Chloe's story

Valda

Hello everyone. I have been lurking on the forums for a while now, but this is my first post. It is the copy of journal entries of one of my characters, Chloe. She is still making her way through the dungeons, so I expect she will continue updating it. As soon as I get my hands on more, I will post it here as well. I hope some of you will enjoy this.

Where am I?
I woke up in a dark room on stone floor. I feel very cold. I'm still trying to figure out how I got here, or remember anything at all, really. Someone left a burning torch on the floor next to me. I warmed my hands and I'll try to use it to get a picture of where I am. I will keep this journal to help me gather my thoughts and hopefully piece together what has happened to me.

The only clue I have is a cryptic note I found lying beside me. It doesn't give me much comfort. Truthfully, if I wasn't frightened before, I am after reading this.

This place
I'm wandering the empty halls of what appears to be a keep of some sort. The walls are thick, made of large stone blocks. My torch only lights a small area around me and that makes it difficult to keep a sense of direction. I still feel very uncomfortable being half naked, even though there doesn't seem to be anyone around to see me.

I am back here, in the room I woke up in. It must have been about half an hour since I barricaded the door behind me. I don't hear anything, but there is someone out there. I'm sure I saw a man. I didn't get a good look before I slammed the door and ran, but he didn't look right. I think he didn't go after me. Maybe he is sick? He could have gotten here like me, and he is just confused. I should go back there. But I am very afraid.

A person
I opened the door again. He was still there. My heart was racing but this time, I stood still. I held up my torch and got a closer look at his face. First, I saw his rotting flesh and the vacant look in his eyes. Then the smell of decay hit me. At first I thought this was some form of leprosy, but after observing the man for a while from a distance, I think it may be something else entirely.

I tried talking to him of course, but I was answered only by silence or inarticulate grunts. Though he seems to be completely harmless, I will refrain from physical contact.

Attacked
Now that I have collected myself, I can finally record the events that took place in the last hour. I was attacked by a creature similar to the one I described earlier. I say creature, because by now I am convinced that these things are not human in nature. This one attacked me like a feral beast. It seemed to have enough motor skills to use a crude hand saw for a weapon, but it's movements were clumsy and inaccurate. I made use of my torch and the lid of a barrel I picked up before my second encounter with the docile creature. If I weren't so startled and frightened by the sudden attack, I would have surely been able to incapacitate the attacker in a matter of moments. Even so, I was barely hurt. The few scratches should heal, unless, gods forbid, they get infected.

Considering the state the dead creature was in, I was very reluctant when it came to using it's clothes to cover myself. I do not regret my decision now, for I am fully clothed and relatively warm. One thing that would definitely improve my situation would be some fitting shoes.

Lucky
I've come to address these creatures as "ghouls" in my mind. I can hear several of them move outside of the room I closed myself in. I try to keep away from them and they do not pay me much attention apart from the occasional stare. I have been trying to find anything useful in case of another attack. I even found some pretty sturdy high boots, and fortunately they fit me perfectly.

This place was surely once very active, there are traces of people living and working here. I found a smithy and some warehouses. I am starting to suspect this entire complex is underground, as i have yet to see a single window.

I am hurt
It's not a deep wound, but head injuries tend to bleed a lot. I discovered some sanitary facilities, unfortunately, they were occupied. This one was a very large ghoul and he managed to hit me across the side of my head with a metal bar. I need some rest. Conveniently enough, I find myself in a restroom.

I will need to be constantly on guard for encounters like this.

The north
Both doors that lead to the south are locked, so I am heading north for now. I am glad that I am able to tell cardinal directions, since I found an old, yet functional compass. I am currently writing on a table in a room previously used to grow or study different kinds of plants, as I can tell from a book that I found here, as well as the large number of planting pots around the room.

From time to time I happen upon a chest or a box containing some clothing or other equipment, usually considerably more preserved than what I acquired by stripping my attackers. I am glad to be mostly rid of their stench.

Story of the dead
I have no accurate means of measuring time, but I haven't spent too long in this place and I can already observe it changing me. I am currently sitting in a chair, previously occupied by a dead body that I pushed down to the floor before I stripped it of a waistcoat that I wanted for myself. In its pocket, there was a letter.

I assume the man's name was Mathis. The content of the letter doesn't make much sense yes. I will keep it in hope of learning more information to help me figure all of this out. Mentions of bandits and kidnappings don't leave me at peace.

Mathis's body doesn't show the same signs of decomposition as the ghouls. He has clearly been dead for some time, but I believe he died human, without suffering the same affliction as these soulless creatures.

A key I found on the table gives me hope, as keys do.

Tragic love story
The scene in this room brought tears to my eyes. My vivid imagination can clearly see the young man protecting his beloved to the last breath, fighting off the ghouls and even killing one of them in his final effort. The girl's fate was arguably even more frightening as she starved to death behind locked doors.

My thoughts inevitably slide to picturing my own demise somewhere close, in a room like this one.

The key works
I was able to open both of the locked doors with Mathis's key. One of the doors led me to some sort of a prison area, with cells and cages. It may also have been used to keep animals. I was attacked again by one of the ghouls, but by now I am confident in my ability to defend myself against them. So far I have only had to fight one at a time though, I fear what would happen if more of them decided to attack me at once. I have to avoid such situations.

