AI director?

Xerxes

Insider
For those haven't heard of the term "AI director", it's a made up term firstly used in Valve's zombie massacre fun house left 4 dead for an mysterious entity that controls many parameters to create a dynamic experience in a tense but fair environment.

Put away its fancy name, to its roots, AI director is just an algorithm that tracks player's performance and put that into analyze then adjusting the game accordingly to create the max amount of tension and emotional fluctuation.

For example, in a game like sui generis, at some point, the player would run out healing potions (or food or what ever life saving magical beans), the AI director would utilize this by spawning a few healing pots surrounded by some dead adventurers. The moment the player picks up the pots, ambient noises of monster growling would starts to play and shortly after a million war dogs will rush in and try to tear the unsuspecting player to shreds.

Another example would be, if the player has performed too well, he literally ripped apart all the monsters that are on his way with skillful dodges and parrying. The AI director will spawn a slow moving powerful minotaur with a pack of fast moving hungry wolves to hunt the player down.

The possibility here is endless. Even in hard games like dark souls, once you get used to the seven or eight tricks the game would throw at you, you can pretty much go through the entire game within a few hours. But if Sui generis would introduce AI director to its core system, then not only every play-through of the game would feel totally different, but also open up many possibilities of expanding the game's depth without making the new elements or chucks seemed out of place.

This sounds like a great idea but I don't think it should be part of the main Sui Generis game mode. If this was in the game, it would remove the interconnectivity and reasoning behind everything that the event system causes to happen. However, I can envision a whole game mode with randomly generated dungeons which you would crawl through for the sake of survival like Legend of Grimrock. In this dungeon, it would use this AI director system and since there is no storyline or characters in there (except for maybe the odd merchant or companion), it wouldn't matter that there was anything random going on.

Xerxes

Insider
This sounds like a great idea but I don't think it should be part of the main Sui Generis game mode. If this was in the game, it would remove the interconnectivity and reasoning behind everything that the event system causes to happen.
It's possible to incorporate this seamlessly into SG's Dynamic event and quest system. No matter how structured the game is, there are always some random encounters that have no place in the story. A few wolves, or some wandering skeletons are too small to be part of the plot. To put it into analogy, if the dynamic event generation (DEG) is the trunk of the tree, then AI director is in charge to put small branches at places to fill up the holes.

Let's say, the DEG set up a chain of events surrounding the village, the big guy behind everything is a bandit leader, while all the bandits are connected to him, it makes sense wolves, tigers, spiders can still be around without having any back story. To me, there are two big things that affecting a sandbox game's quality. 1. how tight the story is, and how fast the story unfolds. 2. how fun it is to mess around while traveling across the landscape.

SG nails 1 down, but 2 still needs a bit work.

A game can have the most satisfying combat to it, like Diablo 3, but it can still be tedious when it repeats itself for every battle. (Just have a look at how cool the animation and impact sounds are in D3, it's such a shame that almost everything else about that bland garbage is designed by 12 years old)
Even games like skyrim which is critically claimed to be the game that has the most messing around potential, (claimed by mindless drones and idiots), skyrim's random encounters are badly balanced and awfully paced. Not to mention the stupid fast travel breaks immersion. You could avoid using the fast travel, but that makes the game too slow.

The bane of sandboxes is how often you have to travel for straight 10 minutes before you can have any fun. All the contents are structured at specific places and have next to nothing in between.

What AI director does at its best, is creating an immersive experience. The game will constantly surprise you and trick you, the troubles the AI director thrown at the player make arriving at the destination all that sweeter.

AI director makes the game ever evolving and fresh, this is nothing like throw a few hundreds different monsters at the player randomly and hope they can have fun. It is nothing even the modding community can ever make.

One thing I don't want to see in SG however, is making most of the monsters humanoid. That's the main reason all the elder scroll games turned me down. When you are killing humans every few seconds, and all the guards are stupid morons; it's hard to have any feeling towards all the characters in the game.
I have a primitive solution here. Make it so that the humanoids are inter-connected via the REG, non-human monsters are placed by the AI director. This way, the game's story will remain its weight while keep the game constantly engaging.

Killing people without reasons breaks immersion for me, that's why I hate most of those AAA titles, but love doom and duke nukem.

Tom

Insider
The AI director is a really impressive and cool feature, but it only works for certain kinds of games (like L4D, as it was mentioned above). Like
fluffydino2000
said, it would remove essential aspects of Sui Generis: instead of being sandbox, where things are one way in terms of NPCs, events, and so on, it would start revolving around the player's condition rather than the consequences of his actions.

So this AI director, as cool as it is, wouldn't work for us, unfortunately.

Yeah again, It isn't just humans that will be interconnected. What if a village is over run by spiders because they were pushed out of the underworld by the player. That couldn't be achieved by the AI director and yet would create huge consequences as it affects so many other things. If anything is detached from the web of interconnectivity it ultimately removes lots of very interesting potential outcomes.

