Map random

Godefroy

Hi,

I would like to play again to Exanima but I know very well every level. It's boring to restart. Do we know if the devs will doing a part of the game random? For exemple like Diablo.

Thanks,
God

El Maco

Insider
I doubt we will ever see randomly generated maps in Exanima (or even Sui Generis). See here, for example. I know I have seen a more definitive answer from Madoc where he states that he doesn't particularly like procedurally generated maps, and then there's the technical challenges to overcome on top of that.

Personally I think it would be nice to randomize the dungeon layout, permadeath and linear gameplay is a combination that doesn't mix very well. (Except in Sui Generis where the world is supposedly big and I think it was mentioned that you spawn in different location after each death. This should solve the problem of repetition.)

Last edited:

Seedy

Randomizing Enemy locations and numbers would add a bit of freshness. Knowing what enemies are behind each door and what they're armed with does kill the suspense a bit.
Beyond the portal things seem fine to me, the enemies are able to roam the hallways enough that you can't predict where they are.
It's really the first three "character building" levels, I'd like to see even a few preset enemy layouts that are randomly selected when you start the game. Given the loot locations can be randomized this should be achievable.
I really enjoy the early game, adding a few surprises in those levels would be great.

Syllabear3

Hi,

I would like to play again to Exanima but I know very well every level. It's boring to restart. Do we know if the devs will doing a part of the game random? For exemple like Diablo.

Thanks,
God
Its called procedurally generated, but everyone disagree with that.

This game's environment is hand placed, even crate piles, I doubt a computer would be able to do the same sort of thing.

El Maco

Insider
This game's environment is hand placed, even crate piles, I doubt a computer would be able to do the same sort of thing.
I'm pretty sure we could -- theoretically -- have template rooms with relocatable/optional features in them (including crate piles). We could also rearrange the rooms and corridors without the result getting too illogical or artificial. However, since Madoc is clearly not supporting the idea, and the game engine probably wasn't built with procedural maps in mind, this seems highly unlikely.

I'm pretty sure we could -- theoretically -- have template rooms with relocatable/optional features in them (including crate piles). We could also rearrange the rooms and corridors without the result getting too illogical or artificial. However, since Madoc is clearly not supporting the idea, and the game engine probably wasn't built with procedural maps in mind, this seems highly unlikely.
Well, perhaps, you could get into the modding scene. Whenever that becomes a thing. I think.

Syllabear3

However, since Madoc is clearly not supporting the idea, and the game engine probably wasn't built with procedural maps in mind, this seems highly unlikely.
Really? So this will be like "Pillars of Eternity" all over?
At least i enjoy the arena time to time...

Do you have source on that?

Tony

Insider
Really? So this will be like "Pillars of Eternity" all over?
At least i enjoy the arena time to time...

From the beginning the plan was to design Exanima with handcrafted levels and not procedurally generated levels; this isn't a new decision or anything.

Read the post Maco linked above if you'd like some relevant information.

Syllabear3

From the beginning the plan was to design Exanima with handcrafted levels and not procedurally generated levels; this isn't a new decision or anything.

Read the post Maco linked above if you'd like some relevant information.
Exanima, but sui generis?

If they dont add some kind procedural generated content the game will get boring really quick. Pillars of eternity is the perfect example for it. So much potential into creating and trying new classes yet you need to repeat the same content over and over again. You completly remember where it was each thing.

I think we had this discussion before...
But if they add a tool for players to create their own content that will maintain the game alive. Like it was in warcraft 3, and dota 2 right now. People create wonderful and funny things.

Tony

Insider
Exanima, but sui generis?

If they dont add some kind procedural generated content the game will get boring really quick. Pillars of eternity is the perfect example for it. So much potential into creating and trying new classes yet you need to repeat the same content over and over again. You completly remember where it was each thing.

I think we had this discussion before...
But if they add a tool for players to create their own content that will maintain the game alive. Like it was in warcraft 3, and dota 2 right now. People create wonderful and funny things.
Sui Generis will be handcrafted as well but things will never play out the same way twice due NPCs that can participate in events and make their own decisions as opposed to having only heavily scripted events that play out the same way every time (like you see in many RPGs). The dynamic gameplay elements is what will keep SG fresh every time you play it; not even the devs will know exactly how things will unfold during a playthrough.

Some of the elements in SG likely will be randomized as well such as loot found in containers and other various items.

Syllabear3

Do you think that will be enough??
Just think of a match of cs. You get diferent people, diferent situatuions/interactions etc. But if you never change the map you will get tired of playing in the end.

Another thing would be the end game content. Many games fail in that aspect... but i think that if you can have your own character running another users generated content, that would be somehow fixed. It would be like exploring infinite worlds (or whatever).

El Maco

Insider
Madoc has posted at least 2-3 comments about procedural dungeons on the Steam forum. I know I have seen a better quote than the one I linked, but the man has written a novel over there and I got bored trying to find the better one...

Tony

Insider
Just think of a match of cs. You get diferent people, diferent situatuions/interactions etc. But if you never change the map you will get tired of playing in the end.

Another thing would be the end game content. Many games fail in that aspect... but i think that if you can have your own character running another users generated content, that would be somehow fixed. It would be like exploring infinite worlds (or whatever).
CS consists of rather tiny maps whereas the world of SG will be massive in comparison and it'll be nearly impossible to see and discover everything in a single playthrough. Not only will there be a rather large above ground area that will include villages, towns and a large city but the underworld will be quite massive as well which will basically double the size of the world. Now consider there will be hundreds of hidden secrets and bits of lore to discover combined with events playing out differently every single time you play the game so no, I don't see myself becoming bored with the game very quickly.

As far as end game content goes Madoc said some of the more difficult encounters will likely take several playthroughs just to become powerful enough to stand a chance of surviving so I don't expect to breeze through the game in one go or to see and do everything there is to do in a single playthrough. I suspect that even years after the game is released people will still be discovering new things and discussing unique events that occurred while playing which hadn't happened to anyone else.

Syllabear3

Madoc has posted at least 2-3 comments about procedural dungeons on the Steam forum. I know I have seen a better quote than the one I linked, but the man has written a novel over there and I got bored trying to find the better one...
I missed the see "here" :c

CS consists of rather tiny maps whereas the world of SG will be massive in comparison and it'll be nearly impossible to see and discover everything in a single playthrough. Not only will there be a rather large above ground area that will include villages, towns and a large city but the underworld will be quite massive as well which will basically double the size of the world. Now consider there will be hundreds of hidden secrets and bits of lore to discover combined with events playing out differently every single time you play the game so no, I don't see myself becoming bored with the game very quickly.

As far as end game content goes Madoc said some of the more difficult encounters will likely take several playthroughs just to become powerful enough to stand a chance of surviving so I don't expect to breeze through the game in one go or to see and do everything there is to do in a single playthrough. I suspect that even years after the game is released people will still be discovering new things and discussing unique events that occurred while playing which hadn't happened to anyone else.
Mhh that sounds interesting.
If it will be that massive, and probably increasing even more with updates, i have no complain then.

Tottel

Insider
Just think of a match of cs. You get diferent people, diferent situatuions/interactions etc. But if you never change the map you will get tired of playing in the end. [..]
*cough* DOTA. Your argument is invalid.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.