Combat System: Defence while knocked over?

Halvidore

Insider
From what I've read and researched there hasn't been a thread like this one but correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen how realistic the combat system is going to be and know how much potential it has, I was just wondering if this feature has the potential to be added to the combat system in the future or if it's been throught about already.

The reason for this is simple. While in combat there is a chance that the player will be knocked to the ground by the enermy leaving him/her defenceless, that is from the footage I've seen. Also from what I've seen the enermy can pretty much whale down on the player from above and potentially kill the player in the process.

All I want to know is; In the future for the combat system, is there going to be a way that the player will be able to defend themselves on the ground while getting back on their feet?

Parco

i hope blocking while on the ground will be added, but then every hit should slow him down from getting back up. so i also hope they add a roll sideways to avoid blows and to get faster back back up. In real fights when you get grounded you'll end up at a big disadvantage and end up having to take/block all the hits from the opponent. as you already mentioned, in the videos when fighting the giant he get knocked down and when tries to get up it was easy to swing in the finishing blow, but i noticed he might have avoided that blow by simply staying on the ground and then get up, so what about adding more controls when on the ground?

Halvidore

Insider
"so i also hope they add a roll sideways to avoid blows and to get faster back back up. so what about adding more controls when on the ground?"
I was thinking being able to parry with a weapon or block with a shield. The rolling idea was at the back of my mind though now you mention it aswell I think that could work quite well. However sticking to the physics and realisum if the player is in heavy armor, say full-plate for example rolling would be quite diffcult. It wouldn't be a problem if the player was in lighter clothing such as leather armor or say chainmail perhaps.

I'm pretty sure one of the features that was mentioned in the kickstarter pitch video was heavier equipment will make the player slower then if the character was in lighter armor. I guess depending on the armor that is equipped the character will act differently e.g. Heavy armor will parry and block while lighter armor will roll out of the way from the attacks (that is while on the ground).

One other thing I could add would be possibly a knock back attack while on the ground. Say, a kick to get the enermy far enough away from the player to be able to get up without any problem.

antihero

Not a good idea imo. The way I see it is that being knocked down in combat is basically punishment for not paying attention to what your opponent is doing. It would make fights way too easy. Remember this is an RPG not something like Tomb Raider (2013 reboot).

Halvidore

Insider
Not a good idea imo. The way I see it is that being knocked down in combat is basically punishment for not paying attention to what your opponent is doing. It would make fights way too easy. Remember this is an RPG not something like Tomb Raider (2013 reboot).
I do get your point about the punishment of not paying attention for being a "lousy" player and making it easier for them if that's what you're saying.

Though that isn't why I'm suggesting this mechanic. This game is build around physics and realism to a pretty high extent. So looking at it in that way any person fighting would be capable in proforming these feats. No matter how skilled or un-skilled you are for being in that situation in the first place.

Example:

Getting beat up by another person kicking or punching at you while on the ground. You'd try to defend yourself. It would just be like a reflex.

It's in that same example that you'd try to do the same if someone came at you with a sword or another kind of weapon as in the game, even if you aren't on the ground. You'd do anything to defend yourself.

Mellow

Insider
The game, however realistic, can never truly simulate the danger you would be in if you were to be smacked to the ground by your opponent in real life, but were it the case, you would already have lost then and there. Rolling would simply prove to much of a risk, i.e taking your eyes off of your opponent, having your back turned during the roll (even for just a second) and having your shield (or your weapon) "up" would simply delay the inevitable while the other guy(s) just whales on you. As Antihero mentioned, you are actually being "punished" in a way for not being a capable fighter, as you've been knocked down in the first place. Thats not really the point of the fight, and should be a strong indication that you need to improve :p But in all respects it would be a nice mechanic survival wise (knockback kick was a sweet idea) but it would need some work over as to not be exploited, like spamming of the knockback kick, possible damage of said kick, stamina usage on the roll etc. But this is all just my humble opinion ^_^ It think it was mentioned somwhere that there probably would be some sort of combat roll, though im having a hard time figuring out where it was '-.-

Halvidore

Insider
The game, however realistic, can never truly simulate the danger you would be in if you were to be smacked to the ground by your opponent in real life, but were it the case, you would already have lost then and there. Rolling would simply prove to much of a risk, i.e taking your eyes off of your opponent, having your back turned during the roll (even for just a second) and having your shield (or your weapon) "up" would simply delay the inevitable while the other guy(s) just whales on you. As Antihero mentioned, you are actually being "punished" in a way for not being a capable fighter, as you've been knocked down in the first place. Thats not really the point of the fight, and should be a strong indication that you need to improve :p But in all respects it would be a nice mechanic survival wise (knockback kick was a sweet idea) but it would need some work over as to not be exploited, like spamming of the knockback kick, possible damage of said kick, stamina usage on the roll etc. But this is all just my humble opinion ^_^ It think it was mentioned somwhere that there probably would be some sort of combat roll, though im having a hard time figuring out where it was '-.-
True, it wouldn't ever be able to be that realistic, nor do I think the developers want it to be. I guess what I said to antihero was a little much in that regard. :oops: In this stage of the game however I don't think even the developers thought getting knocked to the ground would be a "punishment". The physics engine behind getting knocked to the ground is based on how hard the swing is. So even if you block the strike e.g. from an ogre or a two handard weapon say, the player will still fall to the ground like in the kickstarter videos. I don't even think a perfect player will be able to stop it from happening.

Adding some type of stamina limit gauge for this would be good. I definitely wouldn't want people to spam this. I wonder how it could be implemented. :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.