Healing potions

So something's been on my mind for a few weeks now. In Exanima one document mentions the miraculous healing ointment whilst noting that there are some side effects. This immediately lead me to suspect that the various zombies spread throughout the dungeon are either experimental subjects from the ointment's research period or people who've simply used it too much.

Perhaps the ability to recover from injuries would lead to a certain degree of recklessness, of taking less responsibility for one's actions because "I'll just be able to heal it up later anyway". Slowly a person's humanity could deteriorate to the point where they finally end up a violent shell of what they once were - a zombie or ghoul.

Just thought I should share that with you.

I think this is thought provoking but you might've taken a wrong turn at some point heh
Maybe they were merely attributing the 'side effects' to the salve. Through the lore, there seems to be some presence bearing down on the complex which may cause mental instability among other things. I find it much more likely that the effects of that presence are just being rationalized with the salve.

RobG

Insider
Google define...

potion
ˈpəʊʃ(ə)n/
noun
  1. a liquid with healing, magical, or poisonous properties
I never really saw the big deal with calling the salve a potion. I get that saying potion would imply drinking but really, surely a potion is just a mixture of magical liquid, irrespective or viscosity or intended application/consumption. Correct me if I'm wrong. If the jar contained a really waxy substance intended to be smeared onto a wound it would surely last a lot longer than one use (a one use waxy salve would be such a tiny jar), and the opaque colour as well seems to the imply the substance has more liquid properties than waxy properties. It makes more sense for a one use salve like the one in game to pour like a liquid, therefore kinda is a potion by definition.

Murf

Google define...

potion
ˈpəʊʃ(ə)n/
noun
  1. a liquid with healing, magical, or poisonous properties
I never really saw the big deal with calling the salve a potion. I get that saying potion would imply drinking but really, surely a potion is just a mixture of magical liquid, irrespective or viscosity or intended application/consumption. Correct me if I'm wrong. If the jar contained a really waxy substance intended to be smeared onto a wound it would surely last a lot longer than one use (a one use waxy salve would be such a tiny jar), and the opaque colour as well seems to the imply the substance has more liquid properties than waxy properties. It makes more sense for a one use salve like the one in game to pour like a liquid, therefore kinda is a potion by definition.
because the desc of what you pick up tells you it is an ointment, potions are not ointments. If the creator call sit a salve, that pretty much makes it a salve I would think.

Last edited:

RobG

Insider
potions are not ointments
care to expand? The difference I see is that an ointment would be highly viscous, but the term potion just seems to be a generic term for any magic mix of liquids regardless of viscosity or application by my understanding. Like I say the size of the jar and aesthetic of the substance within seems to make it look more liquid than solid to me anyway. Even a lip balm sized jar you could probably use that amount of balm to cover your entire body.

ZaratanCho

Insider
It doesn't seem liquid to me, also if you pour it and its liquid doubt it will be in a jar such as this. Not something i would call a potion for sure. Salve is a better description because it tells you, you don't drink it. Potion seems like something you would drink, hence liquid.

RobG

Insider
It doesn't seem liquid to me, also if you pour it and its liquid doubt it will be in a jar such as this. Not something i would call a potion for sure. Salve is a better description because it tells you, you don't drink it. Potion seems like something you would drink, hence liquid.
If it wasn't liquid though it wouldn't be one time use surely in this sized jar. And it would have a more opaque look to it rather than translucent. Anyway what I'm getting at really is the term potion only implies drinking, and really any type of magical liquidy shit in a jar is a potion.

Murf

Liquid is liquid, ointment is not a liquid.

Then you will have to speak to Madoc, he created the desc and also calls them salves, since ointments are salves. The size ism also relative... surely some of the weapons aren't the size they appear to be on screen.

RobG

Insider
liquid
ˈlɪkwɪd/
noun
  1. 1.
    a substance that flows freely but is of constant volume, having a consistency like that of water or oil.
ointment
ˈɔɪntm(ə)nt/
noun
  1. a smooth oily substance that is rubbed on the skin for medicinal purposes or as a cosmetic.

Murf

Exactly, thank you for proving my point. Those are healing salves in the game.
Ointments do not flow freely.

Murf

In which case the jar is too big and it shouldnt be one use item... my point

You are ok with carrying around a compass that is the size of your head though? Or do you just assume it is actual compass size?

RobG

Insider
if it goes bad really fast then why put it in massive jars? makes no sense. I'm not trying to be argumentative its just something I have been thinking about anyway.

Parco

Maybe the reason the character uses it all at once is because the character got no self control; "ooo shiinyy, me like shiny, me bath in shiny" and the character splashes it all the body

RobG

Insider
You are ok with carrying around a compass that is the size of your head though? Or do you just assume it is actual compass size?
no I actually am ok with everything, I just have an easier time with the salve being a more liquidy substance than a beeswax which in my mind is a bit illogical. I imagine it more like honey consistency anyway. Jars of beeswax and things like that last for years.

Scarecrow

Insider
When we start discussing what the substance of the healing jars feels like, you know there are little in form of discussions on the forum...

@Balgin the Dwarf While I think that's an interesting theory, I have my doubts that that's actually the case. There seems to be a lot of other crazy stuff going on down there to contribute to the existence of the zombies. If the healing salve were the cause, then we as players should be undergoing changes after a while as well from using it, which I find quite unlikely. In fact, we experience no side effects whatsoever from using the salves. That would be cool though, if we slowly started turning from excessive use. But like TwoPumpWarrior said, I think the side effects aren't originating from the salves, but they rationalize it by pointing to it. Its only human nature to seek a logical explanation to what we don't understand, after all.

Reactions: Guy

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.