And as Tom says, the strengths of SG seem to be the physics and collisions and how they help combat and the dynamic story and events brought about by individual AIs. If you were to make the game change the story based of the players condition by say spawning spiders in the village as he goes there to recover. You've lost the strength and power that comes from choice and consequence.

Reactions: Tom

Omenov

Insider
I know I've been replying to old posts but hey I'm new here and I got opinions hah 8).

I think the whole AI director thing could be helpful in filling out the unoccupied areas of the world. Not that they need to spawn spiders in a town or change anything about the story but what it can do is as you walk down the path headed to who knows where a wolf comes walking toward you. Now theres a battle and you walk away with a wolf pelt. Next time you walk on the same path nothing happens or a group of bandits are camping off to the side. Other wise you walk down a path and oh look a wolf...next time you head down that path ..oh look a wolf.... What I have read is a persistent world so no re spawns and death is permanent for enemies at least. So... You clear a area from here to there and from now on if there is no mechanic to repopulate the area being a spawn or AI director type system the it's empty. Then what? You move on until you've wiped the whole world clean and you are alone. I'm not talking about a re spawn just a spawn of some sort. It does not need to be the exact same thing that spawns but somehow fill this persistent world with things to do. I'm not really for the AI director adding more if you are doing well or anything like that just some mechanic to repopulate.

The need for a re-population mechanic is an interesting topic. I agree that things should enter the world at a similar rate that they leave it. Being an island setting, this could be immigration after a very long time playing on one world. Characters with no story or link to the world could come in and try and survive. It could be enough.

But animals and monsters are the real issues, it could be that they just repopulate at a certain rate to try and keep a balanced ecosystem. If they kill each other, this should be very easy.

But all of this essential spawning does take away from the sense of reality. It would need to be very subtle. If an AI director could be made to subtly simulate an ecosystem and immigration, I'd be all for it.

Fawz

Insider
With the way the NPC story interaction is planned to be introduced, I really don't think there should be a system to automatically repopulate the world with intractable NPCs. It would probably be more trouble than it's worth and in the end would remove the impact NPCs can have on the story due to them having to be somewhat procedurally generated.

That being said I do think there should be some sort of feature to re-populate certain areas with specific types of enemies to ensure the world doesn't become too much of a barren wasteland after a couple of hours. Although it has been stated that you can take your character and drop him in and out of worlds, which with the nature of the open world Sandbox design works out very well. Where appropriate it would make sense if the world becomes a barren wasteland due to actions you have taken (or normal NPCs get wiped out and replaced by hostile creatures)

Based on the footage we've seen I can already see a few places where it would make sense to have Monsters repopulate after being wiped out. Places like the woods having a constant cycle of wildlife, the swamps to keep spewing skeletons and undead creatures from the muddy waters or the underground to have portals to other worlds that keep spewing foul creatures.

What I wouldn't want to see is a town that's been wiped out or a an abandoned bandit camp to get repopulated (unless it's NPCs from elsewhere in the world that migrate to the now vacant location)

Omenov

Insider
With the way the NPC story interaction is planned to be introduced, I really don't think there should be a system to automatically repopulate the world with intractable NPCs. It would probably be more trouble than it's worth and in the end would remove the impact NPCs can have on the story due to them having to be somewhat procedurally generated.

That being said I do think there should be some sort of feature to re-populate certain areas with specific types of enemies to ensure the world doesn't become too much of a barren wasteland after a couple of hours. Although it has been stated that you can take your character and drop him in and out of worlds, which with the nature of the open world Sandbox design works out very well. Where appropriate it would make sense if the world becomes a barren wasteland due to actions you have taken (or normal NPCs get wiped out and replaced by hostile creatures)

Based on the footage we've seen I can already see a few places where it would make sense to have Monsters repopulate after being wiped out. Places like the woods having a constant cycle of wildlife, the swamps to keep spewing skeletons and undead creatures from the muddy waters or the underground to have portals to other worlds that keep spewing foul creatures.

What I wouldn't want to see is a town that's been wiped out or a an abandoned bandit camp to get repopulated (unless it's NPCs from elsewhere in the world that migrate to the now vacant location)
Monsters could come from the underworld through an un found hole and people in a town could come from ships at a dock area there for trading or whatever... I'm not for a random pop of heres a whole new population in the town you just wiped and I can see that if every decision you make changes the world then if we kill someone in town and they just pop back or "respawn " then there really was no consequence to that action. I would like to see just a "subtle" repopulation as Fluffy D said. Mostly just combatants for us to hack to pieces out in the woods. I think being able to go to another instance is ok but if you have to do that because your tired of running around and not finding things to do then that might get " tedious " of course I'm just talking to talk since I really don't know how things will work out in the end. So far it looks very cool and excited to see how they implement their ideas.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.