Coffee Diary 24/1/22

Zetheros

Developer
Hey Exanimates,

Our big engine cleanup is finally complete. Every little thing is running on new, very streamlined and unified systems. We've added new compatibility and performance options and stripped out a lot of stuff that was no longer needed. The latest and biggest change was updating the terrain system procedural generation, this is now also faster allowing for smoother terrain streaming and has some good detail and colour precision improvements. We're trying to get a new version out on the beta branch later today with these changes as well various gameplay and QoL improvements we've been making over the past couple of weeks.

With all this out of the way we'll be focusing entirely on combat improvements and the dye system, which will roll out in an update with some nice new items and arenas. We've already made some improvements to weapon mechanics and combat. One of these changes is a new overhead targeting system that works similarly to thrusts. When aiming an overhead the targeting plane is softly adjusted to the point on the target closest to your cursor, which makes the controls functionally the same but much more intuitive. Previously you had to aim on an imaginary plane fixed at waist height, so there was quite a lot of guesswork involved when trying to target at head or ground level.

Other changes to combat are the first of several aimed at making the combat feel more consistent and realistic. We are improving weapon mechanics and behaviour and we're removing or adjusting some of the more artificial mechanics. Some inconsistencies between real weapon mass and mass in the wielder's hands were fixed and centres of percussion are much more accurate. We've also made it so that when parts of the weapon below the hilt or grip hit a target or are "parried" this no longer counts as a strike, removing the unexpected and sometimes frustrating cancelling this could cause.

There's a lot more small but important changes to combat, as well as some fairly big ones we're working on. We will probably release these as we make them to get some feedback as early as possible.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Slinkadink

So just to confirm that I'm reading this correctly, you are making it so that damage will actually carry through when the lower part of the weapon is blocked, but the upper part still hits the target? If so, that is wonderful, and will make the game a whole lot more satisfying.
Best wishes and godspeed with development

P.S. I just remembered that I never congratulated your team on the music added in the previous patches. The tracks are absolutely amazing, and also fit the theme of the game perfectly. Sometimes I just listen to the arena tavern music for a while before a fight to get in the mood, really good stuff.

Last edited:
There's this problem when trying to crouch. When you hold a crouch your character just can't crouch without leaning too far to his ass end and falling over I tested it with and without armor and with and without a weapon the dude just likes to lay down when you try to stick a crouch in for more than 7 seconds or so.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.