Coffee Diary 17/10/22

Zetheros

Developer
Hey Exanimates,

Madoc had a lot going on this week besides work so we're a little behind, but still making progress. The new AI framework is more or less complete now, but we're still going through some improvements and additions from the previous system. We're now essentially describing what new things like force powers are to AI so it can make its own decisions on how to react. Golems have an all new process for their unique behaviour which was previously quite incomplete. We have also discovered and fixed some issues with AI that explain some problems players have reported.

We tried to take a mostly "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach with the AI, a lot of interactions work well as result of carefully tuning how AI responds to little many things and we don't want to break that delicate balance. Due to the nature of the system this isn't always possible, any small change or addition can shift that balance, and we've got some broader changes in reserve. It's quite likely that before the update proper we'll want to do some test builds for this and other general changes to the game. Some of the more focused testing we've done recently was very useful.

We're already well into the force power specific side of this, though not all the powers are implemented yet and there will be differences. This was the main motivation for the changes right now, though we ended up addressing a lot more, present and future. We're also getting the UI art for force thaumaturgy finalised which is looking great.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Lapty

Have no words... have no words........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I stumbled into this game recently and I'm quite impressed with it. I think the idea is very unique and a heck of a lot of fun. You've done some amazing work with Exanima.

I do like these coffee diary posts that give us some insight into the development process. Would you be willing to go in depth about your team's development process?

How large is your development team and is this a full time or part time project for you?

Is there any way I could assist with the project? I've dabbled in game development using Unity and I've done a few game jams but my full time career is web development.

Even if there isn't anything my skillset could assist with I would be interested in showing support for the project through Patreon or something similar if you have it!

Ganthor

I'm just a fan and not associated with Bare Mettle at all, but they get a lot of these questions and don't typically have the time to respond so I'll say what I know from having watched the forums for a couple years now.

Would you be willing to go in depth about your team's development process?
They don't want to give away too much of the secret sauce because it's a passion project being built from the ground up. They are pretty communicative about their roadmap but the most technical details you'll get are here in the coffee diaries and also on the Steam Community page for the beta update info.

How large is your development team?
They are a 4 person team.

Is there any way I could assist with the project?
They have discussed this in the past. This is really first and foremost the passion project of a small team. Expanding the team, even just by a couple people, would involve needing to build entire new workflows and the result would be the devs spending more time on team management and direction and this is something they do not want to do. There are many people offering help and they have yet to take any, so I would say the best way you can assist is by playing and leaving feedback, even more specifically in the Discord. That's probably the most useful any of us can be to the team.

I would be interested in showing support for the project through Patreon or something similar if you have it!
No Bare Mettle Patreon to speak of. The game was kickstarted so (I assume, again I'm not with BM, I'm just a fan) the funding is pretty well taken care of. I think the best you can do for the team is just to buy the game and be a fan and tell your friends about it. I think they want to avoid having fans send them tons of money in hopes that the game will be developed faster, because a larger budget would probably not result in a faster development cycle for this project in particular. The forums are already flooded with dbags complaining about how they paid [$15] for the game 8 years ago and it's still not done, and I think maybe part of not taking donations is avoiding more people coming in and saying "hey wait a minute I gave you 100 bucks 3 years ago wtf I expected this to be DONE done by now"

Hey Ganthor! Thank you so much for your reply. That answers a lot of my questions. I really appreciate that. I respect the process so I have no interest in paying to expedite the process, I just wanted to help support. I'll do what I can though!

They have discussed this in the past. This is really first and foremost the passion project of a small team. Expanding the team, even just by a couple people, would involve needing to build entire new workflows and the result would be the devs spending more time on team management and direction and this is something they do not want to do. There are many people offering help and they have yet to take any, so I would say the best way you can assist is by playing and leaving feedback, even more specifically in the Discord. That's probably the most useful any of us can be to the team.
Where can I get a link to the Discord? I've been keeping an eye out for so long...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.