ASOIAF / Game of Thrones Discussions (Spoilers)

Didn’t see anywhere to discuss ASOIAF/GOT so I decided I’d make one.

This isn’t exclusive to the book or tv series, just as general place to discuss and/or throw out tinfoil theories.
I’d suggest that spoilers be used at least until Season 5 is wrapped up.

Myself, I watched the first season after a friend gave me the book. Felt like I could get into it much faster if I watched a few episodes rather than delving into the book. WOW. I had no clue what I was getting into but I flew through the books and then watched season two. Finished what had been released by the time season three started. I’ve probably read the series 5 times now (3 times were audio books ‘cause Roy Dotrice’s voice is the best).

Personal request to GRRM, release the damn Aeron Greyjoy chapter.
Personal request to D&D, don’t fuck up the Kingsmoot.

In regards to the books: awesome.

In regards to the series: also awesome...until they caught up.

I, too, had friends tell me I should watch the show. So obviously I found out it was based on the books so I borrowed them from a friend and read them all first lol.

I recommend either reading the books when they're all out or watch the show when it's done and then read the books. Having to follow both the books and the show confuses me now that they're diverting so much from the books I can't recall half of what's happened in book 5.

EDIT: come to think of it. Watching the first season is actually a great way to start since it lays out the world, characters (the names especially) and locations out wonderfully. I had a bit of a hard time reading the first book regarding all the houses, names, location names and all that. It's a bit overwhelming (but very amazing too)

Last edited:
I figured you'd be the first to stop by.
Yeah, the show is already immensely confusing until they beat you over the head with "this character said ALL THIS STUFF like two seasons ago" or "Loras is gay, look at all this sex with Loras"
Having read the series a few times, it's pretty clear in my head but the show still throws me for a loop sometimes.

This season started out neat and I've been getting more annoyed as it progresses.
Hopefully they'll at least get these last few episodes right (or not y'know, Hardhome's new plot and all).
My biggest issue is with Dorne and it's lack of everything. I feel like they kinda went through all the work of Dorne and we don't see anything remotely interesting. That fight with the sand snakes? Oh man, that was bad.

Oh yeah, Dorne is..almost pandering to fans. Let's throw Bronn and Jaime together because reasons. Save Myrcella HOW exactly? Doesn't make sense and it isn't great writing. The writers of the show just love to pair the actors up with each other y'know? Sansa and Ramsay, Tyrion and Vary's (although I liked their pairing).

Another thing I'm disliking is Brienne. She seems absolutely MENTAL. Didn't she kill like 5 guards of Baelish for no fucking reason other than to show viewers she's badass? that scene didn't make SENSE.

On the plus side of things. Fuck yeah, the night's watch is cool. Always lifts my spirits when they cut to those portions. Which is ironic seeing how bitter cold those actors are lol.

Have you seen of the rumors of what S5E10 is named? ;)
Yeah, I'm mostly interested in Cersei and Night's Watch at the moment which was a bit surprising.

My initial hopes for this season laid with Arya and Dorne, but both of those stories are boring as hell right now (in the show at least). Didn't think they'd advance through the Night's Watch stuff so quickly.

I figured Cersei would get hers this season but it was quite well done imo. Really got to hand it to the High Septum, he is killing it this season. Lancel, meh. Loras, I wish they portrayed his book character rather than make him just a gay, sex addict. A gay, sex addict character is completely fine but Loras was such an awesome book character. It's a shame they've streamlined his plot the way they did.

Have you seen of the rumors of what S5E10 is named? ;)
Yeah, I'm mostly interested in Cersei and Night's Watch at the moment which was a bit surprising.

My initial hopes for this season laid with Arya and Dorne, but both of those stories are boring as hell right now (in the show at least). Didn't think they'd advance through the Night's Watch stuff so quickly.

I figured Cersei would get hers this season but it was quite well done imo. Really got to hand it to the High Septum, he is killing it this season. Lancel, meh. Loras, I wish they portrayed his book character rather than make him just a gay, sex addict. A gay, sex addict character is completely fine but Loras was such an awesome book character. It's a shame they've streamlined his plot the way they did.
I haven't. Nor do I wish spoilers lol :p

In the end. I can speculate all I want but who knows what direction they're gonna take.

Aaaaand yeeaahh, #Lorasdeservesbetter

Pilluminati

Insider
Lol'd when I saw this, what a master troll. I don't get why people hate him, he simply wants to lead a peaceful life with those he holds near and dear :D

Is he as exaggerated in the books too?

Didn't Loras take a vow of celibacy in the books after Renly's death? I'm sure he did.

