"Camera locked to character" lifehack, AKA heavy object on spacebar

Gopblin

Subj.

Seriously, it works. I put something heavy(a pack of 15 Mosin rounds, to be precise) on the spacebar, and 90% of my frustration went away. I actually know what my character is doing and where is he facing at all times.

This locks mouse from moving around the screen, but that is even better: now, moving mouse left a certain distance always rotates the character left the same angle (and not whatever the game feels like doing based on the spinning camera viewpoint). Now, I can actually reliably rotate the body with my strikes.

The only time I have to have mouse freemove is outside of combat - then I simply unburden the spacebar.

In short, my results went from being unable to progress past the last enemies on Easy arena to finishing the Expert one in a couple hours after I've done this change.

I'm not saying it's necessarily the most efficient way of playing the game, but I think it is going to be quite helpful for those not used to dealing with camera spinning independently of character in an action game (AKA everyone).

Jetcutter

Supporter
Inventive although, is it not kinda in the way?, I'll try it with a small lead bar tucked away in the garage, just to get the effect. :)

ridikyuhlus

I've taken to calling it the Spacebar Camera Control (SCC). I just started using it today to see if it has any value to my arena game. Its actually pretty handy for a few tricks.

I also have an Expert Arena video with SCC but this is just novice.

Tony

Insider
I've taken to calling it the Spacebar Camera Control (SCC). I just started using it today to see if it has any value to my arena game. Its actually pretty handy for a few tricks.

I also have an Expert Arena video with SCC but this is just novice.
Sorry but I couldn't watch more than ten seconds of the video before it started making me motion sick. Do you easily perform left-to-right attacks while playing like that? To me it seems very restrictive.

Zotis

Well, your video, ridikyuhlus, didn't make me feel dizzy, but it wasn't exactly comfortable to watch. I got slightly flustered by the controls every now and then for the first day or so. I remember pressing space bar quite a bit to keep the camera behind me, but I forced myself to stop doing that because I feel like it is actually better to be flexible enough that I'm comfortable controlling my character no matter what angle the camera is. I still move to the wrong side every once in a while, but honestly I think it's really good the way it is.

Satorii

The first few hours I played the game, I played while holding the Spacebar. Currently, I've gotten pretty used to freebirding it thanks to like a thousand arena matches. Had I come up with your solution earlier, I would've saved myself from having cramped fingers those first few hours, though I probably wouldn't have stopped using it if I did.

There are some flaws about this Spacebar business that I feel I have to mention:

-Sometimes, when using 2-handed weapons with long reach or poorly-balanced weapons, the camera lock doesn't fully catch up with your character and leaves your flanks exposed.

-Quickly rotating to block is also harder (and I'm used to that, I play Mount&Blade) because the camera isn't designed to lock, and there is a slight delay. Because your cursor is tied to that camera now, your reaction time, no matter how quick, is bogged down by the camera. Now, if you use shorter 1h weapons, you'll largely be ok. I've gotten up to the 3rd door doing that.

-Another useful thing that this Spacebar technique discounts is the ability to move objects during combat. With it, I've blocked doorways to prevent more enemies from
flooding in and also tangled a guy up by dropping a stool directly over him Jackie Chan style while combo bashing him at the same time.

-Lastly, if you're backed up against a wall, it's pretty hard to see the action, which means you constantly have to be on the move. And if you get trapped, the camera lock would obstruct your view.

Last edited:

Zotis

I honestly can't even imagine holding down spacebar myself. It seems extremely limited in terms of movement and other things I may want to do with the cursor while in combat, especially outside of the arena. Honestly though I don't really play much Arena, I just keep trying to memorize every square inch of the dungeon and kill every zombie.

Kriget

Supporter
I just press space every so often when I lose grip of my character.

But there must be some kind of software to make the button you pressed to continue being pressed until you press it again. So you don't have to burden that poor space key with objects, I mean.

I just press space every so often when I lose grip of my character.
I feel like this is what's intended by the devs, and the superior way to use the camera.

I've experimented with holding spacebar and honestly the only reason I stopped was because of some opinions I read on here. To be honest, I feel like it does gimp you, you won't be capable of some intense moves if your camera is trailing you all the time, you wont have the proper angles and won't have a quick enough reaction time, especially in moments when the camera is flipping in circles. I hit spacebar anytime my character drastically changes position, which in arena is like, all the time, but still. Even though it may not seem so, you'll eventually become a master of fighting without having to hold spacebar. Since I stopped holding space my skill has improved immensely. You just gotta belieeeve

ridikyuhlus

Tony: LtR Attack is just as easy. This video is for people that want an alternate camera solution. If it makes you motion sick it is not for you, especially if you are already good enough with the current camera.

Zotis: No, it definitely is NOT comfortable to watch lol. Playing like that makes my eyes tired very quickly. Regular Camera and SCC have their uses. If you are good enough with the current camera the only real trick SCC can provide you with is very accurate overheads and a sort of Overhead diagonal slice that habe a chance to break through the opponents guard.

Im making a small video to showcase some more SCC for people who want to use it. If you're going to use SCC I would still practice with Regular Camera Controll, especially for the dungeon, or at least practice your running away skills to set up the SCC lol. If anyone has any questions just let me know, Ill try to put it in the video if I can, will be up later tonight as Im working on a much cooler vid at the moment. :D

Murf

If you're going to use SCC I would still practice with Regular Camera Controll, especially for the dungeon,
This cannot be stressed enough, by holding the spacebar continuously, you are limiting yourself in regards to what you can do in combat. This will become more apparent once Thaumaturgy and thrusting are added as those are going to require even more precision and control and the current camera system allows for such precision.

Nomad

I just tried to have an ink bottle on space and it does makes combat easier to me. I have had problems fighting mostly due to the camera. I often has to disengage, adjust camera and reengage. Sometimes 4-5 times a fight. I have also tried just pressing space very often, but because pressing space dosen't go behind your character, but rather to where the mouse is can get pretty confusing sometimes. And have the camera jump from side to side is not making combat any easier.
I would like to be able to toggle the camera "fixed behind character on/off."

So I pray; put in the options to play the way people want to, so no one is forced to play how others prefer it.

Zotis

I don't like easy routes. To everyone I say: Being forced to use the camera the proper way, in this case, I think is for your own good.

ridikyuhlus

Here is a simple video comparing the two. May need to re-watch multiple times to really be able to compare due to my editing, lol. Hopefully itll help people who need it.

Nomad

I don't get motion sick from playing myself, but it's less nice to watch videos of others playing. But if it's a fixed camera behind the back from the start it will be different. I never felt motion sickness from playing Blade of Darkness or Rune. And BoD is the best melee combat game out there IMO. (But I hope this can match up)

This game has some very serious potential for become the best weapons fighting game. And for someone who is interested in historical fenching it's just what I have always wanted to see in a game.

Elaxter

Insider
ITT: People deluding themselves regarding the camera system.

Having the camera locked behind your back is terrible. Not only is it restrictive, it becomes a strain on the eyes. I'm surprised it actually helps. Then again, you're playing in the arena. The arena fights are far easier than the dungeon fights.

Nomad

ITT: People deluding themselves regarding the camera system.

Having the camera locked behind your back is terrible. Not only is it restrictive, it becomes a strain on the eyes. I'm surprised it actually helps. Then again, you're playing in the arena. The arena fights are far easier than the dungeon fights.
I disagree. But I dont touch the camera much, just space to get behind the character.
The arena fights are far harder than the dungeon fights.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.