Clarification on game title

Madoc

Project Lead
After reading several comments implying that the title Sui Generis is in reference to the game's uniqueness I thought I would clarify that when we came up with it it was in reference to the player's character rather than the game itself. Part of the theme of the game is supposed to be the mystery behind your unique ability to return to life. Not that this is necessarily much better but at least it's a little less pretentious which was certainly not our intention.

Tony

Insider
After reading several comments implying that the title Sui Generis is in reference to the game's uniqueness I thought I would clarify that when we came up with it it was in reference to the player's character rather than the game itself. Part of the theme of the game is supposed to be the mystery behind your unique ability to return to life. Not that this is necessarily much better but at least it's a little less pretentious which was certainly not our intention.
Well, modesty and humility are said to be good traits... however, I think the entire Bare Mettle team has earned the right to claim that Sui Generis applies to both. In some of the previous announcements you state that you do not like the current trend(s) in RPGs of late. You are attempting to make Sui Generis in a new way that doesn't follow current trends. Despite your original intent I do believe the title is fitting ;)

Fawz

Insider
Thanks for taking the time to make this short post to clarify the nature of the game's title. I was also of the train thought that the game's title was referring to the fact that the philosophy behind the game's development was a focus on being unique and taking a different approach compared to what other games in the genre have done in the past.

Knowing that the reference to uniqueness is about the main character and not the game as a whole is much better though. Feels less presumptuous and adds to the game's mystery. Can't wait to uncover some of the world's secrets! :D

ZaratanCho

Insider
Always thought it was something more, suspected this given some of your posts about the 'resurection' ability being quite an important part/aspect of the "story", mystery... whatever ;D Never assumed anything 100% though so it is nice to know. ;d

Also, given that people know nearly nothing about the story elements and world they will usually connect it to something they know of and it is even easier here given the technical achievements shown and compared to other games i guess. ;d

Tessaya

Insider
I'm not surprised, as for a while I tried to imagine all kinds of reactions NPCs would have when meeting the PC again after he's been killed right in front of them. Funny stuff incoming.

Leo

Insider
I understand the original idea. However the idea that people have of the reason behind the name is always much better, anyways when they read the name it will be easier to associate it with the game if they believe the reason behind the game's name is its uniqueness. In other words the name makes it more unique.

turtleman155

Insider
no they are explaining the meaning of the name which means of its own genus or unique. it is referring to your character who is unique in their ability to respawn :D and the game is unique everyone should be proud of it i am:)

Last edited:

Madoc

Project Lead
From the Oxford dictionary:

Bare: Without addition; basic and simple. (also used as naked, raw)

Mettle: A person’s ability to cope well with difficulties; spirit and resilience.

Common expressions in English are "prove your mettle" and "show your mettle", meaning "demonstrate
your true character" and used synonymously with showing ability to do something.

Ironically bare is also slang for "lots of". We don't use this slang ourselves but appreciated the double meaning.

So, the company name basically means: do your thing, no bullshit.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.