Arena Pass Time, Skip Day?

diamok

So totally new to Exanima and really diggin the arena feature. I play sort of like a Gladiator owner, meaning I hire peeps to fight for me and don't do any fighting myself.

Problem is, once they get hurt, they take time to heal...Wondering if there is a way to just skip days, pass the time or wait for them to heal up? Understand if this is a planned feature, or if there is something else in the works too.

Sorry if this is listed some where in the Updates forum, or else where. I did a number of searches all over the site and couldn't find anything related to this. If I'm dumb and missed it, forgive me.

Take care,

Zoltan

Supporter
You can do pugilism match I never had a lethal fight, so they will heal and fight at the same time.

diamok

Yeah, I've tried that and it does work....ish. But trying to role play a bit I guess, though prob to early in the games development to do that.

Tyon

Well there's beds, so I think we can assume there will be some sort of resting mechanic. It would be appreciated, I find pugilism fights to be boring and would rather just skip a day.

diamok

My thoughts exactly Tyon...I would be really interested in a Gladiator manager/sim as part of the game.

diamok

Sorry for double post, but even beyond passing time to allow hirelings to heal, sometimes there are matches that either I am not interested in, or I have to use 3 of my hirelings to enter it. Skipping a day, resting or what have you, would allow the system to then move forward and offer different match choices.

I mean, I'm not trying to set myself up for the best possible match option or anything, just want a bit more depth. But again, understand the game is in it's infancy, there may be features planned that cover what I/we are looking for.

NachoDawg

I seriosuly doubt they will just let you skip days, because when you do a fight and some time passes: the shop updates and everyone heals a bit.

But for those two very good things to happen, you need to enter a fight. What sense would it make to just give you those two benefits through just a "skip" button. You might aswell have a "refresh shop" button and make all the characters fully heal between fights.

The hirelings/recruits, if i remember correctly, has an upkeep. Though I think it's just for having them in a fight with you. Maybe if the upkeep had to be paid for all your party members when doing a "days rest" or something? Like you pay them for their day off when they dont get to earn money by working . Idk, there has to be a downside to instantly refresh the shop and have everyone heal

Edit: I also heard they are planning on having a heal mechanic eventually. Like a doctor you pay to heal your people or something

diamok

I'm not looking to "refresh" anything to get an upper hand, but some way to get my guys healed, beyond entering matches with guys who have half health or worse to pass the time is a reasonable feature. Whether it be a doc of some sort, resting, or another mechanic is fine...I would like them to expand the arena to add in options that allow for a manager type game. I don't want to just skip willy nilly here and there, beyond cheating, that would be completely boring.

Oh, by the responses, I take it there is no such way to do this right now.

Tyon

It makes sense to rest. Imagine if you were a gladiator and you took a sword to the arm, giving you a deep wound and you barely managed to come out of that fight alive, what would you do? Go and fist fight some guy the next day or rest in bed for a few days?

There would already be a drawback to resting; you would not make any money or get any XP that day, so it would be slowing down progress if anything. Also, it would be odd to not be able to rest because there are beds in the hub, and everything in this game is supposed to have a purpose.

NachoDawg

There would already be a drawback to resting; you would not make any money or get any XP that day, so it would be slowing down progress if anything. Also, it would be odd to not be able to rest because there are beds in the hub, and everything in this game is supposed to have a purpose.
how do you see it slow down anything? with a really long wait time while you sleep? Curious about what you're thinking of on this one

(Game is more about fun game play than realism. That's why there is no food system, resting, or item durability planned for EX and SG (I'm on mobile but I think you'll find quotes in the grand dev quote thread))

konggary

Rest makes sense though. Forcing you to put a character into danger regardless of their condition just feels arbitrary and artificial.

Allowing a day, week, etc. to pass does have its drawbacks: a rival organization would have the opportunity to train or build wealth, giving them an advantage over you. In addition, days without training would mean your recruits become either lazy or rusty, dead weight for the upkeep you pay on them.

A medicine man would heal a lot faster than rest, of course, but would cost quite a bit. Perhaps you will have to pay for your accommodations based on how many people you own in addition to their individual payrolls, prompting you to balance rest & earning wealth.

