[Cross]bows

In a game, however, I doubt the developers want (cross)bows to be the be-all-end-all of combat, especially when the melee system is really well made. I suppose they'll just make them take a long time to reload and never kill a healthy person in a single shot, or at least not kill them immediately.
I guess it'll be mostly one or two shot and when the enemy is in melee range you'll be forced to switch to your melee weapon. Unless the one you're shooting at uses range as well.

Zoltan

Supporter
Ha that subject again, well I will not delve.

I think bows have no places here besides testing and refining the mechanic for SG, too cramped.

A Crossbow with a long reload time and limited bolts could bring some interesting moments.

I feel throwing weapons would be the best use of ranged combat mechanic, daggers, axes, javelin, spears and so on.

PS: Syllabear3, are you naturally acting this obnoxious or is it only in forums ?

Pc Genie

I think bows have no places here besides testing and refining the mechanic for SG, too cramped.
A Crossbow with a long reload time and limited bolts could bring some interesting moments.
I feel throwing weapons would be the best use of ranged combat mechanic, daggers, axes, javelin, spears and so on.
I agree that quickly throwing spare items or dedicated throwing items like proper javelins would be the easiest for Exanima, but if slow-loading crossbows can work, then bows are good to go as well, even if you can pre-load crossbows.

Out of interest, what would people think about a hand-cannon ca 1300s if it got introduced? They're realistically Medieval and are weak enough that plate, brigandine and lamellar would definitely stop it. Additionally it could act as a non-archer's weapon as the bows, crossbows and throwing weapons need proper training to be effective.

Homiccus

Out of interest, what would people think about a hand-cannon ca 1300s if it got introduced? They're realistically Medieval and are weak enough that plate, brigandine and lamellar would definitely stop it. Additionally it could act as a non-archer's weapon as the bows, crossbows and throwing weapons need proper training to be effective.
I respectfully disagree. Well, partially. Bows do indeed require lengthy specialized training (specific strength requirements, targetting skills, distance calculation etc., all done on the fly when drawing the bow). Crossbows are pre-loaded (as used) sometimes utilizing a range of tools such as cocking levers or 'winches'. This contributes to aiming times being more relaxed and the aiming itself is augumented by existence of the stock, both of which allow the weapon to be used by soldiers with just basic training and no specific muscle-building regime.
Now, the firearms. These do have just about the same advantages as the crossbow (relaxed, augumented aiming and pre-stored energy), with one major difference: the user needs to have more training in both loading (which is more complicated than crossbow, and by an order of magnitude) and setting off the charge (we are after all talking guns before all that modern flintlock or wheellock malarky) as they'd literally play with fire and could do more damage to themselves than to the enemy if they handled the weapon improperly. It's not just 'point and squeeze' of the crossbow either, due to high-maintenance matchlocks and considerable (when compared to crossbow triggering mechanism) delay between the user's decision to fire, mechanical action of firing ('squeezing the trigger) and the projectile actually leaving the weapon. Guns are also much more prone to misfire...

Nevertheless, I do think an arquebus or somesuch would be a great addition to Exanima's / Sui Generis armoury, even as an impractical novelty. :)

NB: I admit I know less than nothing about thrown weapons but I do imagine the training would need to be as extensive as with the bow & arrow. These do, after all, rely on individual strength as well as skill (a knife needs to hit the target with the pointy end I'd imagine).

Zoltan

Supporter
I agree that quickly throwing spare items or dedicated throwing items like proper javelins would be the easiest for Exanima, but if slow-loading crossbows can work, then bows are good to go as well, even if you can pre-load crossbows.

I don't have much interests in early firearms like that, the same goes for seeing them in Exanima, at the exception maybe that it could be fun to have a surprising encounter equipped with one, that end up blowing himself at some point :D

Then I would prefer a lot that they work on fire physics and allow burning clothes & furnitures.

Talking about fire and gunpowder, I wonder if the developers are thinking about adding medieval hand grenades, the one used in the Byzantine Empire filled with Greek fire or the Chinese with gunpowder.

Assuming that Thaumaturgy do not have any offensive 'spells', it would be a fun idea to add some chemical effects to the game. Such as filling the grenades with quicklime, acid, greek fire, gunpowder or even holy water.

Potentially, if they include crafting in SG or Exanima, grenades could be a tactical item and a very interesting addition to the throwing weapons arsenal.

Wow, I'm extremely pleased reading every single one of these responses that this thread has received. I didn't expect it to become so popular, so I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback and perhaps even helping bring these aspects to the Developer's attention. I'm sure they've noticed it already.
I love the Exanima community. :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.