It's March 1st and we haven't had a real updates in months...

Treason

Insider
I chose to post this in the general forums rather than the private one because I think we all deserve a bit more transparency. What have you guys been up to? What have you been working on? What progress has been made? The kickstarter ended Nov. 29, the last kickstarter update was on Dec. 11.

Please talk to us, we're your fans and financial backers.

Edit- Also your community would be more active if you gave us more things to chew on, as it stands things are mighty quiet around here.

Foerbus

they just moved in to theyr new place, so i dont blame them for taking some time to make them self ready to work hard on this game
I love when someone is so fanboy like you.

Well. Even if they are moving to their new place, it's easy to post one news on the main site or Facebook page. As we know they are not doing even such easy thing. Right now game authors are drinking and making a party spending OUR money and they are looking at us with funny face.

Parco

im also drinking and partying spending my money xD well anyway, they are making a whole new engine/game from scratch. this will take alot of time. posting updates on every small thing would be meaningless. if you wanna know what they are working on visit the grand dev list. i also following the upcomming game Overgrowth, they dont give much updates either before theyr acctually done with what they were working on. i guess sui generis will be the same when theyre starting to get some progress and released the first alpha

Cooper Holt

Insider
I don't care what the update is about, whether it's as huge as a new area, or as small as a new set of boots.
I need something to chew on.
Though, clearly, I have gone this long without it... so I guess that's not entirely true. :p
I just want more updates.

Komuflage

Insider
It's not a lack of updates, it's just they don't post them in a specific thread.
Also, unfortunately for some a lot of the "updates" are in the insider forum.

Also they have a trend of not wanting to talk about things they've not come a long way with yet, so we kinda have to push them for some info.

I fell this have been talked about a few times before :confused:

Caelorn

Supporter
I agree. A new proper update would be appreciated. It doesn't even have to inculde any in-game info if they have been too busy moving or something like that, but tell us how is the moving going? or even better WHEN are we getting some in-games info? :D

Komuflage

Insider
I think it's unfair to call somebody a fanboy just because they reply in a sensible fashion, the devs aren't our toys to which we squeak for information when we want.

Please be patient.
It's called ze internetz, were everyone with opinions based on logic and/or fact are f**z

Wonderboy2402

Supporter
They really do need to keep their funders updated, ideally once a month. Another kickstarter I contributed to does one every Wednesday and they made approximately the same fundraising total.

It would take 15 minutes to writeup a paragraph saying how the move went, here is a new screenshot, here is some concept art lying around.

And if there are updates happening in the insider forum (I don't have access so I have no idea), i think you need to still share it with the rest of your supporters. Even if it is staggered releases of the same info but maybe a week after it went up on the insider section.

Komuflage

Insider
They really do need to keep their funders updated, ideally once a month. Another kickstarter I contributed to does one every Wednesday and they made approximately the same fundraising total.

It would take 15 minutes to writeup a paragraph saying how the move went, here is a new screenshot, here is some concept art lying around.

And if there are updates happening in the insider forum (I don't have access so I have no idea), i think you need to still share it with the rest of your supporters. Even if it is staggered releases of the same info but maybe a week after it went up on the insider section.
It's not really like there is a insider news thread, rather, the news/info we get about sg are in the normal (mostly supporter created) threads. Were BM reply on a subject with info about how it will work in-game.
unfortunate for some, a lot of these threads are in the insider forum.

Bottom line is that as of right now, there is no real "News thread" rather news are posted here and there, which require you to follow a lot of thread if you want news.

As an example, here's some info about the combat

"During the early months of development we did little else but test and refine the combat. When we started we had a lot of ideas about how to do the combat but when it came to testing we realised they were impractical or just not fun. Designing an action close quarters combat system that is simple yet skillful, fun and works well in terms of controls, the view etc. is not particularly easy or intuitive.

As it is we plan to introduce some additional strikes and combat manoeuvres but already the combat has much more depth to it than you might think because of the completely physics driven nature of it. Holding a button just swings your weapon, turning that into an effective blow is another matter and the other controls come into play. You have to time attacks against your opponents', you step and turn to connect your blow and give it force, you need to dodge and parry in specific directions etc.

Even just stepping and turning is something you need to get a feel for, if you think pressing A in combat just moves you left you're in for a surprise. Every part of your character has momentum and moving and turning relies on the feet taking steps. It has nothing to do with the mechanical systems you typically see in games and a far cry from left click = do damage.

Becoming more proficient in combat in SG is a bit like learning to drive a car, you're not really aware of how or why your driving improves, you just get better. The basics are simple and intuitive but there are many subtleties.

The end result is a lot of fun, it takes practice but it's addictive rather than frustrating. We believe the main reason why it's fun and compelling is because the physics just kind of make sense, you see and even feel what's going on. In games there's usually either nothing involved or outcomes don't really correspond to what you're seeing.

I don't see how something like what is proposed above could work with either the view (consider that your opponents can be anywhere relative to you) nor animations etc. It also sounds overcomplicated, our intention is to provide a control system that is highly intuitive and accessible to anyone but at the same time introduces a strong skill element, a fiddly control system goes against the "easy to learn, difficult to master" principle. Either way I don't see that anyone can really attempt to design a combat system for SG without first trying the game, it will be very different from anything you've ever played."

