Creatures and Races

Baka-sama

I decided to create this thread so people could post their ideas for everything from playable races, to perhaps a small animal that you could hunt. Don't be bound by what's In our world and other fantasy worlds, be creative, but try not to make anything too unreasonable or illogical. Think outside the box, but keep your eye on it.

-Tim-

Insider
I'd propose a cave, forest or even sky dwelling species with a (relative to humans) overdeveloped cerebral cortex, contrasted with an underdeveloped physique or even sympathetic nervous system. This would make encounters with these creatures both potentially mindblowing as well as endearing because of their fragility. So many unexplored possibilities here.

Baka-sama

I'd propose a cave, forest or even sky dwelling species with a (relative to humans) overdeveloped cerebral cortex, contrasted with an underdeveloped physique or even sympathetic nervous system. This would make encounters with these creatures both potentially mindblowing as well as endearing because of their fragility. So many unexplored possibilities here.
There could be a quest for them, maybe they could have horns or some other feature to them that would make hunters go after them, trying to make a profit. The quest could have you help them, driving off the hunters, or you could join the hunters in the hunt and make a tidy profit, or just take a bribe from the hunters to ignore them.

NachoDawg

I think a large beast to hunt would be neat.

I don't know exactly what it would look like, but something that fits the characteristics of an illusive dragon, but so low-fantasy that it doesn't have to be a dragon.

Anyway, the point is that this is an open world game, and this big creature acts like a treasure hunt side quest in itself. It is so difficult to kill that the best you can hope for is to make it bleed and then let it escape/escape yourself for your own safety, then track it to a new random location and keep it up until you kill it for a trophy or a cool drop or whatever. For the favor of a king that swore death upon the thing that killed his princess blabla.

When it escapes and travels the map, it'll leave distinct blood marks on the ground that you can discover and use some real life deduction skills to figure out where it traveled. Or maybe you can talk to locals to see if they saw anything weird around their village. Missing sheep and so forth.

This ordeal is more of a game mechanic to inspire a player driven immersion to the story ("i want to kill that thing!") and to make you travel around the map and explore, but further more as a lore thing, I'd imagine that if we as humans IRL can come up with Sasquatch and the Loch Ness monster, then the fantasy world citizens should have come up with some even crazier ideas. And one of these crazy legends could actually be true, in contrast to the real world where none of them are.

-----

edit: I know i didnt say much on what this species looks like. That's because I'm not sure if there's any point in thinking there's going to be a whole new race in the game. A near extinct mythical race wouldn't be hard to incorporate last minute, and the devs are probably better themselves and thinking up some cool original fantasy creature

Last edited:

Baka-sama

I'm thinking of a nice mountain dwelling predator, four-legged, basic body structure and behaviour like a wolf, but much more savage and with rock like skin. They could curl up beside mountain paths, waiting for travelers, several jumping out at once to ambush the player, or an unsuspecting npc :) Slashing weapons would be ineffective against them, due to their tough skin, so carrying a mace or maul would be advised for traveling through rocky areas.

OddSpierce

I think that's a wolf version of a Geodude, just use Water Gun!

I'd like to see an enemy that was originally human, but was overwhelmed in their quest for thaumaturgy power and became some sort of conduit for sentient thaumaturgic constructs. Their skin could be peeled away in areas, revealing the pulsing energy underneath.

Edit: Fixed mah typos

Last edited:

Paul Feeney

Insider
Would love to play as a barbaric lizard-man in some form. Lizard people are always awesome, same with snake people.

Reactions: Guy
Would love to play as a barbaric lizard-man in some form. Lizard people are always awesome, same with snake people.
Have you played cubeworld? You can play as Undead, Lizard people, Frog people, Orcs, and more. Unfortunately the alpha hasn't been updated in ~2 years (officially july 2nd, which is my birthday).
I love the game so so so so much but again, no updates :c

Baka-sama

I think a false human playable race would be cool. What I mean by false human is a human created with thaumaturgy as a human experiment. They could have a greater affinity for thaumaturgy than regular people, but they would be shunned and ostracized by regular people, some npc's refusing to deal with you. I'm thinking their distinguishing feature could be bright blue eyes, reminiscent of the healing substance found in the underworld. That also leaves the possibility of regenerative powers, instead of increased thaumaturgy powers.

i think that something akin to an elemental or something would be cool, strong as hell if close to something in their element, but weak if away from their element for too long, and has to consume certain thing instead of food (steel/rock items for earth elementals, fire/combustibles for fire elementals, liquids/water for water elementals, something windy for wind elementals?) also a race that evolves or mutates as you play based upon the things you use, eat, kill, cast (although a magical corruption system would be cool too, like if you use an entire fuck-ton of magic there's a good chance you'll get some sort of magical corruption, that can be either good or bad, depending on RNGesus)

i think that something akin to an elemental or something would be cool, strong as hell if close to something in their element, but weak if away from their element for too long, and has to consume certain thing instead of food (steel/rock items for earth elementals, fire/combustibles for fire elementals, liquids/water for water elementals, something windy for wind elementals?) also a race that evolves or mutates as you play based upon the things you use, eat, kill, cast (although a magical corruption system would be cool too, like if you use an entire fuck-ton of magic there's a good chance you'll get some sort of magical corruption, that can be either good or bad, depending on RNGesus)
I'd recommend reading through this if you want to know about magic Thaumaturgy

NachoDawg

@Nomnomnommer Just for clarification, we are only going to play as a human, and "other races" are npc creatures we run into through out the game. Like cave monsters, trolls and demons

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.