Characters physical attributes?

Elsteveo

Hi Guys,

I have read somewhere in a thread that the size and muscularity of a character reflects directly on both the power of their strikes and speed of hand and or foot.

Do you have a preferred size and shape?
Do you build a recruit or character to a particular size to wield 2 handed weapons versus a build who might be a sword and board guy?
Has anyone done any testing on this?

Hi Guys,

I have read somewhere in a thread that the size and muscularity of a character reflects directly on both the power of their strikes and speed of hand and or foot.

Do you have a preferred size and shape?
Do you build a recruit or character to a particular size to wield 2 handed weapons versus a build who might be a sword and board guy?
Has anyone done any testing on this?
It doesn't affect attack strength much.
It does change Balance, Movement, and Recoil(getting parried, striking a block, or just getting pushed aside).

A smaller build is harder to hit, but easy to knock over.
A Muscular build is a bit wider.
A Fat-muscular build is very powerful when it comes to long, two handed weapon swings I'd say.
A Fat build, idk about.

I myself use a build not unlike my profile picture's character. Thin.

Tyon

Somewhat thin, slightly muscular, with slightly above average height is the optimal build for me (Basically the same build as the character from the Exanima trailer). LtR swings always hit people right in the head, regardless of height.

Gozer

Maximum height, slightly less than optimal build. On the thin side.

Athletic but not overly muscular. More NBA power forward than NFL linebacker.

Skinnier people have faster hand speed.
I made a huge barbarian with great looking guns and he would get beat by love taps from skinny chick's and girly-men at pugilism.

SyllaBear

Muscles do nothing confirmed http://www.baremettle.com/forums/index.php?threads/better-handle-and-control.3597/
Hight i think just gives you more reach in your blows but you are like dumber in your movements. Thats why i created the tiniest character (more speed?) with the less muscles posible (i think this one gives you speed) with a mace, he went rampage (as you can see in that thread). I expected more from "atributes", but well.

So thats why i requested better weapon handling with more muscles, thats kinda obvious. I lifted one of those mace, half size. They are big and really hard to handle, a muscular guy would lift it like a normal person would do with a sword...

Not sure if there is a diference between the arena and the training arena. But with my female top hight full muscles i landed full head hits with a mace and my targets didnt even fall (they didnt have helms, to add...).

Last edited:
Clearly, we should believe this guy because he made a thread, that only he posted in showing his feedback of screenshots using a weapon he doesn't even know the name to.

cnileoleman

Insider
They are big and really hard to handle, a muscular guy would lift it like a normal person would do with a sword...
A super buff individual would certainly have an easier time with a sledge hammer, but an end heavy object will never move as fast as or in a manner at all similar to a sword. Let's not get too crazy with physical attributes. :p

I usually go for very short character with the slider near the center of the graph. I find that I can crouch under swings more reliably. Also I don't notice much difference in attack power - It's more evident when you step into each other: the bigger character will push you around a bit more.

Do shorter/smaller characters get knocked over easier? On one hand I would think 'Yes, they weigh less and require less force to be knocked over' but on the other hand I'm wondering about the lower center of gravity making it more likely for the character to save their balance. I would think the most difficult to knock over would be short and big (either fat or muscular)

Something else I wonder about: The physics and animations. How many different types of forces are being applied? Is there 'drag'? Does the square-cube law have any effect in this game? How might all these forces be tweaked over time to give us more realistic physics across different body types.

P.S. Really happy with 6.2.0 - I've been playing Exanima for a while and lurking the forums too. I was so chuffed with improvements in the latest patch that I decided to buy the game on Steam and join actively join the forum. Keep up the great work, BareMettle! Can't wait for more!

Parco

For now muscular physique doesnt affect anything else than mass/weight i believe, if i remember correctly, but it will affect characters strength in SG, or to be more correct the characters strength will affect the character physique. (dont remember if it was planned for Exanima as well)
The tradeoffs for the physiques are:
Small characters got better balance, but low reach and takes small steps, easier to hit low (easier to be hit in the head)
Tall characters got worse balance, but got wide reach and take larger steps, easier to hit high
skinny characters got less weight and easier to toss around, got less area to be hit on (shields protects more for example)
fat characters are harder to topple, but much more area to be hit on (easier to hit around their defenses and shields cover on average less of their body)

in SG it is planned (they think of adding it at least as far as i know) that strength physique will be affected by skill advancement and can end up with a more extreme physique than what you can choose in the editor.

I really like the idea that your physique might change with skill advancements. Your character visibly getting fitter and muscular after running and swinging a heavy weapon over time.

I'm not sure I see any use to being fat. I don't see any way a character would get fatter over time in game since the devs have made it clear that there won't be hunger and hydration so I doubt we'll even have eating and drinking at all (unless you can eat cake for regen / buffs or something?) - Or drink a too many of those healing elixirs (no idea how many calories those jars are packing)

I wouldn't be surprised if the body type selection is removed or more limited in SG - if what you're saying comes true, and character grows in stature while levelling and means more strength or whatever the case, then the only foreseeable reason to take anything other than the most muscular character (height may vary) would be for roleplay purposes and act as a handicap.

So many questions, and so much time! Too much time! Don't get me started on ranged weapons. I'm dying to know how that will turn out.. And Thauma.. And AI and dynamic events.. And I can't even right now..

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.