Aiming your attacks?

Parco

in a short answer; crouching (for lower hits), turning (an attack doesnt always stay in the same height from beginning to end), moving back and forth (affects if the swing goes high or low) or sideways (same as turning)

Last edited:

Murf

If the cursor is up near the NPC's head you will swing at his head, if it is near his feet, you will swing at his feet.

If the cursor is up near the NPC's head you will swing at his head, if it is near his feet, you will swing at his feet.
Is that true? I read that it was random based? and people were quite annoyed that their skill was somewhat based on luck, except what parco said, controlling your movements and such.

Murf

I aim at the legs quite a bit in the arena, only way I can hit some of the armored folk

I tried swinging at a wall with diffrent aim heights. Seems to be pretty random for me. When you lunge forward and attack all the swings seem to be pointing down alot, though, Can that explain why you are hitting their legs? Considering lunging forward and attacking is quite a secure hit after they have made their attack

Murf

Dunno, just know when I aim at their legs I hit the legs, when I aim at the head, I hit the head, or shoulders.

Last edited:
Well, its an important point, I would gladly have something to back it up... When you say it I agree i often hit what i want, but, alot of times not, it could just be that we acknowledge the times they work.

Pilluminati

Insider
Well, its an important point, I would gladly have something to back it up... When you say it I agree i often hit what i want, but, alot of times not, it could just be that we acknowledge the times they work.
FYI, I suggested being able to control the height of your attacks way back http://www.baremettle.com/sg/forums/index.php?threads/suggestions-to-tighten-up-the-combat-with-pics.1205/
You can see all the counter arguments in the discussion between me and Madoc there.

Vold

Insider
The cursor moves in a 2d plane, the character reacts to it turning the body with a slight delay (physics). All the differences of height are not directly related to the location of the pointer but to how the character reacts to it (turning).
That's all, I believe (pretty sure).

This is hardly going to change... think about all the problems it would cause with the physics.

As @Blodetsprutar, mentioned moving with WASD also has an effect on it, but it's same as with cursor in the sense that it changes based on how the character reacts to it based on physics.

In conclusion, everything is run by physics, and for that to happen you cannot have full control over your character; just inputs that through physics and character simulation, have control over the character.

Note: I made this all up; but more or less I think this is how it works.

Last edited:

Pilluminati

Insider
The cursor moves in a 2d plane, the character reacts to it turning the body with a slight delay (physics). All the differences of height are not directly related to the location of the pointer but to how the character reacts to it (turning).
That's all, I believe (pretty sure).

This is hardly going to change... think about all the problems it would cause with the physics.

As @Blodetsprutar, mentioned moving with WASD also has an effect on it, but it's same as with cursor in the sense that it changes based on how the character reacts to it based on physics.

In conclusion, everything is run by physics, and for that to happen you cannot have full control over your character; just inputs that through physics and character simulation, have control over the character.

Note: I made this all up; but more or less I think this is how it works.
Not everything is determined by the physics. The starting height of the swing is determined randomly (which the ending height depends on). The only real way to affect it is by crouching and very minor variation caused by physics.

Vold

Insider
Not everything is determined by the physics. The starting height of the swing is determined randomly (which the ending height depends on). The only real way to affect it is by crouching and very minor variation caused by physics.
It's not random, it's based on the physics of the previous movements.

Last edited:

Pilluminati

Insider
It's not random, it's based on the physics of the previous movements.
So I suppose you have source code access and know the code better than Madoc then?
Here is a direct quote from him:
There is a random component to strikes but these are supposed to be fairly subtle variation in angles, the charge up for the strike is slightly exaggerated so you can see what strike you're about to do. There's 3 basic arcs, low to high, high to low and mid to mid, they're supposed to all be very similar and peak at exactly the same height in front of the character. In practice the animations are probably a bit off as we haven't tweaked them in a while and they need constant maintenance with changes occuring to the system. The one handed weapon animation in particular look a bit off to me. A big factor in apparently random strike height is also just the physics, a lot of interactions, including just your character turning and the resulting centrifugal force, can have a noticeable effect on your character's body and the height of strikes.

Vold

Insider
Hmm, to be honest this is the first time I read this. :p
In any case, it does not change the fact that the starting HEIGHT of the swing is mostly based on physics than random, otherwise it would not make any sense to me. From what I read there is a slight randomness on the angle.

On a side note, even if I had the source code, I'd hardly understand any of it. :)

Pilluminati

Insider
Hmm, to be honest this is the first time I read this. :p
In any case, it does not change the fact that the starting HEIGHT of the swing is mostly based on physics than random, otherwise it would not make any sense to me. From what I read there is a slight randomness on the angle.

On a side note, even if I had the source code, I'd hardly understand any of it. :)
This is not what I consider slight variations. If anything, the physics are the slight variations and not the other way round. As you can see, all the hits are done when the character is standing still and should produce the same results if the height was determined deterministically, but look at the variations.

Vold

Insider
You are right, I was curious about it so I tested it out as well. Sorry, I'm a lil stubborn sometimes; I have to admit that it really fooled me. :p

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.