So... I'm Addicted to Exanima...

Zotis

1. I don't remember ever saying that losing your block when you attack to be a mistake, so don't know where you got that from :p

2. As for attacks blocking other attacks that does not come under defense that just comes under blind luck so i didn't need to add it and as for the shield, a shield in and of itself is self explanatory so i didn't feel the need.

3. When talking about health and mentioning the arena i must have worded it funny as i just meant to mention that you shouldn't worry about health replenishment as you gain it back after every round. That was simply a mistake in my wording

Thanks for mentioning these things though, i'll make a slight adjusted to the way i worded the stuff on the dungeon and damage.
This is what you said, "The third and final thing that is happening is you are letting your guard down, once you comit to a swing you are no longer able to block as the blocking in Exanima is automatic which i will get onto in a moment." It's in the "Attacking" section of the "Combat" section. Maybe when I upload some combat videos you'll see what I mean. I would just take out the words "you are no longer able to block," but otherwise it's true that the automatic blocking behavior does cease. Maybe once your guide gets a bit more in depth you can further expand beyond the basics of blocking and talk about parrying. I'll also point out in a video how your stamina can regenerate even while still in combat mode. It simply regenerates when you don't get hit for a while.

Regarding that strange sword, you probably noticed that it doesn´t have a tip. Which could hint that this is a very special purpose sword.
Well, I figured that sword must have been what was mentioned on one scroll about a weapon to defeat "them." Or something like that, I forget the exact wording.

So, it kind of seems to me like when a really cool secret is discovered the thing to do is keep it a secret right? ; )

Tony

Insider
So, it kind of seems to me like when a really cool secret is discovered the thing to do is keep it a secret right? ; )
Well, a lot of people don't like having the game spoiled so usually people will not do so unless specifically requested. If you don't care about that let me know and I'll be glad to tell you exactly where the secret is.

Suggett66

Insider
This is what you said, "The third and final thing that is happening is you are letting your guard down, once you comit to a swing you are no longer able to block as the blocking in Exanima is automatic which i will get onto in a moment." It's in the "Attacking" section of the "Combat" section. Maybe when I upload some combat videos you'll see what I mean. I would just take out the words "you are no longer able to block," but otherwise it's true that the automatic blocking behavior does cease. Maybe once your guide gets a bit more in depth you can further expand beyond the basics of blocking and talk about parrying. I'll also point out in a video how your stamina can regenerate even while still in combat mode. It simply regenerates when you don't get hit for a while.

Well, I figured that sword must have been what was mentioned on one scroll about a weapon to defeat "them." Or something like that, I forget the exact wording.

Mate you're looking into it to much, there is no actual parrying, it's just when a weapon collides against another by accident, i guess you can call it parrying it if you want. I may just be taking it the wrong way but i kinda don't like the way you're talking about the guide to be honest, it feels like you're being condescending and i don't really enjoy it. My guide is in depth enough and considering i''ve been following the game since it's release and playing since it's first alpha i know what i'm talking about.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Well, a lot of people don't like having the game spoiled so usually people will not do so unless specifically requested. If you don't care about that let me know and I'll be glad to tell you exactly where the secret is.
That´s the point. I can send you a PM telling you everything, but I thought someone as enthusiastic as you, Zotis, enjoys having something to sink his teeth into. If you want a hint or a walkthrough, just ask :p

The only other thing that I am willing to tell you unasked is this: That valuabe thing in the hidden room helps you to fight the game´s greatest enemy.

:>

Zotis

Mate you're looking into it to much, there is no actual parrying, it's just when a weapon collides against another by accident, i guess you can call it parrying it if you want. I may just be taking it the wrong way but i kinda don't like the way you're talking about the guide to be honest, it feels like you're being condescending and i don't really enjoy it. My guide is in depth enough and considering i''ve been following the game since it's release and playing since it's first alpha i know what i'm talking about.
Oh no, don't misunderstand. I'm just trying to give you constructive feedback. I'm not trying to knock what you're doing at all.

Yes your weapons can accidentally collide if you do it by accident. Parrying is when you understand that weapons can collide, and then you do it deliberately. That's not just what parrying is in the game as a mechanic (intentionally or otherwise), that's what parrying is in real life. It's in the game because the game is so realistic, even if it wasn't planned that way. Sometimes I find myself mid swing and realise that I'm not going to beat the incoming attack because I messed up my timing, and it's too late to block. By readjusting my swing I collide with the oncoming weapon and block it. Even the hilt of your weapon can block attacks. The combat is incredibly complex with all of the angles and movements. There are many subtle things I've begun to notice.

Na it's okay, I'll look for it myself. I do appreciate pleasant surprises. : )

ZaratanCho

Insider
Indeed, i have sometimes managed to block a hit when i strike and save myself. I remember one time i was about to be hit with a polearm and wasn't going to block it because i was doing an overhead strike so i shifted and hit the polearm as the swinging was coming making it hit the ground and stop. Those things are hard to do and don't happen often though it's mostly about split sec decisions.

