Elimination mode

konggary

Does anyone know how long you're supposed to last?

I made it 6 opponents in before I was diced by a cleaver- the reward seems very low for that kind of endurance.

I would almost rather see a mode where you earn money for each defeated opponent, earning slightly more as you go on as the opponents get harder and you lose stamina.

Murf

It's not meant to be easy for sure, I believe it is six opponents total.

Don't forget all the game balances and risk/reward stuff has yet to be finalized. :)

Tony

Insider
It's not meant to be easy for sure, I believe it is six opponents total.

Don't forget all the game balances and risk/reward stuff has yet to be finalized. :)
Just a slight correction: there are 5 opponents in an elimination match.

Mowglia

I made it 6 opponents in before I was diced by a cleaver- the reward seems very low for that kind of endurance.

The reward is very low, considering the risk! For example:

A Duel Inept/Inept Entry 1c Win 5c (profit 4c),
And an Elimination Inept/Inept Entry 3c Win 1s 6c (profit 15c),
Clearly the absolute minimum profit for an Elimination Inept/Inept would be 5 * 4c = 20c profit.

Similarly:

A Duel Aspirant/Aspirant Entry 2c Win 10c (profit 8c),
And an Elimination Aspirant/Aspirant Entry 6c Win 3s (profit 30c),
Clearly the absolute minimum profit for an Elimination Aspirant/Aspirant would be 5 * 8c = 40c.

Except even if this is addressed it fails to take into account the risk involved in Eliminations (i.e., potentially starting each fight with ever-increasing permanent damage, and a loss of the payout if you wipe).

Therefore (using the mechanism above) I would recommend multiplying the current payout for Eliminations by a factor of about 4 to reflect the risk.

A better mechanism to handle the payout for Eliminations would be to make the payout a function of Duel payouts (at a given Tier/Rank):

Elimination Payout = f (Duel Payout).

For example:

Assume a Duel at a given Tier/Rank yields a profit of x,
Then the absolute minimum profit for an Elimination at the same Tier/Rank would be 5 * x = 5x.

Except this fails to take into account the fact that 5 wins must be achieved to obtain the payout. So assume the odds of surviving the Elimination are 50/50 = 50% (or whatever), then the payout would be doubled (in this case) to reflect this. So now the Elimination payout = 2 * 5x = 10x.

Except this fails to take into account the fact that you can't heal between fights, and the risk associated with having increased permanent damage at the start of each fight (increased risk of permadeath). So assume you're going to award an additional basic Duel payout (or whatever) for each fight in the Elimination to reflect this, the Elimination payout then becomes:

Elimination Payout = (2 * 5x) + 5x = 15x.

In other words:

Elimination Payout = 15 * Duel Payout (at a given Tier/Rank).

Having said the above it's worth bearing in mind that this is effectively an issue of balance, which therefore ought to be left until content is complete and bugs are fixed.

Murf

Maybe bump it up a couple diads, but not multiply I don't think. Just because a elim has 5 indiv bouts in it does not necc mean it should be rewarded on the same payout as a duel.

dustbiter

Elimination matches are useful for quick farming, say you need that bit more cash to buy an item while it is still in store.

They are also useful for grinding convenience, master tier costs 1 silver to enter and gives one gold when you win. If you are well armoured and have trouble picking up red damage, elimination matches are fairly easy.

Mowglia

If you are well armoured and have trouble picking up red damage, elimination matches are fairly easy.

Yup, this effect is common to most fights; the risk of permanent death is significantly reduced once chain and plate armour are obtained. Even leather makes a lot of difference. Which is something I completely overlooked. Increasing payout by a factor of 4 would have been way over the top, especially at later Ranks o_O

So it seems the Get Rich Quick scheme failed :D

Nevertheless, the fact remains that Elimination is an extremely dangerous activity at Inept/Aspirant Rank and still risky at Novice Rank, particularly at higher Tiers.

As things stand Eliminations have been tweaked so each fight gives 110% payout of what an equivalent Duel yields (an increase of almost 50% on what it was), and a similar situation probably exists regarding xp yield (although this is harder to check).

This seems reasonable. At Novice Rank and below the risk is rewarded by additional cash and xps over Duels (if you've got the potatos), and at maxed Rank (when xps are irrelevant) the extra cash balances the probability that the occasional Elimination might still be lost (rendering the entire payout void).

Zoltan

Supporter
Elimination is my preferred mode simply because it's challenging and fun, it keep the taste of the older Arena build.

I would also like an escalation mode, Like elimination but the two would start with an inept equipment and scale for each round to next equipment level until master, so you always have an equipment level lower than opponent or less if you choose so.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.