Coffee Diary 5/4/21

Zetheros

Developer
Hey Exanimates,

We're ready to start introducing our first procedural weapons, which should happen in a beta branch patch later today.

What this means is that where you would previously find the same exact sword again and again, whether in a chest, in the environment or wielded by a character, in the arena shop etc. you might now find a procedurally generated unique sword. These also vary in general quality and condition, and their condition can be improved with the new mechanics like armour. It's still a work in progress, but the specific features and shape of a weapon can have a significant impact on its performance.

The weapons still belong to very specific categories, and we are not replacing the more unique and themed weapons with procedural ones. In time we will also be making these procedural, but with only small randomisation parameters and the dynamic condition features.

A big part of this weapon update is also just improving the quality of weapon assets. The new weapons feature more realistic designs and properly take advantage of the new renderer. We are also working to introduce new gameplay feature and better damage mechanics.

We've also been busy fixing lots of things this week, including some old bugs and making various improvements, which should make this next beta patch a very polished release. Show us your new procedural weapons and let us know what you think. There's hundreds of thousands of possible variants of the same weapon, so lots of possibilities.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Last edited:

Kedino

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to do so, or even if the devs will ever see this message, but I would have a recommendation. I'm a new player (bought the game less than a week ago) and even though I'm already in love with this amazing game, there's one little thing that I feel that could make life way easier for new players like me. That would be the option to "lock" the camera behind our character during combat. For me, and probably many others, the hardest part in the learning process is having to mentally revert the control when you are facing the camera or having to constantly correct the camera in order to have it behind you. I really think that this simple option (that should obviously only be optional) would make the game way more accessible by softening the learning curve a lot. Anyway, that's just my opinion, and beyond this single "issue", the game is simply amazing. Thank you all for your great work, and I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to do so, or even if the devs will ever see this message, but I would have a recommendation. I'm a new player (bought the game less than a week ago) and even though I'm already in love with this amazing game, there's one little thing that I feel that could make life way easier for new players like me. That would be the option to "lock" the camera behind our character during combat. For me, and probably many others, the hardest part in the learning process is having to mentally revert the control when you are facing the camera or having to constantly correct the camera in order to have it behind you. I really think that this simple option (that should obviously only be optional) would make the game way more accessible by softening the learning curve a lot. Anyway, that's just my opinion, and beyond this single "issue", the game is simply amazing. Thank you all for your great work, and I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!
IIRC they didn't add that option because they felt it would end up acting as a clutch for players, as the way movement is set up is with the idea of an unlocked camera.

Having said that I don't particularly mins either way, seeing as I didn't have any particular problem learning the system as it is.

Ethorisgod

Will the items degrade in quality if you aren't careful with them? I don't recommend it, I'm just curious (not that there is going to be proper qualities.)

Personally, I just set one of the camera controls, I think its "Cursor Look" or something, to spacebar, and during combat if I need to snap the camera behind my character I can just tap space to do so. Works pretty well.

Cardiv

Will the items degrade in quality if you aren't careful with them? I don't recommend it, I'm just curious (not that there is going to be proper qualities.)
Well we do have a degradation mechanic with the Bone Sword but I doubt things will break down so quickly

Midcal9

Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying that I was completely wrong, I am very sorry. All of my fears were completely unfounded, Bare Mettle team has once again risen to their colossal task and provided us with amazing quality and attention to the detail!

Almost all of the procedural weapons I have come across so far were both correct in their overall construction and shape to their historical counterparts and at the very same time had a very subtle fantasy theme which made them even more visually appealing.

Thank you very much guys and please forgive me for my persistent critique from earlier!

I'll post a few screenshots of some beauties I've come across:

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying that I was completely wrong, I am very sorry. All of my fears were completely unfounded, Bare Mettle team has once again risen to their colossal task and provided us with amazing quality and attention to the detail!

Almost all of the procedural weapons I have come across so far were both correct in their overall construction and shape to their historical counterparts and at the very same time had a very subtle fantasy theme which made them even more visually appealing.

Thank you very much guys and please forgive me for my persistent critique from earlier!

I'll post a few screenshots of some beauties I've come across:

nerd probs

ratpizza

Some nice shortswords from the arena-merchant:exanima.exe Screenshot 2021.04.09 - 16.02.40.59.jpg
I really like what I have seen so far, the new proc-weapons look both varied and detailed and it is quite easy to judge overall quality just by look. The only thing which seems a little off to me is that those swords are all priced the same even though they vary greatly in quality.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.