I'm excited for next season though, casting call has gone out and they are looking for a 'pirate'.
I can only hope this means the Greyjoys are coming back but I'll not hold my breath.

They are certainly my favorite house from their culture and Drowned God down to their lore and the Seastone Chair. I've been sorta hoping against hope that there is a third important race on the way, one from under the ocean. But I'm not sure how well it fits, we know Others and Dragons are obviously in opposition. How could some folks that represent the bottom of the ocean fall in to place, could they ally with Fire (dragons) or with Ice (Others)? Or they could be against both Fire and Ice.

When the World of Ice and Fire released, this only braced my theory. There was some cryptic talk about the Seastone Chair and it's relation to the stone found in Asshai. As well as talk about Squishers which may have been an ancestor to the Iron Islanders.

@Pilluminati
Iwan Rheon was a good choice for Ramsay. Rheon is a tad smaller than I had envisioned but the eyes are there. Just wish he had those iconic lips that looked like 'two worms fucking'.

In regards to Ramsay. They've gone a tad over the top in some scenes but they're doing a great job with him for sure.

And YES I want the Greyjoys. Kingsmoot and all that jazz. I also own the world of ice and fire. Excellent toilet lecture lol. haven't read it all. Probably 1/4 of the way through. I randomly flip through pages but I have read up on the greyjoys.

BTW, who do you think will sit the Iron Throne and who do you want to see sit the iron throne?

Stannis Baratheon is the TRUE king of Westeros. He has the legitimate claim and I would follow him into the grave. Stannis 4 life!! (I want Stannis to win)

Is he as exaggerated in the books too?
I would say he is much wilder in the books. The rape scene with Sansa in particular is CRAZY in the books but I won't say more.

Stannis is the rightful king but Renly would have been a good king for the people. The problem with being 'for the people' is that winter really is coming and it's gonna be a significant event for ALL of Westeros. Stannis and Jon are like the only two in positions of power that seem to care though so that's why I'd have to side with Stannis. Will he sit the Iron Throne though? I couldn't say for sure, the Gods (supposedly) frown on kinslaying.

I honestly could see Dany on the throne with Aegon as her husband, especially if she sides with Dorne bringing matriarchy up to par with the patriarchy. Will she make a good Queen? If Meereen is any indicator, than no. But this story was never about happy endings ;p

Pilluminati

Insider
Stannis seems like the kind of man who would rule harshly and put the whole kingdom under sharia law lol. I'd definitely take him over the spoilt child a.k.a. khaleesi though.

I would say he is much wilder in the books. The rape scene with Sansa in particular is CRAZY in the books but I won't say more.

Stannis is the rightful king but Renly would have been a good king for the people. The problem with being 'for the people' is that winter really is coming and it's gonna be a significant event for ALL of Westeros. Stannis and Jon are like the only two in positions of power that seem to care though so that's why I'd have to side with Stannis. Will he sit the Iron Throne though? I couldn't say for sure, the Gods (supposedly) frown on kinslaying.

I honestly could see Dany on the throne with Aegon as her husband, especially if she sides with Dorne bringing matriarchy up to par with the patriarchy. Will she make a good Queen? If Meereen is any indicator, than no. But this story was never about happy endings ;p
So yeah there's something I shut away from my mind? I can't for the life of me remember Sansa getting raped in the books? Sansa in book 5 is foggy for me. Wasn't she almost raped but not really? I remember the Singer or lute player in the Eyrie nearly having his way with her but that's it.

Speaking of rape. Another thing that annoys me in the show is just too much screen time spent/wasted on random sex scenes because HBO. But ehh...

Scarecrow

Insider
I dont like Stannis and his obsession with the Lord of Fire and whatnot. That stuff just really rubs me the wrong way. Don't want to see him on the throne.

I'd like to see Daenerys Targaryen on the throne, I think she could make a good ruler (Despite how things in Meereen are going). She seems to be genuinly kind, but can also be ruthless when needed or someone does wrong to her.

Renly would have been a good king for the people, I agree to that. Wanted Eddard Stark to side with him so badly in season one, but alas.

Daenerys for preisdent.

So yeah there's something I shut away from my mind? I can't for the life of me remember Sansa getting raped in the books? Sansa in book 5 is foggy for me. Wasn't she almost raped but not really? I remember the Singer or lute player in the Eyrie nearly having his way with her but that's it.

Speaking of rape. Another thing that annoys me in the show is just too much screen time spent/wasted on random sex scenes because HBO. But ehh...
I'll have to be a bit spoilery to answer this correctly, but I supposed it doesn't matter.
In the books, Sansa is happily chilling at the Eyrie during that rape scene. In actuality, Ramsay would be 'raping' Jeyne Poole who was the kennel master's Steward's daughter from book 1. My mistake on the kennel master part.

