Add jumping

I think a fully physics based jumping mechanic would some pretty interesting depth to this game, especially if you make it so you and rotate with 6 degrees of freedom while in mid air, allowing your self if you have the skill, to throw your weight around to propel your self into a sort of back flip taking advantage of the opening above the enemies head.

Make it so however that if you fail to have appropriate control of your character in midair, and specifically during a landing, you will fall down, leaving you very vulnerable.

Syllabear3

You can jump in armor but not perform crazy moves like in the animations above :p.
Would be pointless to jump 1 feet fully armored. I don't see the point anyways.
Maybe outside combat, to bypass an obstacle but not more than that.

burgzaza

Insider
One of the things I could spend hours in GTA was to jump and go boulder on random people, cars, bridges... It's really fun with good physics, could be great in Exanima.
Also a quite risky move, if the opponent don't fall with you, you'll get hit.

Would A.I use jumps too ? Maybe that would be useful to later add some jumping and biting creatures ?

Last edited:

Gozer

You guys are tripping hard. The game engine doesn't function off canned animations.

It took years to get these toons to walk somewhat normal. You think it aint nothing to get characters to actually lift their foot off the floor, let alone jump?

Not to shoot you down, bro, but this is right up there with dreams of Arena multi player Esports dominance.

burgzaza

Insider
Sure yeah jump would be pretty hard to create and balance, it would also possibly allow too many cheap tactics, but it still sounds quite fun. But what doesn't ? On Steam forums someone asked if it was possible to play as a Beast in the arena...
With that good physics a lot of things would be fun. The real question is what game BM wants to do.
My current feeling is that the most control over your character, the better, but yeah I agree, it is far to be an essential mechanic.
Still, I can imagine how it could be used in other ways than just fun and cheap tactics. More environment possibilities if you can jump. For example you set a trap, with a big rock onto a fragile structure, and a plank on the ground to trigger it, you could lure an enemy to it and jump over the plank, while the A.I could also jump, one of you could trigger it.
Simply jump from a high ground onto someone while attacking, could be awesome too.
Or jump above a mechanical low blade trap... etc.

bobchaos

Here's the scene how I imagine it: Guy comes rushing at you, leaps heroically with sword ready to strike, and then the you just deflects the blade and push him effortlessly to the ground, right before going for decapitation XD

Jumping sounds cool, but you won't see much of it in martial arts (both armed and unarmed) because while you're not touching the ground, you literally have no balance. You can't re-orient the direction or velocity of your jump, at best you can turn your own body on itself. Doesn't mean jumping is 100% useless in melee combat but like others pointed out it might get complicated when wearing armor o_O Also, not even M Jordan jumps as high as the guy from the anime up there XD

I just don't think this would add much to the game beside an opportunity for noobs to fail harder than they already do on their first arena match :/

Actually in terms of realism people can absolutely jump that high.

And those people didn't even have proper training, imagine if they trained for years doing that while also implementing sword fighting tactics.

Now in regards to it being difficult to use, that's the point, only the most skilled of players would actually take advantage of such extreme techniques because they require fine control and understanding of your body's momentum and physics overall.

Last edited:

bobchaos

The guys in that vid have high clearance because they twist their bodies sideways while jumping :/ It's not like they propelled themselves 6 feet up! They also had a running start, something that's hard to get when your opponent is doing is damnest to keep you within melee range.

Either way, I disagree it should be implemented, it doesn't feel like fancy acrobatics are in the "spirit of the game". Also, I can't come up with a user input scheme that would both make sense and be skill-driven to control your whole body while in mid air. I'd rather the devs refine the motion we already have than add this. Could be just me tho :/

Jumping in exploration mode would be cool. My toon got caught inside a crate and couldnt jump out. I had to run back and forth until she fell out. Jumping or Climbing would have eliminated that.

Jenn BRD

bobchaos

Jumping in exploration mode would be cool. My toon got caught inside a crate and couldnt jump out. I had to run back and forth until she fell out. Jumping or Climbing would have eliminated that.

Jenn BRD
Here I thought I'd already found all the cool ways of exploiting the engine for comical effect XD How'd you get stuck inside a crate?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.