Suggett66

Insider
Oh no, don't misunderstand. I'm just trying to give you constructive feedback. I'm not trying to knock what you're doing at all.

Yes your weapons can accidentally collide if you do it by accident. Parrying is when you understand that weapons can collide, and then you do it deliberately. That's not just what parrying is in the game as a mechanic (intentionally or otherwise), that's what parrying is in real life. It's in the game because the game is so realistic, even if it wasn't planned that way. Sometimes I find myself mid swing and realise that I'm not going to beat the incoming attack because I messed up my timing, and it's too late to block. By readjusting my swing I collide with the oncoming weapon and block it. Even the hilt of your weapon can block attacks. The combat is incredibly complex with all of the angles and movements. There are many subtle things I've begun to notice.

Na it's okay, I'll look for it myself. I do appreciate pleasant surprises. : )
Fair enough, sorry i snapped.

Murf

Sometimes I find myself mid swing and realise that I'm not going to beat the incoming attack because I messed up my timing, and it's too late to block. By readjusting my swing I collide with the oncoming weapon and block it.
pro tip: When this happens, and you know you are going to hit him, just let go of the button, the auto-block takes care of it for you, as long as you are facing correctly.

True, I also use my attacks to stop theirs. or just rushing fwd so the 'ugly' part of their weapon can't hit me.

Zotis

Fair enough, sorry i snapped.
No appology needed. I shouldn't have been so forward with my criticisms. I guess I let the excitement about my discoveries with combat get the better of me. When I am in a learning phase I can come across as a know-it-all. I get this sense that I've learned something huge and I suddenly understand all the mysteries of the universe. Heh, it gets me into trouble sometime. But yeah, I'm just excited that's all. I barely even know what I'm talking about, so I shouldn't have been so quick to "correct" you. :D

pro tip: When this happens, and you know you are going to hit him, just let go of the button, the auto-block takes care of it for you, as long as you are facing correctly.

True, I also use my attacks to stop theirs. or just rushing fwd so the 'ugly' part of their weapon can't hit me.
Lol, well when I said it was too late to block, I was referring to letting go and blocking. ;) I was being swung at by a two-handed sword, and I was using a two-handed sword too. My weapon was swinging from the opposite side as the incoming weapon, so I figured I would not be able to adjust in time. At least that was the first time I stumbled across the concept of parrying. Since then I've done it a bit more meditatively. When I know an attack is coming I just swing to knock it away and then I am in a better position for a light jab with my adversary exposed.

You can also fling your opponent by rushing into them, getting your weapon under their arm and attacking while swinging. It can send them pretty far and toppling over so you can punish them when they're on the ground. I really feel like there is an incredible amount of depth to the combat and those who master it will be like gods in multiplayer. And that's why I think there's so much e-sports potential. Just like in Super Smash Bros. Melee, most of the beggining techniques for professional tournaments are not so much glitches as exploits. Things that even the creators did not realise could be done, but are able to be done because of the incredible depth.

I really can't wait to do some in-depth videos of the combat mechanics, and to learn more about combat and the physics.

Have you guys experienced any crazy weird accidents in combat? I'd like to hear what weird things have happened. When accidents can be understood and repeated then advanced techniques can be grasped.

Oh, and thanks everyone for your responses and welcoming attitudes. I think I'm going to like it here. This forum is incredibly well designed in it's features too. Excellent site!

Last edited:

Murf

yeah there are some posts of a maul suplex, volge throws etc, very cool stuff happening.

Just found this too

Madoc said:
We're currently working to get the close quarters combat skill implemented in the next release. Each skill has several trainable "techniques". One technique which is currently already in the game and granted to all characters is "Fend", this allows abandoning an attack to quickly parry. Another technique we're introducing is "Riposte" which allows quickly launching an attack after a parry. We're also considering a 3rd technique that affects the "strength" of parries rather than timings

Zotis

I once killed an enemy mid-swinging it's axe, and the axe hurled past me like a throwing axe. It was really cool.

I do think the rag doll could use a bit of work. Sometimes when you die the character model bobs back to an upright stance before going rag doll. The main problem though is when you get caught and flung by a raging enemy. The character seems to loose all it's weight even if it's wearing heavy plate armor, and goes flying across the room taking considerable time to get back up. I've gone from zero to death in a helpless state because of this on more than one occassion. I got tangled with the enemy and they flung me and then wailed on me while I was on the ground, I could not move. On the other hand I've also done it to my enemies, so it's a double edged sword. But basically when a model goes rag doll I don't think it shouldn't loose all it's weight quite like that, even if it's dead. This could be easily abused in multiplayer I think.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.