Traps in dungeons??

Omenov

Insider
Hey I've looked around and havnt seen anything official on traps in the underworld. With the physics of this game I could see the swinging axes and pits with spikes or even a rolling Indiana jones type boulder trap. I personally would love to see traps used a lot in the underworld in areas that were more man made Maybe not in natural caverns but I think the more diverse kind of traps the better. Spring boards that you might have to use magic to spring then you could pass or lure an enemy to a pit. Only thing I didn't see yet is a jumping mexhanic and I'm not sure we need one but traps are a must IMHO
Any ideas? Sorry if this has been discussed I searched and found some vague references to traps.
Edit: the link in the next post was great thanks maybe I should learn to search better 8)

Last edited:

Fawz

Insider
Hey I've looked around and havnt seen anything official on traps in the underworld. With the physics of this game I could see the swinging axes and pits with spikes or even a rolling Indiana jones type boulder trap. I personally would love to see traps used a lot in the underworld in areas that were more man made Maybe not in natural caverns but I think the more diverse kind of traps the better. Spring boards that you might have to use magic to spring then you could pass or lure an enemy to a pit. Only thing I didn't see yet is a jumping mexhanic and I'm not sure we need one but traps are a must IMHO
Any ideas? Sorry if this has been discussed I set bed and found some vague references to traps.
Traps would definitely be a great addition to the underworld. As you've said it sounds like it would go really well with the physics system where something simple like a pendulum or pressure plate could be exciting to overcome. I can't recall a confirmation or denial from the Devs regarding traps, but I think it's a natural expansion of the world and game. There was a discussion thread about Traps before, but it hasn't seen activity in a while.

As for jumping I don't think it'll be added to the control scheme, though maybe you'll be able to vault over small obstacles like fences. Adding a jump button would probably be more work than it's worth but who knows maybe the Devs have an easy way to implement it. I don't think the game needs to have platforming elements though. You can take a look at this thread to see people's opinion on the matter

Omenov

Insider
Thanks for your quick reply and the links. I would not want to see jumping during combat at all it would really cheapin the experience but I could see a quick sprint followed by a leap to clear a open pit. Maybe a fall down landing like when he tripped over the chair in one of the videos. Moving beyond traps adds another element of suspense to me. If you leap over a pit ... Collect yourself then find around the corner is a horde of skeletons you might think ill fight and run if it gets out of hand but with that pit looming in the bAck of your mind you might rethink your approach.

Marc

Insider
I certainly like the idea of traps, it would add another whole element of danger particularly to the underworld. The ones I'd be most interested in seeing are projectile based traps, such as darts or arrows because theoretically the physics engine should allow you to block incoming projectiles. When looking at how some other games have handled these sort of traps, such as skyrim, you could get pelted by a ton of tiny poison darts that can magically penetrate your shield, armor etc :eek: Other rpgs i've played have been similar. But the thought of being able to block certain traps if your reflexes are up to scratch once they've been triggered instead of just dodging/disarming excites me :D maybe you could even wade through such traps entirely and deflect them with your armor if it was heavy duty enough.

Tessaya

Insider
I certainly like the idea of traps, it would add another whole element of danger particularly to the underworld. The ones I'd be most interested in seeing are projectile based traps, such as darts or arrows because theoretically the physics engine should allow you to block incoming projectiles. When looking at how some other games have handled these sort of traps, such as skyrim, you could get pelted by a ton of tiny poison darts that can magically penetrate your shield, armor etc :eek: Other rpgs i've played have been similar. But the thought of being able to block certain traps if your reflexes are up to scratch once they've been triggered instead of just dodging/disarming excites me :D maybe you could even wade through such traps entirely and deflect them with your armor if it was heavy duty enough.
Totally agree, just like in Dark Souls where you could observe and see where the projectiles would spawn after you'd trigger that pressure plate; then it's up to you to walk that unkown corridor backward, try to jump over the plate or do anything else.

Marc

Insider
Totally agree, just like in Dark Souls where you could observe and see where the projectiles would spawn after you'd trigger that pressure plate; then it's up to you to walk that unkown corridor backward, try to jump over the plate or do anything else.
Great game. The Souls game's were the games I had in mind when I was writing that. Sui Generis' physics model would only add to that sort of experience:)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.