Functional Cloaks

Heh, sadly I've only ever played Skyrim out of TES series but a friend told me about the chameleon suit in Oblivion & how much it broke the game. Let us not insult Madoc by asking for such a thing in SG. If invisibility is in the game & I'm not assuming it will be, it will be thaumaturgy & very limited due to the sheer difficulty of casting it effectively.

I like the idea of weather affecting the player definitely but I imagine it will be tricky to create that mechanic in a way that isn't frustrating. How will I be able to prepare for any weather condition? I dont think its realistic if i can take my full plate off & just stick it in my inventory so that I can wear less if its too hot or fur if its too cold. Can anyone go into detail about how this could be realistic without causing frustration? I suppose if the negative effects were quite limited that is one way.

oncrack1

Insider
Wouldn't an invisibility cloak/ring be abit OP?...... Because of the pathetic AI I was never seen again in the game and got bored very fast. It was stupid that the devs even put the ability for the players to become completely invisible!
Simplez, you answered your own question!
Make good AI + balance weapons and equipment!

Perhaps the ring does +5 stealth (or w/e) and just comes with an effect akin to invisibility.

or we could just have the chance to enchant one with whatever stats we want and just get charged a ton of in-game currency for it. I think this game may be more Torchlight than Elder Scrolls even with the Kickstarter's tag line.

oncrack1

Insider
No stats or points in SG! One day I'll get sick of pointing that out to new members lol
There literally has to be stats tho right for the game to function?
I thought it was like this....

Two hand Axe = hurts more + slower
short sword = hurts less + faster

armour = more defensive + slower
robes = less defensive + faster

rather than numeric representation, ergo there are stats just you wont see them!?

Is there no leveling up or character stats or anything then?

I don't like this molyneux esq. stuff I dont want another Fable

No stats or points in SG! One day I'll get sick of pointing that out to new members lol
I'm fairly sure there have to be stats of some kind. I'm assuming you (or the devs if they said this) mean, the stats will be behind the scenes (like oncrack1 said). Regular (albeit more subtle and realistic) stats with a naturalistic interface to create a less number-based system.

Also, could you point me in the direction of where they said this (or a discussion of it)? I'd appreciate it, if you have the time.

No numbers what so ever is my understanding. No levels or anything. There will of course have to be numbers behind the scenes. My apologies if that is what was meant. I'm pretty sure its all in the grand list of dev quotes but if not I can't remember where I read it exactly sorry.

Komuflage

Insider
Heh, sadly I've only ever played Skyrim out of TES series but a friend told me about the chameleon suit in Oblivion & how much it broke the game. Let us not insult Madoc by asking for such a thing in SG. If invisibility is in the game & I'm not assuming it will be, it will be thaumaturgy & very limited due to the sheer difficulty of casting it effectively.

I like the idea of weather affecting the player definitely but I imagine it will be tricky to create that mechanic in a way that isn't frustrating. How will I be able to prepare for any weather condition? I dont think its realistic if i can take my full plate off & just stick it in my inventory so that I can wear less if its too hot or fur if its too cold. Can anyone go into detail about how this could be realistic without causing frustration? I suppose if the negative effects were quite limited that is one way.
I don't like the idea of putting your heavy plate armor in your inventory if it's to hot, but luckily that won't be possible, at least from how I understand it.

However, if you're heading to a really hot area, (if there will be any, I doubt it thou, I think all we'll see is wastelands, maybe a snowy mountain but no artic environments, forests an the like) you could have to leave your armor behind, (in your house for instance, if we'll have player housing) if you're going to go a snowy mountain, maybe you could pack some fur in a bag.

Ah never mind, I don't think we'll have any advanced concerning this subject, however, hopefully, due to the limited inventory, we at least have to think about what weapons, herbs, how much money, "whatever item you can think about" we need to pack.

As I said, I don't think we'll be getting anything advanced, and I don't think BM want us to spend 20 minutes of preparation before we go on an adventure.

But hopefully we'll have to spend at least a few minutes to think about how much stuff we'll need to bring with us, and balance this with how much stuff we want to be able to loot.

Omenov

Insider
I agree. Functionality is a must. I would also add inside pockets if possible. The ability to take off your cloak and hang it up would be nice, but I'm dreaming.

The idea that we could raise the cowl and hide our face is a good one. I also think wearing a different cloak with different clothes might help with a disguise.
In one of the videos it shows the player placing a helmet on a table then a scroll on another table then lays down some weapons... I can only imagine you can put your cloak down although it might look folded up rather than hanging...this all might just happen in player housing at least that is how I took that video...a place to keep all your stuff. I can imagine walking through the woods then it dawns on you. Crap I left my cloak somewhere.... Where was that? Hah. Of course that is like real life too so ya never know.

XxBoDxX

Insider
Yeah you could make spells that gave you invisibility for 60 secs. Enemies couldnt see OR hear you even if you were to bump into them. Also there was a quest that made scamps spawn endlessly and you could just farm any combat skill until it was at 100 after hours and hours.

Having the ability to cover your face is awesome. In one of the videos the devs made, the player killed a guard and took his uniform and equipped it. It seemed like the players identity was hidden and they mistook them for a guard. If thats an actual mechanic of the game and not something for the sake of hype then its probably already in there. having weather affect your combat effectiveness sounds amazing, like ice making you slip or the cold making your muscles tighten up and make you slower in battle.

XxBoDxX

Insider
you could have to leave your armor behind, (in your house for instance, if we'll have player housing) if you're going to go a snowy mountain, maybe you could pack some fur in a bag.
Yeah man, this would be awesome if you had to actually think about being prepared for stuff. I think I remember reading somewhere that the devs WANT you to think and have to be prepared to win tough battles, But I too, doubt its gonna be that in depth.

Zodd

Insider
Side note but do to with the same original post... it would be interesting (if difficult) to see cloaks implemented as a defensive aid. I know particularly in rapier fighting the cloak was pretty effective (distraction and defence)

Imagine rapier and cloak fighting with the physics simulation in this game!

Yeah you could make spells that gave you invisibility for 60 secs. Enemies couldnt see OR hear you even if you were to bump into them. Also there was a quest that made scamps spawn endlessly and you could just farm any combat skill until it was at 100 after hours and hours.

Having the ability to cover your face is awesome. In one of the videos the devs made, the player killed a guard and took his uniform and equipped it. It seemed like the players identity was hidden and they mistook them for a guard. If thats an actual mechanic of the game and not something for the sake of hype then its probably already in there. having weather affect your combat effectiveness sounds amazing, like ice making you slip or the cold making your muscles tighten up and make you slower in battle.
there's an item in DnD called the hat of disguising, it essentially allowed you to change your appearance: height, weight, sex, race, clothing, weaponry and anything else one could possibly think to change your character's look, even into another character! i think that would be really cool as a stealth aspect, rather than sneaking in invisible to the naked eye, i think it would be cool to swagger in as a bandit camp's leader, or as a lackey and use this cap to kill the camp leader and take his place/ get away undetected

NachoDawg

Yeah I don't know how much I need the cloaks to serve a combat function, or to be incorporate into some sort of counter-rapier fighting stance. If cloaks get in the way of weapons then I would expect the physics to play out appropriatly, but that's all i need from them.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.