Crafting Suggestion

I'm not sure if this exact idea has been crafted (Hurr hurr) before or not, but I had a idea that sort of goes along with the idea of 'modular' equipment and constant practice to learn and maintain a skill.

Armorsmithing:
You are fresh out of the starter dungeon/sewer, and come across a smith. He offers to let you work for him in exchange for free use of his forge and tools. You have some minor smithing knowledge from an apprenticeship a long time ago. (I don't know if your character even has a childhood or anything like this yet, so bear with me here). After a day of work, you spend your wages on some things.

A cloth shirt, and some metal bars.

The shirt will be the base of the torso armor you are creating, which you will attach the protective plates to.

After hammering the metal bars into something vaguely resembling a plate, you strap it onto the shirt wherever you see fit.

Lets say you had enough metal to forge a medium sized plate, and two smaller plates.

You use some straps laying around the forge to attach the medium plate to the right shoulder of the shirt, and you attach a small plate to the right wrist and left wrist.

Voila, you made a shirt that can protect your arms in combat.

As you adventure through a near area with your new armor, you take an arrow to the shoulder, but it's deflected by the metal plate you attached. A few sword swings are also stopped by the plates on your wrists. Then you take a crossbow bolt to the chest, and end up having to retreat to town. You sell off, (Or perhaps even melt down and repurpose?) Some of the spoils from a few goblins you took out, and forge a plate to put on the front of your shirt, to protect yourself from attacks from the front. You also attach two plates to the knees of your pants...

Okay, the point is made by now.

The idea here is to encourage the constant improvement of your gear as you grow into a more skilled warrior.

TL;DR

Armorsmithing skills allow you to attach metal plates to normally unprotective pieces of clothing to make armor. Add pieces as you find them, or replace your ghetto-rigged newbie armor entirely.

NOW, Weaponsmithing:

You managed to get your hands on a few iron ingots and a sheet of low quality leather.
Using the forge you created your armor at, you begin making a hilt/handle to be the basis of your new weapon.

"What should I make the handle of my new mace out of?' you say to yourself.
You buy a shaft of the stoutest soft/green and slightly rotten wood you can afford.
"Okay, this is a start. Let's wrap something around the handle to help my grip."
You have that leather, so you cut it up and wrap the strips around the handle base.
"Does a mace really need a crossguard? May as well, might come in handy."
Iron ingots turning into iffy-quality crossguard.
"Could be better, but it's better than nothing, I guess. What about the shaft?"
Might as well continue the tradition of cheap wood parts.
"That stick over there looks study enough I guess. What should the head of my mace look like now?"
Ball, Spiked Ball, or Studded Ball?
"Studded Ball should be a nice weight to damage balance."

So, you made a mace with a rotten wood handle and shaft, a shoddy crossguard, and a studded head.

The only really tough to break part on here is the head, and the leather grip is liable to slide off and cause you to throw your mace at someone mid-swing.
Hey, atleast the replacement parts can't be much worse than the originals.

TL;DR Same as armorsmithing, just with weapons, pretty much.

This is an idea I've had at the back of my head for a long time, and this game seems like the best candidate for my idea to come through in some form. I may have borrowed some inspiration from things other people have said at various points in this forum, so, kudos to those people.

EDIT: Also, any idiot can tie metal plates to a shirt and call it armor, but a true set of high quality steel plate mail should take a large amount of time in-game to accomplish, as it is a very lengthy process.

Same goes for weapon making. Anyone can tape a rock on a stick and call it a hammer, but a Steel blade with the perfect balance of hardness and flexibility takes days of forging, polishing, hammering, etc.

"What should I make the handle of my new mace out of?' you say to yourself.
You buy a shaft of the stoutest soft/green and slightly rotten wood you can afford.
Also of interest is the possibility of gathering raw materials yourself. Why buy a rotten stick from a merchant with outrageous prices when you can use a stout oak branch from a tree in the nearby copse? This could be implemented really well, if it was desired. For instance, yew is noted for its usefulness as a wood for bows.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.