What must SG have to leave a good first impression?

Tom

Insider
Some games do this by starting off with a fully-fledged high-skilled character, in a completely overwhelming battle situation whereby there's no chance that the player can win. The important thing is that the user has seen the potential "power" that will be unleashed later in the game. Then, after the prologue, the player starts off with absolutely nothing, ready to build up towards the character that they've glimpsed at the start. Situations such as amnesia/coma/reincarnation are often used to justify this. Obviously, it is of vital importance for the story to lend itself to this sort of thing in order for this to be an appropriate way to start the game. Whether this sort of thing would be appropriate for Sui Generis... who knows?!

That's a very good point, which I'd forgotten; it's used mainly in Jrpgs, if memory serves right.

I don't think it will fit with Sui Generis, though, but it's something to keep in mind nonetheless.

666jet

Insider
Bit off topic but can you imagine starting as a child and maybe doing a fallout style flash forward but maybe more in depth and if you were to do a high powerful character it could be your father/mother?

Tom

Insider
Bit off topic but can you imagine starting as a child and maybe doing a fallout style flash forward but maybe more in depth and if you were to do a high powerful character it could be your father/mother?

That's a cool idea. I dunno about playing one parent, since the game is all about the main character (you), but it would totally work in other kinds of games.

666jet

Insider
That's a cool idea. I dunno about playing one parent, since the game is all about the main character (you), but it would totally work in other kinds of games.
I totally threw the parent bit in there so it wasn't off topic with what we were talking about

Rob

I guess that depends on whether BM intend to have a fixed backstory, or let us choose out of a few options. If it's the latter, maybe there could be a different "prologues" for each one... like in DAO.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Being able to choose different backstory would be really great, it was great in Mass Effect. ;D Though if it is not defined(in any way) you can just fill it in yourself. ;D

I'm pretty sure back story isn't defined. In the "Sui Generic?" update, they say they hate it when games make you fill a preset character's shoes, or something along those lines.

Rob

Yes, you're right. And I agree with them that having to pick from a discrete number of options to pick from is always annoying.

However, what's the other option? A character has to have some sort of identity in order to not feel too shallow, and allow the player to connect with them. Having a back story is one way to do that, whether vague or specific. To date, BM haven't said exactly what's going to happen story-wise at the start of the game, but they have already said that the character is 'special' (r.e. the reincarnation thing), so there must be some sort of predefined back story.

I'd imagine so but it's probably very loose. I doubt anything important actually happens before you start playing (at least to your character) maybe it starts with the character becoming aware of the fact that they are special?

ZaratanCho

Insider
Well having options for a backstory is preferable if the backstory is a bit more detailed(better than having one option i mean). If there is a backstory and no options then it should be vague enough for you to be able to fill in whatever you want. I can just know in my head, what my(me) character is like and what has he done in the past. ;D
And exactly, about that being special, it is something that is probably not going to interfere much with your character as personality and such.

All in all whatever it is(the backstory?), I am confident i can always twist it and view it from a perspective that works for me(because I am sure it will not be unnecessarily detailed). ;D

Actually can you select age when you create your character, and if not, at what age do you start ?

There was an unfinished Age slider in the character creation that I think was shown in the 1st dev vid. Whether or not that applies to the player or is just for making NPCs, who knows.

Parco

what about this for a back story? a farmer and his/her family gets robbed by bandits and are killed, then he/she wakes up in a ditch somewhere and his/her wounds have all closed. without knowing where he/she is and what happened to him/her, he/she begins a journey to find the bandits who killer his/her family and get revenge.

Tom

Insider
what about this for a back story? a farmer and his/her family gets robbed by bandits and killed, then he/she wakes up in a ditch somewhere and her wounds have all closed. without knowing where he/she is and what happened to him/her, he/she begins a journey to find the bandits who killer his/her family and get revenge.

I like it. It's personal and direct. Also, short term. It will somehow lead into the "main quest".

Now see, if only the Devs were to shine some light on this...

Like, even a single line...

Or a pic...

*whistles*

I think I need to get better Madoc-bait.

Tony

Insider
However, what's the other option? A character has to have some sort of identity in order to not feel too shallow, and allow the player to connect with them. Having a back story is one way to do that, whether vague or specific. To date, BM haven't said exactly what's going to happen story-wise at the start of the game, but they have already said that the character is 'special' (r.e. the reincarnation thing), so there must be some sort of predefined back story.
I think there is some sort of backstory, but I assumed that discovering what is going on in the world of Sui Generis is going to be a major part of the gameplay. I think this includes discovering who your character actually is. I recall that in one the stories written by Tony, which was supposed to demonstrate how quests work in the game, the main character dies and is brought back to life and he has no idea what happened.

And there is also this quote taken from the Kickstarter SG page:
You start the game as apparently just a common villager but someone obviously disagrees, this puts your village in danger and you are exiled. You will be thrown into a hostile world you know nothing about and be forced to fend for yourself. As an unworldly villager you will discover this land and learn of it's history and current affairs, of the primitive people living in awe of a misconceived past. It soon becomes clear that you are no ordinary villager and indeed have some highly exceptional qualities.
Regardless of what backstory a character has all characters will be starting in the same situation, which leads me to believe that a simple introduction movie would be the best way to start the game. That way you aren't forced into actually playing through this sequence every time you start a new game (which might become a bit repetitive since you already know the outcome).

In conclusion, I think having the player start with a blank slate and a vague backstory shown in an introduction movie would be the easiest way to accomplish what the devs have stated they want to do.

Tom

Insider
Tony, thanks for pointing that out! I guess we don't need the Devs for this one :p

So I really like the original plan based on the KS: thrown into the thing in a sink-or-swim scenario. Brutal. Just like I expected the game to be.

Parco

i like the original plan better too, cant wait to know more about the backstory and the character we will be playing.

Komuflage

Insider
Regardless of what backstory a character has all characters will be starting in the same situation, which leads me to believe that a simple introduction movie would be the best way to start the game. That way you aren't forced into actually playing through this sequence every time you start a new game (which might become a bit repetitive since you already know the outcome)
What about a Demon's Souls kind of beginning. A Cutscene, that tells you a bit of the backstory, and then a short tutorial level, which is skip able after you've completed it once.

Personally I like cut scenes, but the best experiences comes from actually playing, hence I rather have a short cutscene and a short tutorial level, instead of just a cutscene. And since it's skip able, it wont become tedious as you don't have to re do it every time you create a new world/character.

Reactions: Tom

Rob

short tutorial level
Could be tricky, as I don't thing SG will have levels as such - it will be a bit more open world.

One option would be for the tutorial 'levels' to be completely separate from the main game, just meant to allow you to learn/practice some aspect of gameplay in a very limited closed-off environment. Like in the AC series. New tutorial levels could be unlocked as and when you gain the relevant ability in-game, e.g. some thaumaturgical power. Of course, if the controls are very intuitive then that won't be required. Hmmmm... I've just realised that this is moving slightly away from the "first 5 mins" issue, thinking more about tutorials in general...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.