Owning and Living in Homes

Will there be the option to own a home and live as you see fit? Maybe have the option to start a business on your own property as a farmer or selling various goods?? This is probably an option that would work out best as an online feature.

This might be irrelevant depending on when you decide to settle down and live a "normal life", but the devs have said that events will happen regardless of what you do. So, if the world is ending and you decide to become a butcher and just live the quiet life, you might not be living for very long.

However, if you have successfully averted the apocalypse, maybe you should be able to "retire". Just a thought.

Also, I don't know if there will be an apocalypse. The devs have been very secretive about the central plotlines of the game. :(

Madoc

Project Lead
Getting a "normal job" is not currently a planned feature, for the reasons I explained in the text linked above and others. Player housing however is something we do want to introduce. We said that you will be able to carry your character across to new world instances and we are looking at ways to make your home also persist through multiple world instances. Obviously on a new playthrough with the same character the starting conditions will not be the same.

Sweet. What about owning a keep of some sort. Is there going to be a way where the player is going to be in a minimal form of 'power'. This being like a vassal/bannerman (whatever you want to call it) for a certain lord.

Meaghan Ballard

Supporter
One thing I want to know, is what limits will there be on the home? Do I have to purchase an already built house in town, or can I claim a piece of land on the top of a mountain and build my own there? Admittedly building your own house would probably make the whole thing needlessly complicated, but I would still want to build my own castle if I could, because who doesn't want a castle?

Komuflage

Insider
One thing I want to know, is what limits will there be on the home? Do I have to purchase an already built house in town, or can I claim a piece of land on the top of a mountain and build my own there? Admittedly building your own house would probably make the whole thing needlessly complicated, but I would still want to build my own castle if I could, because who doesn't want a castle?
well, building ur own home would sure be interesting, but I don't think it'll be able to work similar to minecraft. (Were you can construct it piece by piece) But a system with predefined models (Blueprints) that need a specific amount of materials in order to build would be awesome. Ofc this would not make it to the final game, but would be fun as a dlc/update later on.

Yeah, they've said many times that the first release will be focused on the adventuring life so we have to ask ourselves how much building a house adds to that compared to owning one. I guess getting the materials could be interesting if you wanted rare wood for the floor boards or something but beyond that I don't think it adds all that much. The only other thing I'm thinking is that if there was construction there may be destruction, this has already been ruled out for large structures though.

Dakkafex

Insider
Well i think adding some player owned property could play a big role in the game, for example:
there are big dungeons that you wont come out of for hours or a day(real time), or you might have to travel far, you will need food right?, farm your own.

crafting, could give you a big advantage in your own house, or possibly a penalty for the laziness.
your house might be attacked by a small horde of skeletons while in your home because of some pissed of npc that could have send the bastards after you.

And ofcource the satisfaction for building your own house by crafting a gathering the materials(might take a week)

I certainly agree with the player being able to own houses. Building houses seems a bit iffy to me though. A small log shack can be made in a day or two, but large structures, like castles would really take much too long if we were to keep any semblance of realism, and there would be no way you would be able to construct stuff like that alone. The best implementation would be perhaps to allow the player to start a homestead with a little shack if they're the loner type, or, if you've massed up a lot of followers, or have the wealth to hire a lot of workers, larger structures could be done. Another problem is gathering the resources. Would the player chop down a tree and get a predetermined amount of 'wood' points, or would the actual length and girth of the resulting log be taken into account during construction? And then we have the stone for a castle. You're gonna need a quarry, and workers to work in that quarry if you ever plan on achieving more than a small tower, IMO.

And then, farming. This idea seems a little iffy, to me. If we continue the semblance of realism, farms will need to be maintained. Not a problem if you're a lord with peasants under your belt, but if you're the aforementioned loner type, nobody is going to watch your crops for you while you're out slaying trolls miles away from civilization. Someone might steal your crops, or destroy them if you have enemies. Animals could ravage your fields, or your crops could get some sort of disease that require attention. I don't really know if BM is going for levels of realism that extremely high, but I don't want to see 'hit mountain side with pickaxe for 2 hours, build grand castle' or 'Throw seeds on dirt, ignore it for 4 hours while crops that the god of farming envies grow in your absence."

Oona

Insider
^If you're going to be the loner type, then I don't think you'd need a whole farm, if you're going to use what you grow for yourself and not to sell. You could have a little garden I guess, to grow herbs for healing potions, poisons... It wouldn't be too complicated I think.

Oona

Insider
"Potion: a drink or draft, especially one having or reputed to have medicinal, poisonous, or magical powers"

Healing potion, healing reagents, medicine, same thing, different way of saying it.

tiny lampe

Insider
I think there was some misunderstanding. Let me clarify; I understand health potions as an item that, instantly or in a short amount of time, substantially restores your health bar. Skyrim for example has plemty of these. Madoc stated that there won't by anything like that in Sui Generis. He said that the game will (or may) feature items that slightly increase your natural (health) regeneration capacity. While you can use a traditional health potion to bring you to full health when you are about to die, you can't use a regeneration reagent to do that. Traditional potions make you almost immortal, regeneration reagents don't do anything for you if you are sufficiently damaged. So, no, from a gameplay mechanics perspective thery are not the same thing at all.

I think you guys are referring to poultices? In (some?) D&D games they are used to regenrate X amount of HP during the course of one day..

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.