Realistic Gameplay

MrIdontKnow

Insider
What I loved about your pitch video was that you said you don't want people to just be able and kill everything, that sometimes being defensive is better, running like hell isn't whimpy, but smart. You didn't say that word for word, but it resembled what you said.

This is a medieval world, and from what I learned in my History classes, those times weren't great for people, the poor we're poor and the rich we're, well poor. There were mainly small villages and cities, and other larger cities that offered some protection for its residents. It was a work to survive time of feeling, not like now where if you don't work you get paid? The daytime was harsh and the nighttime was ever harsher, are we going to see this?

You speak of being defensive sometimes, will our characters run out of steam and need sleep? Sure I can go for 24 hours if I sit on my computer all day, but fighting for my life? Maybe if the adrenaline kicks in a day and half but other than that I'd need to sleep. For the lone warrior, beds don't come cheap, and if your broke, you sleep on the sidewalk. Sleeping on the side walk leaves you vulnerable to being robbed, attacked, kidnapped and thrown into the Forrest with your hands tied. I wouldn't like that to happen to me? Consequences, Consequences, Consequences!

Lets get Sui Generis because you can run into the wild and kill kill kill kill! Although we love to kill, we can't kill constantly! And if we need money, sure we can sell items we collect from people, or steal? Sell pelts and other valuables lost in the vast unknown.

I seriously think you should implement a hunting system, maybe a fishing system, definitely a resting system that you can choose to pay for a bed or camp under the stars, but that leads to thieves, bears, and poisonous snakes, OR THAT MASSIVE MONSTER IN YOUR PRE-ALPHA COMBAT VIDEO!, Imagine waking up next to that beast? Do NOT implement an alcohol system, haha!

It's a dog eat dog world out there. Be ready.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
Another few questions I'd like to add are

Will this game include natural disasters that affect gameplay and game worlds?

Is fire going to feature in this game? Can we hold pieces of burning wood for light, and can we set things on fire with spells?

Is the game world changeable? For example can you affect the typography of the world by doing something (don't know what), and do buildings have physics? Will they fall or break?

Madoc

Project Lead
In general our aim is to only provide mechanics that are fun and fit with the pace of the game rather than going for realism on all fronts. Resting sounds like one of those things that could become tedious. What if you're somewhere where resting safely is simply not possible? The same goes for food, it might seem like an interesting mechanic at first but in our experience it eventually just gets tedious. Sometimes you just want to do something more interesting than procuring food for your character.

Settings things on fire on the other hand definitely fits into the fun category. We want fire to be pretty spectacular, just started doing something here but it's still basic, might be able to sneak something simple into a video soon.

Natural disasters of any significant scale is not something that we've ever really considered. Collapsing whole buildings is not something we're aiming to do. The odd wall, sure. A whole building is another matter entirely.

The game world can undergo some pretty drastic changes as a result of what might happen in a playthrough, at least that's our intent. As to someone actually writing about it, again, not something we've considered. Interesting suggestion though.

Bibidibop

Insider
On the matter of fire, flame throwers were invented in ancient times and the Byzantines had man portable ones. Could we have this in game?

Leo

Insider
In general our aim is to only provide mechanics that are fun and fit with the pace of the game rather than going for realism on all fronts. Resting sounds like one of those things that could become tedious. What if you're somewhere where resting safely is simply not possible? The same goes for food, it might seem like an interesting mechanic at first but in our experience it eventually just gets tedious. Sometimes you just want to do something more interesting than procuring food for your character.

Settings things on fire on the other hand definitely fits into the fun category. We want fire to be pretty spectacular, just started doing something here but it's still basic, might be able to sneak something simple into a video soon.

Natural disasters of any significant scale is not something that we've ever really considered. Collapsing whole buildings is not something we're aiming to do. The odd wall, sure. A whole building is another matter entirely.

The game world can undergo some pretty drastic changes as a result of what might happen in a playthrough, at least that's our intent. As to someone actually writing about it, again, not something we've considered. Interesting suggestion though.
What about an earthquake isn't that relatively easy to do? or a Tsunami or forest fire.

Fawz

Insider
What about an earthquake isn't that relatively easy to do? or a Tsunami or forest fire.
No, it is very far from being relatively easy to do when the game is a non-cinematic/scripted physics heavy seamless open world. Forget the fact that a lot of terrain manipulation and object destruction would be needed (of which we have not seen or heard) but the Physics heavy character models would behave very erratically in those types of situations. The amount of physics calculations that would have to occur in real time when so much extra stimuli happens to the Physics based characters and world would probably have some very unwanted results.

As cool of an addition as it might be, I really don't think it would add much to gameplay and with the effort it would take to implement properly I don't see it happening, at least not for launch since it's probably not high on the priority list. Smaller forms of the type of disasters you talked about might see their way into the game though (ie: Shifting terrain, Hazardous fire and dangerous moving water)

Leo

Insider
No, it is very far from being relatively easy to do when the game is a non-cinematic/scripted physics heavy seamless open world. Forget the fact that a lot of terrain manipulation and object destruction would be needed (of which we have not seen or heard) but the Physics heavy character models would behave very erratically in those types of situations. The amount of physics calculations that would have to occur in real time when so much extra stimuli happens to the Physics based characters and world would probably have some very unwanted results.

As cool of an addition as it might be, I really don't think it would add much to gameplay and with the effort it would take to implement properly I don't see it happening, at least not for launch since it's probably not high on the priority list. Smaller forms of the type of disasters you talked about might see their way into the game though (ie: Shifting terrain, Hazardous fire and dangerous moving water)
I'm sorry let me refrase that by earthquake i mean earthshake with no actual destruction or anything like that just an earth shake and a tsunami is just trowing a bunch of water particles on the shores or in a city. Even little things like ligthing and rain will be exciting.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.