Coffee Diary 20/2/23

Zetheros

Developer
Hey Exanimates,

The collision damage system has been in testing for a few days now and it seems to be working very well and as intended. This ended up being quite different and more advanced compared to our original solution as we tried to cover more cases and applications. There's a tricky balance between realism and gameplay here in taking raw physics inputs and figuring out what the outcome should be in different situations. We found some elegant solutions that aren't hacky and temperamental and indeed it seemed to have worked out really well.

We also introduced some important changes to object interaction. Object placement is a lot easier and more intuitive, it will try to place objects in the last valid position displayed rather than snapping them back to their original position unless manually cancelled, and you no longer need to target a valid location with the mouse to move an object somewhere where it can rest on something. We've also added a new interaction mode that allows you to grab a point on an object and drag it. With this you can make fine adjustments to object positions without picking them up and drag objects with you as you walk. These are some good QoL changes that we've been wanting to make for some time, we know that these things could feel quite fiddly and frustrating.

There were lots of bug and other fixes and things are looking very solid now. We've tested the really important engine and game system changes and we don't plan to make any more real additions to the test version. We're now focusing entirely on content related things for the full update. Madoc's been very busy with all these new systems and hasn't been free to support the art and level design guys with some final touches they need to make to new content.

Right now we're making an important addition to our terrain design tools which will allow level designers to add and customise procedural terrain brushes with interactive results. This previously required Madoc to program in new brushes, so this will give the artists much more freedom and a better workflow. It's also part of a solution to the problem of creating a large seamless open world with hundreds or thousands of brushes that all potentially need to interact with each other. Nothing really new here, and it's based on existing systems, but it's moved up our to-do list as we're making these kind of additions to a lot of different content right now.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Ladante

You know, every once in awhile I come back here to read these updates. On and off for the last few years. It amazes me that every time without fail I see Lapty with something different to say, with things I've not seen done with text before. I think it's funny and I appreciate the dedication, of not only the folks working on the game, but even Lapty being here every time to say something. In a way I guess you guys don't know just how many people watch these Monday Coffee Diarys, but thank you for them all the same. I'll be watching.

miragae

At first I was a bit annoyed by his replies, but now I really hope Lapty will make it to the game as an NPC character :D Sui Generis maybe?

Ray

You know, every once in awhile I come back here to read these updates. On and off for the last few years. It amazes me that every time without fail I see Lapty with something different to say, with things I've not seen done with text before. I think it's funny and I appreciate the dedication, of not only the folks working on the game, but even Lapty being here every time to say something. In a way I guess you guys don't know just how many people watch these Monday Coffee Diarys, but thank you for them all the same. I'll be watching.
Yeah, bet!
I was just reading the dev diaries like I do once per couple months and I was thinking the same thing.
"This guy....I've seen him on every post...who is this guy?! XD".
He always comments but doesn't always speak.
He's a living mistery.

Ray

it will try to place objects in the last valid position displayed rather than snapping them back to their original position unless manually cancelled
Oh my god, yes !
That's so great, honestly I liked to fiddle around with the props in the environment early in the game, and it was really frustrating how the props kept resetting :)
Collision & Environment damage progress sounds great, honestly feels like an indispensable part of the game, being physics based and such, and I will definetly try a kill-by-props-only run once haha.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.