Best combat systems so far

Fantasmo

I played all RPGs and ARPGs and what definitely stood out was Dungeon Siege 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur(putting difficulty issues aside) as most enjoyable, dynamic and best animated.

Especially the Lucas character in Dungeon Siege 3, now I have to admit that at first I wasn't thrilled with the game but once I took the time to learn the keys, switching, blocking and using proper abilities the game(or combat at least) was absolutely amazing and nothing came close to it ever since. Actually a game like Diablo 3 looks quite primitive in comparison to Dungeon Siege 3.

It is very skill based(your skill, not ingame skill) because every single enemy can be dangerous if you falter and the boss fights were the best I've seen. It's such a shame it didn't become a huge hit due to impatience of people to learn new stuff.

It seems Sui Generis is definitely following in this path and trying to bring it to the next level.

Parco

indeed the combat system in sui generis looks awesome, cant wait to try it. but if you like games with good combat skills needed, i recommend you to try out Overgrowth. This game is only in alpha, but its one of the best combat games ive played so far. In this game, taking on 2-3 of the weakest guys might more dangerous than fighting 1 of the strongest.

Mount & Blade: Warband obviously should be mentioned. It has a combat system that involves a lot of skill, and a lot of complexity behind the scenes. It includes directional attacks and parries, timing and footwork are really important, and the mechanics behind knockdown and damage modifiers are good. The difference between a novice and an expert in this system is huge. I'm glad to hear Madoc say that the combat system is "easy to learn, but hard to master" because I think the same can be said for most of the great combat systems out there.

I don't know if you guys played Dragon's Dogma but the combat (melee) is so fun to do and just overal impressive imo.

Mount and Blade: Warband is one of my favourite games (the modding community is very dear to me lol). The combat is pretty good but not flawless. Mounted combat is a fucking delight however.

Ickorus

Insider
If you removed invincibility frames and the bs backstab & riposte insta-kills Dark Souls' combat system would be beautiful.

Tone down magic/pyromancy/lightning damage (Lightning damage may have been nerfed already, been a while since I PvPed) a bit and it would be pretty balanced too.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
indeed the combat system in sui generis looks awesome, cant wait to try it. but if you like games with good combat skills needed, i recommend you to try out Overgrowth. This game is only in alpha, but its one of the best combat games ive played so far. In this game, taking on 2-3 of the weakest guys might more dangerous than fighting 1 of the strongest.
I'd recommend overgrowth definitely, that games built purely on fighting.

The jump kick is too much, it's one of them rofl moments.

It has nothing to do with rpg or anything but Toribash was pretty interesting.

I've heard that Chivalry was good either but yeah mount and blade is the best I've played so far, I would also like to mention assassin's creed for the animations and the (very light) roleplaying factor included within the controls of the game, I could also mention bushido blade. Anyway I will check on Dungeon siege 3 now, I've done the second one and it was a standard hack and slash (one of the best I've played), so what you're saying about the combat looks intriguing.

Wakko

Insider
Overgrowth definitely. You shouldnt except Dungeon Siege 3 to be anything like the first two games (it sucks rather hard actually), if you liked Dungeon Siege 2 you should rather play Dungeon Siege 1 with its expansion, Legend of Aranna? or something like that. That game is superior both DS3 and DS2 in my opinion

I've grown a bit fond of Path of Exiles combat system though, even if its a little rough around the edges sometimes. Killing lots of enemies is fun

Calradian

Mount & Blade: Warband obviously should be mentioned.
Not only mentioned but acknowledged as THE best mounted melee & ranged and a top 3 in melee combat games (still can't decide if below Chivalry:Medieval Warfare but definitively above War of the Roses). And after those 3 games there is a huge drop in quality of melee combat system to all other games-with-swords. Even to Jedi Knight series or the ancient but legendary Die by the Sword.

Overgrowth is great but it's more fighting/martial arts with some melee weapons in it, and more importantly - it's still an alpha WIP... and if we include them too - this discussion can stop by mentioning CLANG: kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

Incidentally I really hope that CLANG's API is made available before Bare Mettle Ent. guys set in stone the combat system ;)

Mello

Insider
Pretty much dark
If you removed invincibility frames and the bs backstab & riposte insta-kills Dark Souls' combat system would be beautiful.
Yeah pretty much dark souls minus back stabs. The combat in that game is quite incredible really.

Ickorus

Insider
Overgrowth definitely. You shouldnt except Dungeon Siege 3 to be anything like the first two games (it sucks rather hard actually), if you liked Dungeon Siege 2 you should rather play Dungeon Siege 1 with its expansion, Legend of Aranna? or something like that. That game is superior both DS3 and DS2 in my opinion

I've grown a bit fond of Path of Exiles combat system though, even if its a little rough around the edges sometimes. Killing lots of enemies is fun
I only like Ranged combat in PoE, melee is a bit lackluster.

If we are talking about combat, and mostly ARPG's I would strongly recommend watching this:
, it is a gameplay introduction of "Lineage Eternal" an upcoming ARPG from NCSOFT. It draws on some elements from previous games, but does do some quite impressing things, for this type of game. I know that Sui Generis is trying to redesign the whole way of thinking about combat, at least the way it looks now:) But check the vid.

Tony

Insider
If we are talking about combat, and mostly ARPG's I would strongly recommend watching this: ...insert over-the-top combat video here..., it is a gameplay introduction of "Lineage Eternal" an upcoming ARPG from NCSOFT. It draws on some elements from previous games, but does do some quite impressing things, for this type of game. I know that Sui Generis is trying to redesign the whole way of thinking about combat, at least the way it looks now:) But check the vid.
I only watched about four minutes of the video but it seems to be pretty typical Korean combat; extreme moves with extreme consequences. I much prefer the current combat system of Sui Generis. I like in Sui Generis how everything is based on physics and your direct actions. If you get knocked over it's because you were off balance and hit hard enough to actually knock you over. Not a default action like in the video. In that video people go flying for no reason. In Sui Generis if you block something with your shield it's because your shield was placed properly to intercept the attack. That Korean game plays more like an arcade game while Sui Generis plays more like a simulator.

Parco

it is a gameplay introduction of "Lineage Eternal" an upcoming ARPG from NCSOFT. It draws on some elements from previous games, but does do some quite impressing things, for this type of game. I know that Sui Generis is trying to redesign the whole way of thinking about combat, at least the way it looks now:) But check the vid.
Agreeing with Tony, ive seen and played too many games like this and gone tired of games where u walk around beating huge crowds with overpowered abilities and then after a while fighting a boss that takes forever to defeat with those meganukes of abilities you have, thats why ive started enjoying games like Mark of the ninja, Overgrowth and other fighting games.

Ickorus

Insider
I do really like the way they can draw spells and attacks in Lineage Eternal, seems like it could be something very cool there; imagine drawing a wall to block a group of enemies with Thaumaturgy or even simply walling some against a cliff then throwing a fire bomb at them. (Fire bombs are very low-tech and were likely available in medieval times, basically a pot with some pitch in it and a rag to burn shoved in the top)

You guys must admit sometimes it's just fun to beat the ever-living crap out of a large swath of enemies (Porky mode for SG? :p) though I do prefer the more personal feel of dueling against enemies of similar power to myself when given the choice, makes combat feel just that much more satisfying knowing you beat something that could easily have killed you itself if you weren't good enough.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.