It's a lot of good info, but it's posted in the "Die by the Sword" thread.

I Recommend everyone to Follow all the developers and check the Grand list of dev quotes.

AW8

Supporter
I realize that with a team of 5 people we're not going to get weekly updates propped with information.
But it's been almost 3 months. Is one update every quarter of a year too much to ask? :)

I love reading forum posts from developers, don't get me wrong. It gives us a more direct, informal contact with the developers than an announcement from, say, Gaben will ever be (I love Gaben, don't get me wrong).

I just wish there were regular updates. Say one every month, doesn't have to be long. Just some insight to what you've been working on, how progress are, something. I want to know you guys are alive, and a monthly update post is easier to follow than hunting the forums for developer posts to piece together the bigger picture.

BigT2themax

Insider
Yeah, the lack of updates and such has made the forum die a little.

Last I heard from Madoc, the team had basically finished getting over to their new studio and had only just gotten a temporary internet connection to make a post quickly. They're busy setting things up right now, I think, putting together Ikea furniture and getting their offices ready and stuff.

I get that it'll probably take at least a few more weeks to get everything up and running and make the place look nice and turn it into a good working environment, but yeah, I'm pretty sure most folks would like an update so we at least know they're still alive.

In any case, eventually we'll get a few bits of news about features and such and how the game is coming along and we'll have stuff to talk about. Then I can actually make a post and contribute to conversations by providing delicious walls of texts for everyone to enjoy, rather than just check the website every few days, only to find that nothing's really going on. Not even any discussion or anything.

I think the forum would benefit from a thread for announcing news and such. Maybe in the insider forum we could get the "new" news and have some places for discussion of smaller features and get news on them and the videos and such, and the announcements forum could have the big announcements for everyone else a few days later, like big new features, or just general news about Sui Generis.

Anyways, I'm sure we're going to get an update with some pictures of the new studio and that within the next few weeks. There's no need to get angry or anything just yet. Let's be civilized here. We'll just grab some of the cutlery forks, light a few matches and just keep grumbling a little bit. Maybe if we don't get any news for another month, we can go for the whole pitchforks, flaming torches and screaming. :p

Madoc

Project Lead
Hello,

We're just finishing up an update now, it's quite a large one because of how long it's been and hence it's also taking us quite long to prepare it. Some backer rewards include videos and we're just doing the final editing and music etc.

Since the Kickstarter ended we've been doing hundreds of different things, it's been a dramatic change to our lives and the way we work. Besides us all relocating and quitting jobs etc. there's been a big change in the direction our work is taking. Up until now we were deisgning the game and prototyping things, now we actually have to make a complete game and a complete game world and everything that didn't seem particularly important is now essential and urgent. Most of this isn't very interesting to show or talk about, it's stuff like how to store information about every possible object in the game and what this information should be. Some of it is more interesting, like how AI and NPC interaction will work but it's too early for us to release any information on these things, they will have to evolve as we include more features.

At this stage it's difficult to do frequent updates, once more of the foundations are in place we can dedicate more time to adding game features and making content at which point frequent updates will become much easier.

Cooper Holt

Insider
Hello,

We're just finishing up an update now, it's quite a large one because of how long it's been and hence it's also taking us quite long to prepare it. Some backer rewards include videos and we're just doing the final editing and music etc.

Since the Kickstarter ended we've been doing hundreds of different things, it's been a dramatic change to our lives and the way we work. Besides us all relocating and quitting jobs etc. there's been a big change in the direction our work is taking. Up until now we were deisgning the game and prototyping things, now we actually have to make a complete game and a complete game world and everything that didn't seem particularly important is now essential and urgent. Most of this isn't very interesting to show or talk about, it's stuff like how to store information about every possible object in the game and what this information should be. Some of it is more interesting, like how AI and NPC interaction will work but it's too early for us to release any information on these things, they will have to evolve as we include more features.

At this stage it's difficult to do frequent updates, once more of the foundations are in place we can dedicate more time to adding game features and making content at which point frequent updates will become much easier.
Yay! More updates!
I hope to see it soon.
:D

We definitely understand this, so thanks for taking the time to tell us what you're up to. For my part, I'm mostly just interested in a little more communication. It doesn't need to be particularly flashy or glamorous, just something to keep us in touch with the development process of the game we all support and love. Hint at what's coming up, give us something to discuss, but don't give us false hope. I can imagine it would be tricky to balance. :) That's all for me. Keep up the good work!

Parco

Then I can actually make a post and contribute to conversations by providing delicious walls of texts for everyone to enjoy
NO, PLEASE NO MORE!!! na jking :p will be looking forward to read everything you got on your mind, its not like i got much else to do with my life for the moment :p

I love when someone is so fanboy like you.

Well. Even if they are moving to their new place, it's easy to post one news on the main site or Facebook page. As we know they are not doing even such easy thing. Right now game authors are drinking and making a party spending OUR money and they are looking at us with funny face.
I leave you people for hardly a month and you are already yelling at each other. Tsk tsk.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.