". Plus, I find it's much harder to make little steps than it ever was to make a dodge.

And I completely agree with Scarecrow. I never play aggressively. So, this is just a big nuisance to me :/

Madoc

Project Lead
I've actually got the input system set up so I can dynamically switch between the two methods and it would be very easy to add an option.

There isn't really anything you can't do with the new system that you could in the previous, it's ultimately just more flexible. It might take some getting used to and depending on your playstyle it might have the effect of requiring more tapping rather than less. Constantly "crabbing around" as we call it doesn't seem like a natural way to fight however and we wouldn't encourage it.

I quickly played with new patch/movement and the first impression is that it's faster pace now and you can be out of reach pretty easily and avoid beeing hit, a sort of jump in/jump out dance with your enemy. I find myself turning my back on my enemy quite often now, it's a bit hard to control because of the fast pace.Visualy, the "drunkenness" is more blatant now, and the combat seems less apeeling. I feel that I got more pressure before, and the danger feeling was more present.

ZaratanCho

Insider
It seems more fast paced to you because you haven't been constantly lunging around the place which is likely what you are doing now. ;d It will probably make you get out of the way more and avoid damage especially if you haven't done that much before.

Maybe the character is making too big of a lunges now. The ''jump in/jump out dance'' is kinda what i meant when i was saying it will cause you to fight in a fairly specific way, especially new players. But i dunno, as i said i need to play it more. I'll do that now.

Edit: Just try to go easy when pressing WASD so you don't lunge like crazy and non stop.

Last edited:

Mr_FauxPas

Insider
It is kind of easier now, for me at least. The diagonal dashes enable some new manoeuvres, or at leasts it makes them easier. The constant dashing makes the combat feel more fast-paced.

I kind of like it, but then as opposed to ZaratanCho I kind of suck at combat. Before I had a hard time getting to the 4rd novice guy, now I almost constantly get to the 6th.

Had a go in the expert arena, and I like it. It might be because of how I play (usually with the maul), but the easier dashes feel good. The diagonal movement makes it easier to throw more weight into swings, so I was able to knock over the 2-handed greatsword guy twice in a row (hate him).

One possible issue though: combat seemed quite a bit easier. After a few fights to adjust, I pretty much destroyed everyone. It could have just been an unusually smooth run, but the ability to dash in and out more easily means you can stay out of danger. You still need to get your timing right, of course, but the last few opponents were not much challenge because I could stay away from their weapons and dash in at the right time. Which is good, I guess, but there might need to be some more tweaks to keep the challenge high.

Important thing is that it feels good. Diagonal dashes alone make it superior.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.