What's your favorite character setup?

What is your favorite character setup?

• Total voters

Natharias

What's your favorite character setup (height, weapon, shield, etc.)? Do you play aggressively, defensively, or alternate between offense and defense? Why do you like your play style?

In the arena I prefer short and two-handed. I've yet to play the campaign extensively, but I'll probably prefer short and one-handed with shield. Being short helps with dodging attacks by crouching but leaves you vulnerable as you are moving down, but more importantly a short character with a short weapon has much less trouble in tight spaces. If you go up against someone with a longer reach, just run up and push against them for most of the fight. Or you can swap to a two-hander if you have it.

Scarecrow

Insider
Mid-height, two-hander would be my favourite setup. Either 2h Sword or a polearm of sorts.

I really enjoy one-hander, no shield as well though. I alternate between the two a lot.

Murf

Well since I have played quite a bit, I try to pick characteristics and weapons at random. Makes for a fun game.

Oh didn't know the height was-character height. I play mid-tall, one hander with shield, I shud try without the shield but I am very nimble with it. I just finished the campaign again and had only like 3 close calls, when I got jumped by 4,when I was walking out of a room and did see the proctor till she swung into my midriff taking 3/4 of my health I guarded, backed back into the room, circled her then locked her in and healed up, then came to take her out. The ghouls are really easy once I get a proper sword, 3 solid hits and they go down. Why do people seem to have trouble fighting in hallways, I don't seem to have that issue, i have good hand-held coordination, and it's pretty easy to see how your character would strike.

Parco

voted other because i play all kinds of different styles. but i have been playing long with 2h quite alot lately.

Satorii

In arena I like to play Conan the Barbarian types, and dress 'em up with barbarian gear (sleeveless tunic, bracers, boots, and no pants) haha. Sometimes I muck around with really scrawny fellas and give them a maul. Other times I go for a fencing master type of guy with just a 1h sword, which works out pretty well until the plated 2-handers. For all these builds I usually like to counterattack and back away quickly, sometimes surprising them by charging at the beginning. The suprise charge "tactic" catches most enemies off guard about 60% of the time. I usually go for an overhead charge with a greatsword, and when it hits, it feels fantastic. I've found that short, skinny builds can't really cover much distance or swing a heavy sword that fast, so I usually go for leg/side hits with them.

In campaign I play a short-mid height lady with a 1h and shield, and a greatsword alt. Since I'm pretty well-armored up, I like to charge in and rain down attacks on dudes with nothing but candle holders and crutches. It's fun.

Satorii

...Being short helps with dodging attacks by crouching but leaves you vulnerable as you are moving down, but more importantly a short character with a short weapon has much less trouble in tight spaces.
That makes sense. Another thing about crouching is that when your opponent is on the ground, and you do an overhand, pressing crouch as you bring the sword down gives it more punch. That is my favorite thing. When I play tall characters and I'm up against a shorter enemy, I usually try to do that even while they're standing at least once a fight. Only worked once so far, and it was that motherfucker with the sickle polearm.

Natharias

That makes sense. Another thing about crouching is that when your opponent is on the ground, and you do an overhand, pressing crouch as you bring the sword down gives it more punch. That is my favorite thing. When I play tall characters and I'm up against a shorter enemy, I usually try to do that even while they're standing at least once a fight. Only worked once so far, and it was that motherfucker with the sickle polearm.
I do something similar. When I use 2h swords I crouch when I do side swings. Not only does it help get by shields (works most of the time), it adds a little extra punch to the hit.

Yet it's not all I do. If I can manage it, I swing after the crouch-side-swing I just did above and do it by coming up. This adds a little extra power to the swing coming up as well. Sometimes this will get blocked but it ends up jutting into the enemy's neck or face, causing horrific damage.

The worst is the most embarrassing. I crouched too soon one-time and my sword got stuck, I moved forward, and the physics cause the sword to come up with such force that it skewered into my enemy's neck and threw them up slightly. I did this with the axe/shield woman in the Novice Arena. I didn't believe what had happened until I replicated it-and it is very difficult to pull off.