The other door opened a large area that I will need to explore further, if I hope to find a way out of here.

A real prison
It has been a while since my last entry. If I described the couple cages and cells i encountered before as a prison, the name doesn't do any justice to where I find myself now. Halls full of cells and cages large and numerous enough to hold dozens upon dozens of inmates. According to what i could make out of an old logbook, multiple guards were assigned here.

On a table in a room at the very end of the prison hallway, there was, in addition to some strange equipment, a skull. I can't even imagine the kind of creature that would possess such a piece of anatomy. I surely hope there are no living specimen around.

I feel much more confident now that I have found a sword in one of the cells. I got used to my machete, yet it feels a lot better to finally have a real weapon.

Last edited:

Valda

Mysteries
I keep finding remains of what appears to be the work of a scholar or a researcher. I assume these anonymous notes are all by the same author. I think his work had something to do with the ghouls, but I can't be sure yet. He seems to be interested in the soul as well as the body, most notably the brain.

I also found a jar containing a strange glowing substance. I dare not touch it, but I will keep it, if for no other reason than my own curiosity.

Dark things
I am more afraid of finding more traces of this man who I believe went by the name Thaven than I am of encountering another hostile ghoul. Truly, the things I have seen here make me feel sympathy for the poor beings. And the more I learn, the more grows my fear and hatred of Thaven. In my stronger moments I wish to find him and confront him with these horrors, but most of the time I just hope he is long gone.

Lost
I must have been in this maze for hours. All the corridors look the same. I passed a number of what must have been challenges set up for anyone trying to escape here. Or were they meant for me specifically? I could try to backtrack my steps and find another way, but at this point, it is almost a matter of my personal pride to beat this insane architect at his twisted game.

I wonder if I'm making up invisible adversaries to keep me from going insane. Or is it a symptom of me already passing that threshold?

I win
It took a lot of my skill and resolve, but I prevailed. I have beaten you, whoever you are.

I found some armor that I put on, despite it being quite heavy. No ghoul should be able to cut through this mail, so newly equipped in both body and mind, I will soon set out through the large metal door in front of me.

Hardships
I grow tired of this constant struggle. This underground complex seems to go on forever and the ghouls get more aggressive the further I go. I've suffered countless bruises in the skirmishes, thankfully my armor has kept me from serious harm.

I came across some kind of study with a bedroom next to it, so I took advantage of it and slept for a short while. Upon closer inspection I realized Thaven must have resided here. Did I sleep in his bed? The thought makes me feel uneasy.

There was a useful bit of information on one of the scrolls. It seems the glowing substance I picked up has healing properties. I am tempted to use it and get some relief, but I feel I should keep it in case of a more serious injury.

Adaptation
I am getting the hang of this. I started to play these little games in my head. I try to guess the author of a book or a scroll before I pick them up. I make different gestures and faces at the ghouls and try to tell which ones will attack, which ones just keep staring and which ones walk away. I win in most cases.

It's time to move on. There's another of those metal doors here. Here I go.

A discovery
My sword arm aches as I leave a trail of bodies in my wake. Sometimes I kill one of the apathetic ones just to make sure it doesn't turn on me later.

I sat down in this larder for a while, but then I noticed something strange about one of the shelves. I fiddled with it a little and eventually I was able to move it. Someone has hidden a strange helmet in a chest behind the shelf. It covers my eyes when I wear it, but strangely, when I let go and stop relying on my eyesight, I can see by feeling my surroundings, no matter if there's light or not. This must be an artifact of considerable magical power.

Complacency
I feel much better now that I had applied the full content of the glowing jar on my wounds. This thing truly is miraculous.

I became careless and it nearly cost me my life. I was reading a scroll when all of a sudden a ghoul came up behind me. It was unusually fast and managed to knock me out for a second with a strike to the head. The helmet served me well even outside its magical properties, so I was able to get up, pick up my sword and end the ghoul's miserable existence.

As I learned from the scroll, I had just killed a former proctor. If this is Thaven's work, I have one more reason to hate that despicable murderer.

Bones
When I think there's nothing more to surprise me in this place, there's another shock waiting around the next corner. I wasn't previously sure if the ghouls were truly the walking dead, but after this encounter, I can be.

I went to investigate a sound I haven't heard here before. It wasn't until I saw its source before I realized it was the rattling of bones on the stone floor. A human skeleton, standing and walking around! I made sure I was well hidden and didn't make a noise, but the abomination infallibly turned to me and started running. I quickly hid in a room with sturdy wooden door, but I could still hear it moving outside. Finally, I mustered my courage and swiftly opened the door. It took a lot of broken bones to bring the monster down, as my sword kept bouncing off, but I finally triumphed.

As I write this entry in the relative safety behind closed doors, I can hear the now familiar sound outside again.

Correspondence
There must have been a lot of different activities going on here before. I find lots of letters, both personal and business related. One of the letters had a key next to it, and I was able to use it to open a locked part of the armory. I am convinced that the sword I fund is, like the helmet, magical. I know of no metal that behaves this way when swung. I like it.

I am ready to face any skeleton this place can throw at me.

A blue light
I am standing in front of something resembling a gate. It's built in a dead end, but I'm sure it leads somewhere, because there's magic at work here. A pulsing blue light seems to invite me in. I found no other way out.

I am about to enter.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.