Jeyne Poole lived in Winterfell and knows it's ins and outs as well as the WFell people. She also shares a coloring with Arya Stark (who is presumably MIA to everyone in Westeros) so they dress her up and call her a Stark to secretly take Winterfell by marriage. Who would contest that marriage against Boltons? No one because everyone just wants to hope Arya hasn't kicked the bucket.

Only Theon/Reek knows who she is, so we get a lot of really good internal monologue about this event from Theon's perspective. Really it's a fantastic sequence and way more fucked up than what the show would have you believe.

Edit: I forgot to mention, they most likely changed this whole story around because that is admittedly a confusing story arc. I love the book version but can understand why the show portrayed it as they did. On top of all that, Ramsay had sent Jon a letter on the Wall detailing the marriage. Jon gets all bent cause he think's she's the real Arya and a whole slew of related events are spurred by that.

Last edited:
I dont like Stannis and his obsession with the Lord of Fire and whatnot. That stuff just really rubs me the wrong way. Don't want to see him on the throne.

I'd like to see Daenerys Targaryen on the throne, I think she could make a good ruler (Despite how things in Meereen are going). She seems to be genuinly kind, but can also be ruthless when needed or someone does wrong to her.

Renly would have been a good king for the people, I agree to that. Wanted Eddard Stark to side with him so badly in season one, but alas.

Daenerys for preisdent.
Sure you dislike the lord of fire right now but just you wait..Winter IS coming.

I'll have to be a bit spoilery to answer this correctly, but I supposed it doesn't matter.
In the books, Sansa is happily chilling at the Eyrie during that rape scene. In actuality, Ramsay would be 'raping' Jeyne Poole who was the kennel master's daughter from book 1.

Jeyne Poole lived in Winterfell and knows it's ins and outs as well as the WFell people. She also shares a coloring with Arya Stark (who is presumably dead to everyone in Westeros) so they dress her up and call her a Stark to secretly take Winterfell by marriage. Only Theon/Reek knows who she is, so we get a lot of really good internal monologue about this event from Theon's perspective. Really it's a fantastic sequence and way more fucked up than what the show would have you believe.
Oooh like that, sure. I thought you meant Sansa in the books. But yes, poor Jeyne.

In general I like this so much better in the books. Where they continue to hide Sansa's identity and the Boltons just make up a new Arya as Jeyne. Those bastards lol

ALSO, have you perhaps played the telltale game? It's pretty neat so far.

Pilluminati

Insider

Daenerys for preisdent.
Hell no! She's way too easy to persuade and only makes decisions based on her emotions. I agree she'd probably be a kind ruler but very gullible and it's hard to take her seriously.

Oooh like that, sure. I thought you meant Sansa in the books. But yes, poor Jeyne.

In general I like this so much better in the books. Where they continue to hide Sansa's identity and the Boltons just make up a new Arya as Jeyne. Those bastards lol

ALSO, have you perhaps played the telltale game? It's pretty neat so far.
The Boltons are so awesome and I can't wait for them to get served.
I tried the first one and it's not for me. I'm interested in it only for the story aspects but can't get past the 'game' of it. TWD game was the same way except I got real tired of that story only 1 hour in.
I've watched and read the synopsis for the GOT Telltale game, it's neat but I've not formed a rounded opinion lol

Hell no! She's way too easy to persuade and only makes decisions based on her emotions. I agree she'd probably be a kind ruler but very gullible and it's hard to take her seriously.
Dany could be so great if only she listened to her counsel. What's the point of a counsel if you actively do what they told you was a bad idea? Many of her ideas have been great, she's certainly smart but I feel like Meereen was so different from her vision of ruling that the only course of action now should be to pack it up and leave. She may be more suited for ruling Westeros, hopefully we'll find out one way or another.

Those dragons though? I wish Drogon wouldn't hog all the screen time ;p

Scarecrow

Insider
I see where you're coming from. And I do agree, she is easily persuaded and acts too much on emotion.

However, Daenerys is still very inexperienced. She has still much to learn. Which is bad, but she's learning. I do believe she would become a great ruler with some time. And her emotions are in many ways her best quality as well. She cares so much about the people, about others.

Daenerys is not perfect, but she's the best candidate in my opinion.

Speaking of Dany's counsel...The Grey Worm and that grill's love storyline..What's up with that? Also Barristan Selmy got killed off? What's up with that?

AND NO STRONG BELWAS??!!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.