Yes I have crouched to hit legs, but I try not to as the AI can't defend against it yet which makes it feel like when u r playing a fighting game and ur friend is crouched and continuously hits ur leg; annoying. I play a more defensive style I would say, as I use the shield. If I get the opponent off-balance I can usually do 2-3 quick swings that don't do as heavy damage but is usually enough.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Tall and two-handed (polearms). Range is my favorite form of defense.

Not to say that I dont switch things up from time to time with sword&board.

Natharias

Yes I have crouched to hit legs, but I try not to as the AI can't defend against it yet which makes it feel like when u r playing a fighting game and ur friend is crouched and continuously hits ur leg; annoying. I play a more defensive style I would say, as I use the shield. If I get the opponent off-balance I can usually do 2-3 quick swings that don't do as heavy damage but is usually enough.
I know what you mean, and it is hard to guard your legs as well. But I found the worst thing is that crouching causes the AI to immediately switch to an overhand attack, which can save you from side swings and so on. Even if you only go part of the way the AI senses you're crouched and goes overhand.

NachoDawg

Is there really any other way to go but Norse Barbarian mode? tall, two-handed sword.

I hope it'll transition into a neat battle-mage class later

Bobob

In the campaign I am (or had been until a few minutes ago :() a sledgehammer wielding giant.

Edit: Also in arena I noticed that when using a tall character sometimes you stumble a bit when crouching which can screw up overheads.

Natharias

In the campaign I am (or had been until a few minutes ago :() a sledgehammer wielding giant.

Edit: Also in arena I noticed that when using a tall character sometimes you stumble a bit when crouching which can screw up overheads.
Tall characters stumble both in the Arena and campaign often. It's another minor reason I prefer short characters.

Tall characters stumble both in the Arena and campaign often. It's another minor reason I prefer short characters.
yeah and they also do really well in close quarters due to short arms and quick swings, equipping them with sword and shield is great, as 2 handers are winding up their attack i can land a quick counter most of the time. the amount of control i feel with a short 1-hander is amazing and it allows me to play much more aggressively.

Natharias

yeah and they also do really well in close quarters due to short arms and quick swings, equipping them with sword and shield is great, as 2 handers are winding up their attack i can land a quick counter most of the time. the amount of control i feel with a short 1-hander is amazing and it allows me to play much more aggressively.
On the contrary, I can't do that. Most of the time I'll get hit by the two-hander either really close to the hilt (like being hit in the face since the shield gets caught below the arm) or from the very tip from "shaped" weapons. Shaped meaning anything not stick-like. There are too many times an axe or bill or scythe will scrape me.

But what I'll do is swing to hit their weapon, then swing again and get a solid chest shot. This is more effective the taller the enemy is since a short character's reach is just so...short.

When I play tall and/or two-handers, my style is very aggressive. I always use feints and crouch to throw the enemy off. Short characters using any non-two-hander setup makes me very defensive. I never throw an attack; I only counterattack. I just never got the hang of throwing the initial hit no matter what I try or when I try it.

On the contrary, I can't do that. Most of the time I'll get hit by the two-hander either really close to the hilt (like being hit in the face since the shield gets caught below the arm) or from the very tip from "shaped" weapons. Shaped meaning anything not stick-like. There are too many times an axe or bill or scythe will scrape me.

But what I'll do is swing to hit their weapon, then swing again and get a solid chest shot. This is more effective the taller the enemy is since a short character's reach is just so...short.

When I play tall and/or two-handers, my style is very aggressive. I always use feints and crouch to throw the enemy off. Short characters using any non-two-hander setup makes me very defensive. I never throw an attack; I only counterattack. I just never got the hang of throwing the initial hit no matter what I try or when I try it.
yeah it's disheartening get smacked directly in the face by a 2 hand swipe and losing like all of your health. i try to stay inside the range of a 2 hander, like when they attack or i attack i step towards them. honestly my main nuisance are other 1 hand shield bearers, the fights are usually pretty close and last a long time. aggressive play with a short 1 hander is fantastic, i once decimated the sledgehammer guy in novice by non-stop swinging while constantly moving towards him. but which 2 hand weapon do you prefer? i can't for the life of me choose one and do well with it consistently.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.