Character Animations

Skiesbleed

Supporter
Watching the tech demo for this game, I was very excited. From an engine standpoint, there is a lot of interesting technology to get excited about. I'm also excited about the prospect of physics-based combat, and the variability it can provide.

However, one thing that does throw me off and would break immersion is the character animation. I understand that these animations are being done using simulated muscle contractions, but the movements look awkward and at times laughable due to the rigid animations and overall character flailing.

What does the team envision as an end-goal for these character animations? What steps are they planning on taking to refine these a bit and make them feel tigher?

Madoc

Project Lead
Hi,
We intend to take various steps towards improving the quality of animations and dynamic behaviours. Possibly the most significant factor here is that I myself made the animations while developing the system behind them. Though I'm getting better at it, animation is certainly not one of my strongest skills.

We now have some very user friendly tools for animation design and hiring a professional animator is very high up on our list of priorities. We've already been contacted by animators with impressive resumes that are interested in contributing to our project.

Skiesbleed

Supporter
That's great to hear. That was the only aspect of the engine I found a little underwhelming, so as long as you're making a point to address that and refine it, I'm sure you'll end up with something great.

Robert

Insider
I like the way friction actually plays a part in motion. No more moon walking (though i guess that would be an interesting, if a little odd, character to see dancing around the tavern). I imagine that getting the characters to move like they're human (and not robots) will be tricky, but there has been a lot of work done on that.

Hiya, newish here, and liking how things are looking. I just had an idea to add; I know it's early and stuff, so maybe this is already planned, but I thought it'd be neat to have creatures/enemies continue to interact with you even when you die. Like, say a rogue might search your pockets, or a soldier might drag you away to a ditch. It seems a little odd in games when you lose, and all the NPC's stand around all statuesque.

Valvar

Hiya, newish here, and liking how things are looking. I just had an idea to add; I know it's early and stuff, so maybe this is already planned, but I thought it'd be neat to have creatures/enemies continue to interact with you even when you die. Like, say a rogue might search your pockets, or a soldier might drag you away to a ditch. It seems a little odd in games when you lose, and all the NPC's stand around all statuesque.
Very much agreed. This would also tie well with the hinted possibilities of perma-death (which if the game balance is not too bad I will definitely enable).

Nightrise

Personally, I really like how the animations are physics based - not saying they couldn't use some work, but I think this is definitely the right track.

One idea I had, which I think would be really interesting is if your character combat animations "changed" or "evolved" depending on your skills and abilities. A big part of sword fights, among other forms of combat, is your posture. How cool would it be if at low levels you started out being all clumsy and flailing wildly (not dissimilar to what we see in the skeleton fight), but as your skill increased, your movements became more elegant, natural, and precise?

That would give fights a whole new dimension of realism, and really crystallize your character progression into real actions as opposed to abstract points :).

I can think of all sorts of cool game mechanics for this too, like getting drunk might revert your combat movements to previous combat animations haha.

Any thoughts?

Valvar

Personally, I really like how the animations are physics based - not saying they couldn't use some work, but I think this is definitely the right track.

One idea I had, which I think would be really interesting is if your character combat animations "changed" or "evolved" depending on your skills and abilities. A big part of sword fights, among other forms of combat, is your posture. How cool would it be if at low levels you started out being all clumsy and flailing wildly (not dissimilar to what we see in the skeleton fight), but as your skill increased, your movements became more elegant, natural, and precise?

That would give fights a whole new dimension of realism, and really crystallize your character progression into real actions as opposed to abstract points :).

I can think of all sorts of cool game mechanics for this too, like getting drunk might revert your combat movements to previous combat animations haha.

Any thoughts?
It seems like a lot of work, but if Madoc really made the game from scratch and has the same coding power level as the Overgrowth guy it doesn't seem like too much trouble!

MrIdontKnow

Insider
This was my only downside to this game as well. I love the concept and the way the characters react to being hit, but then at the same time they look drunk. Almost like them toys you get that are weighted at the bottom so they always return to the upright position, them egg shaped toys that are fun for young kids.

But I know this is early, and it looks great, I can't wait to get my hands on it. I've backed you guys £20 on Kickstarter, if you dot reach your goal, are you still going to continue? Cause I'd love to see this game progress to a release. I like the view of the game as well, because its not going to see 50+ players is it going to be filled with characters and monsters? :p

Soren

Insider
I honestly feel the criticism of the animations are way exaggerated. It looks far better (and more realistic) to me than quite many professionally animated games - to the point that I wonder if people are sceptical because they've become so used to how things are typically animated and haven't seen real medieval sword fights?

Nonetheless, a bit more rigidity in the movements likely is in order. It would also help if something was done to make the heads/gaze of the fighting somewhat be fixed upon the opponent. That and the running animation feels floaty/skipping (as if the animation is out of sync with the actual land traversed?).

Orisoll

The running animation is entirely and utterly placeholder, at least that's what I've heard. But I do agree that opponents should look at eachother, currently the characters don't look as engaged in the combat as I would like.
Also, ducking. We need ducking.

dktne

The running animation is entirely and utterly placeholder, at least that's what I've heard. But I do agree that opponents should look at eachother, currently the characters don't look as engaged in the combat as I would like.
Also, ducking. We need ducking.
I would really like this. It could be a stealth modifier.

hredthel

Insider
I would really like this. It could be a stealth modifier.
, or just a physical modifier: no stealth involved with ducking, you are just trying not to get your head cut off!

If the character is parrying and you are controlling the attacking: it would be a boon to have a dodging aspect at your disposal to really balance out playing defensively with playing offensively.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.