Wounds, Limbs and Gore

Psychomorph

Insider
The gore was good in the last video, although blood "puffs" usually come from high energy rifle projectiles vaporizing liquid. With swords and such blood should rather behave physical, liquid, as in travel forth until it hits a surface such as the gound or the enemy, etc. I know BareMettle will get there, just sayin'. :D

Just imagine real liquid physics, like when blood splatts on the wall and runs down and drips bounce off and stain things that are close.
It's not about gore for me, but the enjoyment of realistic physics, be it for bodies and objects or liquids.

Reactions: Rob

Psychomorph

Insider
It was okay the way it was. I did not see people complaining about it, which people like to do a lot. :D

Regarding blood I had a thought though. If it stains clothing, in many games it disapepars after a short time, while realistically it doesn't, but fades dark after a time until it looks almost dark brown (and is probably no longer recognized as blood). Wonder if it was like that in SG and people would react to the blood on your clothes if it's relatively fresh (nothing over the top like panic, but just some remarks), but after some time would not anymore. So it would be an option to change cloths, or to wash them in the game. Armor is probably easier to clean.

Ah well, that's a bit too much details I guess, there are higher priorities. Was just thinking out loud.

Xumbik

Insider
It was okay the way it was. I did not see people complaining about it, which people like to do a lot. :D

Regarding blood I had a thought though. If it stains clothing, in many games it disapepars after a short time, while realistically it doesn't, but fades dark after a time until it looks almost dark brown (and is probably no longer recognized as blood). Wonder if it was like that in SG and people would react to the blood on your clothes if it's relatively fresh (nothing over the top like panic, but just some remarks), but after some time would not anymore. So it would be an option to change cloths, or to wash them in the game. Armor is probably easier to clean.

Ah well, that's a bit too much details I guess, there are higher priorities. Was just thinking out loud.
I don't think that's a bad idea. Stuff like that makes it more immersive, but on the other hand, it probably shouldn't be a top priority rather than a desirable enhancement.

Rob

We initially went for something more like that but without the blood actually sticking to things but just dissapearing it looked silly. We plan on adding decals but doing it properly takes some work, we couldn't get that done in time for the update.
Sure, we know these are early days, so can't expect everything!!!

However, just for the record, I agree with Psychomorph that there was too much routine blood puffage in update 13. I think that maybe there could be a few different effects that are either randomised, or are different depending on factors such as weapon; part of the body; whether or not there's any real cleavage or dismemberment, etc.

Probably there should only be a lot of blood splatter if a *real* wound has been inflicted. Otherwise, e.g. in the case of a slash, it can just bloody up the line where the weapon sunk in, with some residual blood seepage & drippage, and possibly a certain amount of highly-directed splatter (but not spherical puffage apart from in special cases such as dismemberment).

For inspiration, see here for good examples of various bloody situations (and make sure you watch it to the end, especially if you were following the thread about catapults/trebuchets... :D ):

Wakko

Insider

I would certainly like the more liquid feeling of blood. And I dont think that is a bad idea, in my opinion, its small things like these that makes the world feel like a world. Very immersed and the world feels like a world, it reacts to you actually being there, your choices and actions. I'd love it if more RPGs did it like this.

Speaking of blood, I really like how Overgrowth did it. (couldnt embed the video for some reason)

Watching its development is very interesting, he has some very good ideas and mechanics that is much better then how larger companies make them.

here is a older video of how he made blood

I dont really know if making details like this is really hard, but I personally feel like details like this really makes a difference.

Tony

Insider
here is a older video of how he made blood

I dont really know if making details like this is really hard, but I personally feel like details like this really makes a difference.
Haha I may have a morbid sense of humor... but the calm, relaxing music playing in the background while the rabbit bleeds out I found to be quite humorous!

Tony Dye

Insider

I can't speak to the graphical representation, but your appearance will certainly matter in terms of how people react to you. It's one of the main considerations I'm facing as we work on dialog and quest options.

Psychomorph

Insider
Speaking of blood, I really like how Overgrowth did it. (couldnt embed the video for some reason)
Oh man, I didn't play Overgrowth for ages. Keep downloading the new builds but didn't try them. Quite the progress. Needless to say Overgrowth is genius, from the technological point of view as well from the gameplay and mechanics point of view.

I can't speak to the graphical representation, but your appearance will certainly matter in terms of how people react to you. It's one of the main considerations I'm facing as we work on dialog and quest options.
Great to hear!

Zodeak

Insider
Sorry dude but if you are dismembered in a medieval setting you are rather boned. You would be losing massive amounts of blood, be in immense amounts of pain, it would be a miracle if you could even move. Once you get past that, and somehow get to a surgeon, you then have to deal with massive amounts of infection after it is sewn up.
Well, you could always get a blood transfusion? Oh, wait, low-fantasy medieval setting...

If your PCharacter gets an arm cut off I'm gonna put it out there and say that your adventuring career is well and truly over, so maybe not the best thing to implement. Dismemberment should be used liberally on NPCs though. *Liberally*

Rob

If your PCharacter gets an arm cut off I'm gonna put it out there and say that your adventuring career is well and truly over, so maybe not the best thing to implement. Dismemberment should be used liberally on NPCs though. *Liberally*
I disagree - I think that the same laws should apply to you as they do for all of your enemies. You shouldn't receive any special treatment, just because you're not an NPC!!! Apparently, one of the huge aspects of the storyline is that the main character has some sort of special regeneration ability... not sure exactly what the backstory is, but basically it'll allow you to respawn if you get killed, so fortunately your adventuring career will never truly be over!!!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.