Pillars of Eternity

RobG

Insider
Anyone else playing it? Another game I've been waiting for years for and got to say its unbelievable how many bugs it has. Really Obsidian went on and on about how great it was being kick-started cause there is no time pressure and they can get things exactly how they wanted and the end product wouldn't be rushed. The list of serious bugs is astonishing, I don't see how that much slipped through the beta net, my save game has been totally ruined because of them.

Pilluminati

Insider
Haven't encountered any bugs so far myself... I'm getting bored of the game though. The path finding is really bad and it's annoying having to pause every 0.2 sec to micromanage your characters because they're too dumb. Combat is not too fun, way better in games like dragon age origins or divinity original sin. Story is nothing special so far. It looks beautiful though and they managed to capture the feeling. I'd say it's "decent" despite the flaws I listed.

-Tim-

Insider
Just started playing with a friend's copy, have no idea what I'm getting into. I just made an elf druid with high resolve, am I doomed? I'm liking the feel of it so far.

I saw the controversy about Firedorn Lightbringer. Never really kept up with the game though.
Seems a little nitpicky as I doubt the stuff was meant to be malicious, just funny. Shame that so many people go a little overboard while having good intentions in their heart.

BrecMadak

Insider
Never hyped about this game when first announced then and still my feelings are indifferent, honestly speaking never been a fan of BG or Icewind Dale style rpg, not that I played it for hours cause I'd knew it would not justify the fundation they got from donators. You do not have to have an eagle eye to see; just to compare with Exanima how smoothly patching process is going and how smooth their outcome as of now so, which puts PoE on the pretty contrary side solely. How could quite common bug issues may still show themselves in a retail product of a game has earned over 7 million $ is ironic as it gets.

On top of these, add that 15 lvled misleading dungeon, as my friend told me was mostly filled with repetitive encounters which instead should be having had loads of traps and puzzles which again shows an obvious lazy design sign just to hoodwink the players at first sight ?
No thank you.

Last edited:

Mr_FauxPas

Insider
I've enjoyed IceWind Dale for the ambiance (probably because I was young and impressionable) , PlaneScape Torment for storytelling, but Pillar's... haven't played it, but I doubt I'll play it. It doesn't seem innovative in any sense, another "Save the world" kind of game - with improved Infinity Engine. I'd probably play it if I had more free time, but at the moment - nope.

Pillars of Eternity is significantly different in style and substance from Sui Generis and Exanima. Comparing them is akin to comparing apples to oranges and is unlikely to do justice to either game.

As concerns bugs, anything as large and complex as a game with approximately 60 hours of primary content is going to have some glitches upon release. Given the variety of character builds, spells, and the sheer volume of dialogue paths contained in it, Pillars of Eternity actually had a relatively clean release version. Additionally, Obsidian has already put out a major patch and a number of hotfixes.

The controversy over a Kickstarter backer provided epitaph has been completely blown out of proportion. Obsidian is a business entity and as such it responded to a complaint regarding the silly and potentially offensive poem, that somehow made it past editors into the released game, by asking the backer (Firedorn) to change it. He readily consented. The changed content in no way affects the game's narrative, gameplay, or atmosphere. Things should have ended there except that certain activist gamers thought that this was too fine an opportunity to let pass and proceeded to make a big stink labeling Obsidian's action an abridgement of free speech and artistic expression. Never mind the fact that the content was generated by a third party and was totally peripheral to the game itself. Or that as the developer, Obsidian had and has every right to change the game as they see fit. The ironic footnote to the whole affair is that Firedorn has admitted that he knew that his epitaph was offensive and never expected it to get past the vetting process.

Pillars of Eternity is a game designed around tactical, party-based, combat. Frequent pausing is entirely to be expected of a game presented as a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. Micromanaging combat is part of what its core audience wanted when Obsidian decided to crowdfund the game.

As concerns the writing, I think it ranges between fair to excellent, with a few jarring exceptions (primarily backer provided content). The central narrative might fall short of Obsidian and Black Isle's best but it is engaging as are the main NPC stories/interaction.

As a niche game it is definitely not for everyone. I, for one, think it is a very good game and well worth the effort for those who have enjoyed the Infinity Engine classics.

RobG

Insider
Yeah Max I agree with a lot of what you said. I'm a long time fan of the infinity engine games, Fallout 1 and 2 along with Planescape Torment were practically all I spent my time doing at certain points in my childhood. The fact remains though that I spent a long time on my first character reading all the bits you don't have to read and exploring different dialogue options and all that stuff and was really enjoying the game. The Raedrick hold bug happened trapping my dudes inside and then the hotfix worked but made it impossible not to die trying to leave the place as the fix reset all the fog of war and enemies. Net result is my save game is ruined by a bug and I cant bring myself to repeat all that early content and play the game again.

THEN I read that the bug was known about in the beta testing (along with others) So Obsidian knew they were releasing a game with game breaking bugs in? I just don't understand why they let that happen the whole benefit of what they said they wanted from a kickstarted project was the time and flexibility to release a finished product rather than being rushed to release by publishers. So why did they rush the release? I haven't played enough if it to form a solid opinion on the game as a whole the lore seems really interesting and deep, the combat though could have been better I agree with that, but I've never really liked pause combat systems anyway I prefer turn based in games like this but turn based combat is treated like a swear word it seems these days. I don't play infinity games for the combat though, its all about the story for me.

Pilluminati

Insider
Pausing isn't the issue for me. Like I said, I enjoyed dragon age origins and have enjoyed other similar games like Neverwinter nights, etc. But in Pillars you don't pause just for strategic decisions. You do it because your characters are too dumb to walk around people (bad path finding) and the formations get all fucked up. The abilities aren't all that interesting either. I've tried to read every single line of convo and lore for the first time ever in a game, but it doesn't feel worth it so far. Maybe I just don't "get it".

RobG

Insider
Yes I agree with you there for the most part, its interesting for me at least to compare pillars and Examina, although they are obviously very different games, I would have been happy to pay the same money for Examina alone, never mind Sui Generis as well, where as pillars in the state that I played it was overpriced for what it gives. When you compare the money both projects raised on kickstarter its actually a little perplexing. I hope that Bare Mettle realise their game is worth more than what they are selling it for too. £10 for Examina is a crazy bargain!

I agree with you though the combat in dragon age was much better (great game as well) and divinity original sin too that has some really interesting elements which Pillars seems to lack.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.