Coffee Diary 15/3/21

Zetheros

Developer
Hey Exanimates,

We've got the markets and market sewers ready for the beta, fixed a bunch of stuff and made various improvements. The markets are really looking fantastic with the new rendering and updated assets. We should be patching this into the beta later today, or tomorrow if we can't quite make it.

Last week we talked about some GPU specific optimisations, and now we've completed our first round of them. They were targeted at lower end systems, but we saw some surprising improvements on the high end too. So far we've focused on the worst case, big open spaces with lots vertical variation and light sources, but we can still do more. You should see improvements mostly in large complex environments for now. Of course this is exactly what the markets is, which is a well known performance killer.

We've started adding some new sound features we've had our eye on for a while. We can now easily control the sound environment, something we'll be doing in more detail in future. We've also added a new layer of sounds for feet impacting different ground, which you'll hear very notably featured in the sewers. We found these features really contribute to immersion and we look forward to doing more with them.

We've also been finalising some lore writing that hadn't make it into the game yet, and you'll see some of it featured in this patch.

With this patch the beta should be pretty solid and complete and there should be no reason not to switch over if you haven't already. There's still a few small things to do, and we think we'll continue to use it to gradually introduce some new features until the full arena and weapon update is ready. We won't have anything really big to work on in future, so we'll try smaller frequent updates on for size.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

faccioone

This is some news I really was longing for, excellent work! I cannot wait to try out the beta and redo story from the very begin, I would start right away but I fear I will miss some of the new lore scrolls this way.. should I wait for patch release or will this new lore content mostly be located in later levels like market?

Last edited:
If you guys are going to be working on smaller more frequent updates does that mean the multiplayer update is a small update that will be coming soon or that it will be much further in the future? I'm not really sure how big of an update something like multiplayer is but its the main thing keeping me from starting up the game lately. Once it drops I will be getting this for my friends and playing it with them, I'm very excited to share this experience with others.

Midcal9

If you guys are going to be working on smaller more frequent updates does that mean the multiplayer update is a small update that will be coming soon or that it will be much further in the future? I'm not really sure how big of an update something like multiplayer is but its the main thing keeping me from starting up the game lately. Once it drops I will be getting this for my friends and playing it with them, I'm very excited to share this experience with others.
I'd say it's a big one and most likely they want to finish the single player first. Get it for them now, or maybe they can't enjoy a good old offline experience?

I'd say it's a big one and most likely they want to finish the single player first. Get it for them now, or maybe they can't enjoy a good old offline experience?
Nah, they wanted to wait until the multiplayer comes out. And I enjoy the game but I also dont have much drive to play it until multiplayer comes out, because I think while its great now, it'll be so much greater with friends

Midcal9

Nah, they wanted to wait until the multiplayer comes out. And I enjoy the game but I also dont have much drive to play it until multiplayer comes out, because I think while its great now, it'll be so much greater with friends
I think it would great to beat your friends in pvp, but co oping in exanima is just lame and immersion breaking, it would make the game stupidly easy for one. I hope they won't introduce it.

I think it would great to beat your friends in pvp, but co oping in exanima is just lame and immersion breaking, it would make the game stupidly easy for one. I hope they won't introduce it.
Its not lame or immersion breaking, its a choice and it wont affect how you play if you decide to continue playing solo. And it'd be up to you whether thats immersion breaking, as far as I know there isn't some specific story element that says you have to be the only one going deeper into the dungeon. Besides, theres that NPC that follows you so who's to say there isnt some other random guy who wants to help out (i.e. your co-op partner)

Plus, they said it will be added to Arena first, which is my main way I want to play multiplayer anyway. That's not to say I dont want to do the story mode with a friend, but the Arena is so much fun just on its own that I totally wont mind doing just that for a while when multiplayer is dropped.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.