3 little suggestions that'd improve the game quite a bit

Elaxter

Insider
Clunky? no way! I perform LtR swings like nobody's business. I'm consistent. Just because you have problems doesn't mean we have problems. Practice more, please. Plus the guy is holding his cursor too far out. He has to move more to achieve the swing.

Nahkuri

And just because you don't have any problems with it after significantly more hours in it than I could've put in it this far, doesn't mean it's not a clunky system. It works, sort of, but it's not as intuitive as it could be, and makes the combat less enjoyable to me than it could be. I maintain that performing an alternate basic swing shouldn't take anyone more than a few minutes to reliably pull off in combat successfully.

I've yet to see any convincing argument why the 10 o'clock system is a desirable system, as opposed to a attack direction divider that's straight in front of your character.

EDIT: Another thing that'd make me happy is a mappable button for a LTR swing, which I'd put on the right mouse button.

Last edited:

Murf

I don't see a ten o clock system, the cursor has to be put to the left of your character. if the cursor is close in front of you then to initiate a LtR is roughly 5 degrees left of center 10 at the very most. not 10 o'clock.(60 degrees left of center). If you are having to put the cursor 60 degrees left of center then your mouse is too far away from your character. Not saying it isn't tricky, but if you can keep the mouse closer in front of yo (w/o spinning around, I try to keep it between opp and I when we are circling each other) you will notice the actions are more fluid and you can be more precise with your attacks. Hope that helps some..

Nahkuri

I know, I just call it the 10 o'clock system because the invisible line you have to cross with your cursor is about 60 degrees to your left. Pointing roughly at 10 o'clock. So naturally, the movement you have to do is a lot smaller when you keep the cursor close to you. When you keep it further away, as I tend to do, it's closer to "10 o'clock." Last time I played I started bringing the cursor close for the LTR swing, and it did make it a bit easier.

Murf

How quick you click and move back to the right will also affect if a LtR is done or not. Have to make sure ya click before your character turns, then swipe back right. They have worked a long long time on this system, if it is not set to do a LtR immediately left of center and you have to move a few more degrees, I am sure there is a valid reason.

Nahkuri

Could be, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what it might be. Maybe the bit between "12 and 10 o'clock" is reserved for a thrust attack and that's why the LTR swing trigger is so far to your left. That doesn't seem ideal, though.

the_grim

I'm siding with Nahkuri on this, I don't see any valid reason to have an asymmetrical swing area that favors RtL attacks and makes LtR attacks essentially more difficult (even if skilled players can perform a LtR swing flawlessly and with precision, it still requires additional effort). Why this system is in place currently is probably because the devs want RtL as a sort of "default" attack into which you don't need any modifiers - and, granted, it's more natural for a right-handed person to perform an attack swing from the right side.

I wouldn't think a 50/50 division right across the center of where your character is facing would make the combat more random; it would only mean that if you want to perform a RtL swing you move your cursor slightly to the right before clicking, and for LtR you move your cursor left an equal amount. Nothing difficult or ambiguous about that, you can still easily do RtL attacks as much as you like.

In my opinion the best solution would be to simply map LtR to a different button than RtL. Left and right mouse buttons would be perfect for this. Since cursor movement is primarily used to rotate your character, it's less than ideal to use that as an attack mechanic as well.

Elaxter

Insider
Too many buttons. It's simple as is. I have no problems initiating a LtR swing at all. It takes practice and precision.

Nahkuri

If you managed to grasp the current, touch awkward system, I'm sure you would find yourself not overwhelmed by the complexity of two buttons for attacking.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Madoc said multiple times that RMB is supposed to be for thaumaturgy. I know this sounds a bit empty at the moment, but the devs already have plans for the controls which are hard to judge currently because there are still key features missing from the game.

Also, I´d like to see an increase of the alt-swing-sensibility. It is possible now, but always slightly awkward and often enough you´ll end up turning your character left and starting a regular swing when you actually wanted him to stay stationary and do an alt swing. I´m quite accustomed to the controls and not one of the complainers, but this really could use a sensible adjustment in my opinion.

Nahkuri

And that's where the magic world of PC gaming and freely mapped keys step in! A button for RTL, a button for LTR and a button for thaumaturgy. I'd have the mouse buttons for weapon swings, and F for thaumaturgy.

the_grim

Another possibility would be to use a modifier key (eg. alt or ctrl) in combination with your regular attack key (LMB) to initiate an alternate attack. Even that would be better than a movement-sensitive system as it is right now.

This game is not about swinging your sword by moving the mouse, like Die By The Sword was; in Exanima, there are three (or four, including thrust) different attacks you can use. Overhead strike is already initiated by a different key combination (double-clicking), why couldn't LtR swing use the same system?

Reactions: Guy

nrage

Supporter
I am going to cast my vote in with the alternate button crowd. As Don Kanaille mentions, sometimes the required movement rotates the player in a less than optimal way and when I see the opening I want an instant attack, not one delayed by even the short time it takes to move my mouse.

Eluem

Hey, so what about this? There's a 20-35 degree angle in the front for thrusts or overheads, whichever... then outside of that to the left or right is the corresponding swing. Double click is overhead or thrust, whichever isn't in the forward arc.

Here's a diagram... I'm lazy so i copied and edited the other one posted here by Nahkuri.

Exanima Controls.png

Pengman19

I like how you have to move your cursor more to the left to perform a LTR swing. I think it simulates the natural motion, and more time it takes, to bring your sword across your body and then swing LTR. And considering I'm a newbie to this game as well, and the fact I picked up on how to do it within the first hour, I think it works just fine.

Anyone who struggles, I'd advise more practice. I'd define myself as a console gamer. This is the first PC game I've played in years. If I can get it down this easy, it's not hard. Just my 2 cents.

Nahkuri

That just sounds like misguided realism to me. Like using a mouse cursor to interact with the buttons and switches of a cockpit in a flight simulator.

Perfecting the timing, spacing and momentum is what should take practice, not performing the swing itself.

Murf

Part of the LtR is to perfect your timing, if you are moving your cursor to the left to start the LtR and are too slow in clicking the button and then swinging back immediately to the right, you do no perform the LtR.

Don Kanaille

Insider
I´m not saying the "activation area" for the LtR needs to be just as large as for the RtL, but it could be a bit bigger than it is now - to make it a bit more comfortable and to minimize he danger of accidently rotating your character.

Nahkuri

Part of the LtR is to perfect your timing
Yes, in learning how to do the damn thing. Otherwise you rotate away from your enemy, or fail at doing the swing. This requires more practice than doing the swing should. I'm starting to feel like a faulty record player.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.