The Elder Scrolls Online trailer

Cooper Holt

Insider
At the 4:59 mark the huge monster makes a noise practically identical to the noise Porky (if I remember his name correctly) makes/made. I thought that was pretty cool:

Rob

I'm with tiny lampe on this one.

It's a great-looking video. I'm sure it'd make a great film. But the trailer says absolutely nothing about the game!

If that was all real gameplay then I'd be uber-excited. But it's not. It's just a load of marketing bull, intended purely to sell a product that's actually quite different, attempting to raise the hype for something, when all the hype really isn't due given what it is.

This sort of blatant irrelevant over-advertisement reminds me of this (lol):

P.S. Cooper - yes, that guy definitely reminds me of Porky!

Empire²

Insider
@Rob I think the difference is, though, that Old Spice uses clever marketing and advertising, whereas this trailer is literally them pumping money into a big balloon with the word hype written on it. We'll all gather around it expecting it to burst open into confetti, aiding the pumping in any way we can, but will be sorely disappointed when it pops open and we all get covered in what seems to be some type of sewage.

From what I've seen from ESO in terms of gameplay, it doesn't look like something I'm going to invest time and money in. They took a golden opportunity of making an Elder Scrolls game with MMO features and went with what isn't a lot more than an Elder Scrolls-themed reskin of your average MMORPG. Their advances in combat are falling just a bit too short. Skyrim especially was praised for how you could feel the weight of the weapons you're carrying, and how loosing an arrow would feel like it had an impact on your stance. The camera swayed perfectly with the swings of your weapon, enhancing the first-person experience greatly. MMOs are notorious for having combat mechanics that just don't feel natural. You click once and your character swings with incredible ease, throwing you back into a ready stance to do it about 50 more times. In Skyrim, there was a certain degree of timing necessary to successfully complete a combo. This meant actually having to wait for a strike to end, rather than it being over before you are aware of it. This keeps people from spamming their attacks and just praying they'll hit something.

I have a feeling that ESO will be a flop. For Bethesda's sake, I hope it doesn't, but it seems to be failbound from what I can see. Which adds some risk that they will have to drop the Elder Scrolls franchise for a while, which happened before, obviously, but I wouldn't want to have to wait another, what, 5 years? I am crossing my fingers so much for a full Tamriel Elder Scrolls. Screw your MMO, I want unlimited access to your continent!

Pilluminati

Insider
Skyrims combat wasn't even that good to begin with. The best thing about that game was the world. ESO looks fairly bland, even though it's quite impressive for an MMO, not entirely sure why but I think it's a combination of the lack of detail & more cartoonish style. 1st person mode seems like an afterthought and will probably not end up being more than a gimmick. They're playing it extremely safe and trying to cater to absolutely everyone, it will end up being a mediocre game at most is my guess.

Empire²

Insider
Skyrims combat wasn't even that good to begin with. The best thing about that game was the world.
Well, what I meant is that it was very intuitive. It certainly lacked in making you feel like you're exchanging blows, but there are very few games where your attacks feel as "real" as they do in Skyrim.

The world is definitely a selling factor. Disregarding how the ESO story has already been established, everyone wants to explore Tamriel to its fullest. I have to say that the graphic style they went with kind of disappoints me, but I suppose the game would become incredibly hardware-intensive if they went with updated Skyrim graphics. As someone who has put maybe a 100 hours into Skyrim, I don't think I can bridge the gap to ESO. I feel like the Elder Scrolls branding is just used as bait, when the game in question is not really like what it's advertising itself as.

What I want is an Elder Scrolls game that feels like an Elder Scrolls game, not something that looks like Elder Scrolls, promises you Elder Scrolls but ends up being something completely different. It's pretty much abuse of the weight a franchise like the Elder Scrolls carries with it.

It is a very ambitious and promising concept to create an MMO, but you have to stay true to what made your franchise great, otherwise you're just fooling your biggest fans with pretty trailers and big words.

Fawz

Insider
The trailer looks pretty enough, just like the first one they released a few months back, but it isn't representative of the game. Neither in how it'll play or look. Then again almost all CG trailers have that problem. It's just marketing.

As far as the game goes though, it really doesn't look very promising at all. For all intents and purposes it feels like a cheap cash grab at an established IP. Thankfully it sounds like the Devs know this and in the last couple of months they've been making changes to the game and adding fan requested features (like first person view) that seem to redeem the game a bit.

I don't doubt it'll have some cool elements (like being able to become Emperor) but overall I don't see the MMO being a success with anything but a small hard core following. We don't get many new big MMOs per year on PC so I'll look to try it out if there's a beta or trial of sorts. I do hope it ends up being better than it looks. We need more good PC MMORPGs and every time a big one flunks it reduces chances of a new MMO being worked on.

Reactions: Rob

Lathspell

trailers are just like cinematics, I never look CG trailers, if Im interested I wait til the gameplay video because as fawz said it doesnt represent the game, anyway...I rather play diablo 3 than TES online, I hate what big companies are doing with great titles, making online a game that's been always single player just ruins the storyline...like this new title "nosgoth" did with legacy of kain series...pure blasphemy, last TES title didn't have a great storyline though

Avramovic

Supporter
If I had their budget I would save the world from poverty... or at the very least make a decent game :rolleyes:
The Elder Scrolls 6: Elsewyrr, where you play the role of a Coalition* invasion force soldier, landing by ship in part of desert occupied by the damn High Elves and working your bloody way, by either brute force or subterfuge, to rid the land of elven scourge once and for all and reinstate Talos to his rightful place as 9th divine. No dragon crap, no "Chosen One !!1" BS, you might possibly get the rank of Colonel, tops.

*free nations in Tamriel, and perhaps a few Aldmeri elopers

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.