Controls: The divide between left and right side of the character

Satorii

Hey guys. I've been having trouble initiating a left>right swing attack consistently when I use 1h weapons and 50% of the time my character does a right>left swing instead, which ends up with me having an axe stuck to my side. What I mean is, I am able to perform right>left swings consecutively without fail, but even trying a left>right swing has a 50% chance of success. Often, when I click in the exact same area (or even farther to the left) of where I was able to successfully perform a left>right swing, the second attack puzzlingly becomes a right>left swing. Weirdly, when using 2h weapons and clicking in the same areas, this doesn't really happen. Perhaps it's because of the differences in stance.

Up until recently I've avoided using a left>right swing as an opener in combat just so I can keep playing and not die. Revisiting it though, I've noticed that it may be that I don't know where the actual border between the left and right area of my character is.

This is where I think my left side is:

leftswing.jpg

Reexamining it, this may be where it actually is:

leftswing2.jpg

Now my trouble is, when I put my cursor to the left area of my new perceived divide, he does a turn and exposes his right flank. I've been experimenting and I've found that placing the cursor in that area always gives me a successful left>right swing. Trying to figure out where that area is when the character is facing you at different angles, however, is a little difficult. Has anyone else encountered this with 1h weapons, or is this problem just because of my own inadequacy?

Last edited:
Try keeping your cursor further away from the player. If it's too close, you change angle way too severely and this might explain opening your flank so often. The motion should be quick, you are only clicking beyond that divide, and then quickly bringing the cursor back to a position you are comfortable with. Hope this helps!
Also, I hope my response isn't so myopic cause I'm relying on only this pic to judge the distance of your cursor.

Edit: Damn wouldn't a blue cursor look nice ;)

Don Kanaille

Insider
I admit, I spent a lot of time with the game, played through multiple times, and still have trouble pulling off LtR swings during a fight; especially without accidently turning myself, often lunging next to the enemy facing him with my unprotected side. I tried training this move specifically but it screws with my fighting rhythm way too often. I usually need to take my eyes off my enemy to see where my curser goes which leads to me missing a critical attack of him. I simply feel like that move isn´t worth the trouble - which is a real shame, for I know which uses this swing would have if I was able to pull it off more naturally.

Maybe I just play with left side suck, but I would really support some fine tuning/increasing of the LtR activation area.

Satorii

Try keeping your cursor further away from the player. If it's too close, you change angle way too severely and this might explain opening your flank so often. The motion should be quick, you are only clicking beyond that divide, and then quickly bringing the cursor back to a position you are comfortable with. Hope this helps!
Yes, I think you're right. I've tested it again and it seems like quickly clicking to the left with your cursor then very quickly bringing it back to the front does the trick. Lingering on that left side would cause the character to turn and also move that border further to the left, eclipsing your cursor with the right side borderline. That said, there isn't a hurdle like that you have to cross to perform a right>left swing. You can pretty much click anywhere but the most extreme left side and do it.

Thanks for your tip!

It needs to be exaggerated to perform either left or right swing, doesn't matter which. If they were both too easy to perform (ie a 50/50 split) you'd run the risk of having an inconsistent scheme. A simple twitch might cause a left to right when you really wanted a right to left. Does that make sense?

Don Kanaille

Insider
I´m okay with RtL being basically the "default" swing which doesn´t need much movement; especially if you keep the curser on your enemy a true 50/50 split could quickly lead to randomizing which swing you actually do. However I think the current exeggeration is too much. The first picture Satorii posted is closer to what I would suggest than the second.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.