Tyon

how do you see it slow down anything? with a really long wait time while you sleep? Curious about what you're thinking of on this one

(Game is more about fun game play than realism. That's why there is no food system, resting, or item durability planned for EX and SG (I'm on mobile but I think you'll find quotes in the grand dev quote thread))
It slows progress down because if you rest a day, you will not earn any XP or money. If it still seems like an exploit, then the shop could stay the same if you rest.

I know this game isn't striving for realism, but it just makes more sense that a fighter would rest after being heavily wounded than get into a fist fight the next day. Like the dungeon, I think the arena should also make you apply things you've learned in real life.

NachoDawg

@Tyon Either there's something I'm completely missing, or that flat out doesn't make sense.

Pressing a single button does in no way halt progress in any mentionable way. If anything it will increase progress because you can use your fighters more often meassured in IRL time

Jacob Jones

Supporter
TLDR : No skip time button. Fighters in base, healer good, spectate fights, fans cheer for me.

I think it would be cool if your hirelings, recruits, and even some other NPC's could be found around the shop and training areas etc. walking around, training with the dummies, resting in beds, eating food, walking around, an actual guy who works at the store... I'm gonna start stealing from it cause there are no cameras, and shits just sitting there asking to be used in battle. It would bring more life to the base. I literally explored it one time, and then I just stand in one spot where I can reach my roster, store, and the fights list without moving. I know they said that more was on the way so I hope we see this sort of thing someday.

As for resting and passing time to heal, I'd rather pay money to a physician who puts leeches on me or something, you know patches my boo boos up with some Band-Aids, and then I can use another fighter until mine is healed. I think the fact that fighters heal automatically after a fight is kinda dumb. I think that they should need to go to the healer first, and then once they have they can heal after the rounds. You gotta pay the price for being careless in a fight. Wounded fighters shouldn't enter a fight until they've been looked at by a physician, and he will tell them to rest and heal. Like below a certain health threshold your fighters should be considered crippled and be grayed out from the list until they heal. Also fighters who have gone to see the healer, should be restricted form entering for a few fights. They should be in bed and eating chicken noodle soup.

You'll run out of fighters if that happens! Yep. But you can pass the time by placing bets and spectating fights or something, and if you're out of fighters and out of money, then I guess I would be okay with a "pass the time" feature. But I would want to spectate a fight or something. If it just went black for a sec, and then faded back in I would think that is silly. I love the realism, but at its core, this is a game meant to be played for fun times. Seriously though, I wanna get in on some of that sweet sweet spectating/betting action. And I want to have fans. There needs to be an audience for some of the fights! People gotta cheer for me, and boo at the enemy. I want everyone to make noise when I smack a dude in the face with my metal bar, I wanna hear booing and hissing and cheering and clapping. It might even be interesting if there was only an entry fee, and your winnings were based off of pre-determined odds or something. I derailed...

NO. No skip time button. That is my humble opinion. I won't throw a fit if something like that gets added though because I love this game, and its community and its developers. I just wanna have fun.

Tyon

@Tyon Either there's something I'm completely missing, or that flat out doesn't make sense.

Pressing a single button does in no way halt progress in any mentionable way. If anything it will increase progress because you can use your fighters more often meassured in IRL time
You get no exp for sleeping.. I guess you're right in the sense that it isn't exactly slowing anything down, but it isn't speeding things up either.

NachoDawg

You get no exp for sleeping.. I guess you're right in the sense that it isn't exactly slowing anything down, but it isn't speeding things up either.
Can you counter argue or explain how it doesn't? The entire point of the rest button isto save time not having to do a bunch of pugilism matches before you can go back to doing the matches you want to

Clanf

just make resting cost money - problem solved, balance preserved
money goes to rent room for rest, food, healing, if you have hirelings - each will raise price even more, but this everything will be behind scene (in small popup before rest, telling you how much you will spend)

diamok

I think a number of you only read the skip time part of my post. I in no way implied I wanted to cheat the game, have an upper hand on any AI or just heal my guys up so they can fight more to make me more money. What my issue is, after a fight, they are hurt and there odds of winning in the next fight are lowered, because they are already hurt, it is not realistic. Is that better, I used the term realistic now, does that effect your assumptions on my desire to cheat?

Man, you literally have to spell every freaking thing out for some people. Oh but I'm sure someone will attack this post now. Gah!

Regardless, the Arena aspect of the game has far more potential then what is currently implemented, if the devs want to, or have time to improve it, there are many routes and avenues they could go.

I leave it at that, as my question was answered, there is no way, at this point in development, to pass time.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.