skills in 0.6.3 not working (?)

Nomad

Playing the game today (awesome with an update by the way) I can't really tell if the skills are working at all.
I cant tell if the armour skills are working, but the melee skills definitely don't seem to be working. Have equip "Remise" my character dont swing twice and dont seem to be swinging faster with or without the skill equip if I do it manually.
The same for Riposte; there doesn't seem to be anything happening.
The leveling up works, but if I switch I "loose" my acquired progress for some reason - that just seems a little weird.

Aramis

Insider
Are you sure you have fully "learned" the skills you are testing? Your character doesn't learn the skill as soon as you choose it, he/she only learns the skill once that specific skill's progress bar is filled up. Haven't tested the melee skills much, but armor skills seem to be working great for me.

Nomad

Are you sure you have fully "learned" the skills you are testing? Your character doesn't learn the skill as soon as you choose it, he/she only learns the skill once that specific skill's progress bar is filled up. Haven't tested the melee skills much, but armor skills seem to be working great for me.
No, Im not sure. I cant really tell to be honest

Aramis

Insider
No, Im not sure. I cant really tell to be honest
Let me put it another way. Your character has only learned a skill, once you have enough experience to start learning another one. Think of it this way - when you choose a skill, your character starts "learning" it, all the experience you gain goes into "training" this skill. When the skill is learned you can start "learning" some other skill. I'm not explaining it very well, so let me post a screenshot:

In the screenshot below you can see one of my characters progress bars. The two melee skills, and the three first Armour skills are already active - my character is already using them in-game. The last Armour skill - the one which is grayed out, with it's progress bar still filling up - is the one my character is currently learning. This skill is not yet active in game, and my character will only reap the benefits from it once the progress bar is filled. Then I can start "learning" a new skill.

Nomad

Let me put it another way. Your character has only learned a skill, once you have enough experience to start learning another one. Think of it this way - when you choose a skill, your character starts "learning" it, all the experience you gain goes into "training" this skill. When the skill is learned you can start "learning" some other skill. I'm not explaining it very well, so let me post a screenshot:

In the screenshot below you can see one of my characters progress bars. The two melee skills, and the three first Armour skills are already active - my character is already using them in-game. The last Armour skill - the one which is grayed out, with it's progress bar still filling up - is the one my character is currently learning. This skill is not yet active in game, and my character will only reap the benefits from it once the progress bar is filled. Then I can start "learning" a new skill.

Then I dont think its working. I have full bars in my skill tree.
But its a weird system, how can you learn something if you dont try? Take remise for ex. You pick the skill but you cant swing first one way and then another right away. I mean, how hard is that?!

Aramis

Insider
Then I dont think its working. I have full bars in my skill tree.
But its a weird system, how can you learn something if you dont try? Take remise for ex. You pick the skill but you cant swing first one way and then another right away. I mean, how hard is that?!
After playing with it a bit it seems to be working fine for me. If I press and hold my left mouse button after my character has fully "learned" remis, he will swing first one way, and then automatically swing the other way. If i "forget technique" and hold the button, my character only swings one way - with a longer break between the swings.

Personally I kind of like the system, but I see your point. Maybe "practicing" a skill could make you character perform it "some of the time," so that he actually physically "practices" in the game - It would make more "sense," but I honestly think a system like that would make combat unpredictable and frustrating. Exanima's combat is very reliant on the player's skill, so it is very important that the player can actually know how the character will react to his input.

Nomad

I disagree; Like you said "Exanima's combat is very reliant on the player's skill, so it is very important that the player actually know how the character will react to his input."
So as soon as you pick a skill he should be able to do it. However, there could be a proficiency system underneath.

But about it not working, I think that it might have something to do with my save file. I will try starting a new character.

Aramis

Insider
I disagree; Like you said "Exanima's combat is very reliant on the player's skill, so it is very important that the player actually know how the character will react to his input."
So as soon as you pick a skill he should be able to do it. However, there could be a proficiency system underneath.
It should probably be better explained at least.

But about it not working, I think that it might have something to do with my save file. I will try starting a new character.
Hope it works.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.