Colour and the World

Good tools make a huge difference, no doubt, but it still seems like a tall order. Especially building content after you built the world. And then testing it all. Of course I'll take it as large as you can make it, but I'll just say that I'd be perfectly happy with a smaller environment, if that's the price for having content that is interesting and dynamic.

Rob

Good tools make a huge difference, no doubt, but it still seems like a tall order. Especially building content after you built the world. And then testing it all.
At least the alpha testers can help with the testing bit, somewhat.

Of course I'll take it as large as you can make it, but I'll just say that I'd be perfectly happy with a smaller environment, if that's the price for having content that is interesting and dynamic.
I think that everyone feels that way... importantly, that includes the Bare Mettle developers!!!

Madoc

Project Lead
This is definitely something we want to approach by degrees which is why we're not sticking with a fixed world map yet. We can easily develop our world in pieces and stitch it up as we see fit. This is more likely to be a gradual process than something fully planned ahead.

Very importantly we are also hoping to recruit some new members into the team and we've been receiving a lot of offers from talented people who would like to contribute. We want to stick to a small productive team with a unified vision but there's room to grow a little.

BrecMadak

Insider
Colour Palette generally has a big influence on the world that set. A very similiar example would go for Dark Souls which i see some common grounds. It greatly effects the atmosphere, the mood and forth..

I hate overdone colours whether have they been implemented well, varied or not, though this is not the case with Sui Generis, since devs' stance seems like siding the desperate atmosphere and not cakes and ale kind - happy going, fortunately.

Nothing wrong using variable tones as long as it would fit within cruel, brooding dark, lonely and expedient world i'd say.

In short, devs definitly know what they are on !

Tony Dye

Insider
I for one am very much looking forward to creating exactly that density of content. I love the experience of being pulled from thing to thing to thing until merely finding a way to get back to town and replenish your supplies is a quest in itself. Finding half a dozen new areas on your map as you walk to the new town, discovering new quests in the treasure from ones you just completed, conversations naturally leading you into doing tasks that turn out to have far more scope than you expected...

Content density and intertwining plot threads are my stock in trade. I might even convince the rest of the team to let me try my hand in the toolset... traditionally I've been chased away from these things with a dire warning to stick to writing, and dare not to touch the terrain editor. :)

We shall see!

Is there any videos etc. of your previous work, Tony? Anyway it is good to know there is someone on the team that has content first and foremost on his mind.

Tony Dye

Insider
A large volume of the writing I've done in the past has been for the NWN persistent world called Avlis. I'm not sure how much of that work is still available on their public forums - large amounts were done on the Team side of the aisle and aren't publicly accessible, or occurred while I was in the live game, where records lack lots of the context needed to follow them. Still more is only conversation trees formatted for the toolset's text parser.

A fair bit is out there though, and that community is still pretty friendly even though I mostly don't run in those circles anymore.

MNONE

Supporter
Thanks for that Madoc and the team. It's good to hear how life can be leant to the world. I think colour and aesthetics can be used to create distinctions/juxtapositions (although with some sense of awareness - for example if you look at that picture RichardTito posted as a "how not to do it" example, you wonder if whoever made that mod had ever walked through a forest before). There's still room for colours and distinctly man-made forms (although those latter tend to take care of themselves when you're designing a coaching inn or city), but I agree it needs to be done right.
On that score, you can refer to the 'There Will Be Blood' video: the addition of fire to an otherwise grey area, coupled with only one or two other light sources, leant the scene a more stygian feel, appropriate to battling an ogre in a catacomb. In a tavern with more wooden construction, better lighting and a few warm tones on people's clothing, that same effect would help create a sense of relative comfort and security.
Especially if you've just stumbled in from outside, having spent half the night running from hostile creatures...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.