Exanima OST Preview

Bethain

Developer
Glad to hear you are already making use of those! :)

However, I have to admit, I cannot recall a single part where these instruments where outstanding enough to really distinguish themself from the classic orchestra. Making some of these uniquely-sounding instruments more prominent could really help to immerse yourself in this medieval world, especially later in Sui Generis when you stroll through the world and hang out in towns and taverns where the mood is a bit lighter than in the eerie underworld of Exanima.

Having a few tracks which actually focus on these instruments would be awesome, just to see how you like this approach and how it feels in the game :D

To clarify, I´m not critizing you here. I´m just making suggestions (influenced by personal taste) :3
I totally get where your're coming from, just bear in mind the world isn't strictly mediaeval, I'll keep it in mind though :)

Bethain

Developer
Ha, my instrumentation is a lot of things, but strictly classical? Hmmm. Nope (don't think they had synths back then tbh) ;)
Jokes aside, it's actually very difficult to find good, authentic sounding mediaeval vsti's, most of them sound kinda rubbish. If I was gonna go that route it would have to be recorded (know any good lute players?)

Don Kanaille

Insider
I have a friend who also plays the lute in his free time^^ But, to be hoest, I could probably help you more with wind instruments, especially bagpipes. Germany has a relatively large scene of medieval musicians (and bands which cross medieval instruments with metal). From just doing a quick search I found

http://www.lautenspieler-heikoschmiedel.de/

If you need a summary of this site in English, I can probably get you one. Otherwise just contact him, he looks professionel^^

Bethain

Developer
I have a friend who also plays the lute in his free time^^ But, to be hoest, I could probably help you more with wind instruments, especially bagpipes. Germany has a relatively large scene of medieval musicians (and bands which cross medieval instruments with metal). From just doing a quick search I found

http://www.lautenspieler-heikoschmiedel.de/

If you need a summary of this site in English, I can probably get you one. Otherwise just contact him, he looks professionel^^
cool, thanks bro, might well do that at some point

burgzaza

Insider
About this matter, I don't know you but I've always loved the tavern musics from Baldur's Gate, felt like a real band playing, a bit rushed, very rough, totally immersive ^^
It would be wonderful to see, in Sui Generis, a band of local musicians really playing that kind of music, in a corner of some bar !

I've been thinking the same thing @burgzaza!
It would be so cool to have a traveling band or two. What would be really interesting is if they could function after losing individuals to accidents or raids. Like, you show up in Ardent one day and the lute player is gone, the music sounds fine but you can hear the absence of the instrument.

^ hopeless speculation <3

Bethain

Developer
I also agree it would be cool, the Baldurs Gate example was a good one. I know some good bands here where I live, but finding a recording studio and the right group or artists, with the right instruments, and the whole organisation that goes into something like that, is a hell of a lot harder and more problematic than it might seem. Besides, my general thinking with the instrumentation for Exanima and SG, is that yeah, although the instruments are standard classical, they have been layered and processed enough to give them a distinct feel which separates them from the normal tones you'd expect to hear from, say, a solo cello or viola for example. It's hard working with VSTi's, but mostly I feel happy with the outcome so far in terms of the overall sound, the fact that they are VSTi's and not the genuine article can even help with that sometimes. I like to think my music has a kind of mediaeval, lo-fi, kind of otherworldly feel to it, which is what I'm going for, reminiscent of old school games but with a modern and original (I hope) twist. I could just go for the standard over produced, over mixed, generic type sound track most people seem to like, but I really wanted to develop my own sound and that kind of thing certainly isn't what I'm into. I want my music to have a rawness and power to it that I feel is often missing from the soundtracks featured in most games and movies these days. Each to their own though, not saying one is better than the other, that's just the style I'm going for and personally I think it suits Exanima and SG well :) ... Having said that I do feel I may come under some criticism from music industry types who feel it isn't professionally mixed enough, or that they could do better job with a generic mediaeval type soundtrack, but hey, can't win 'em all, I just hope most people can appreciate for what it is, something different and something that suits the games :)

I love your music, absolutely love it. The style and freshness is incredible, especially Term'd. That bit around 2:50 that sounds like a xylophone or something gets me. As well as the 'clacking' (for lack of a better term) throughout that song, makes it sound visceral and heavy in a way.

We have a slider for sound overall, would we ever be able to have a slider for the music alone?
No offense but sometimes the music seems likes it really in my face and distracts me, particularly in the expert arena. Playing with the music muted really helps my focus at times, which seems pretty important for this game. But it's not my ideal config because I really do want to listen to the music, it's damn invigorating at times. Just need it loud enough to get my bloodlust going and still hear my foes scream ;)

Off topic, do you play the game much Bethain? I'd imagine everyone over there has sunk considerable time into it, maybe that would make the dev team the best currently heh

Bethain

Developer
Thank you for the praise, always much appreciated. I'm sure a music slider will be implemented eventually, but it's probably 10 googolplex's ^9 on Madoc's list of priorities right now tbh. I have played the game a lot, often just to see how the music sounds, but mostly just to have fun. To be totally honest I doubt I have sunk as many hours in of pure game time as some of you guys though, but when LAN PvP finally becomes a thing, I'd love to get some Tunngle action on the go with any of you with super low pings (speedtest gives me between 1-3ms heh). I've been watching quite a few twitch streams and stuff of late too, always fun getting other peoples' impressions. Been enjoying this German dudes series of late http://www.twitch.tv/dwarfelvishdiplomacy ... he has hardly any followers or anything but has got some pretty good skills and seems to really get the game, give him a watch if you get the chance.

RobG

Insider
I love all this music so much really want to try and tab termd for a guitar cover as I think that would sound cool,

Sometimes I think I notice a timing mistake in the main page music? I could be wrong but it sounds like a loop is slightly off, like I say I could be wrong just wondering really

Also is there a way for us to get a clean download of these tracks? I would love to edit some alternative music into some of my exanima youtube vids, but I wouldn't want to do it in a way to impair the quality of the sound.

Anyway got to say the music is really special, I cant wait to hear future tracks from you!

Bethain

Developer
I love all this music so much really want to try and tab termd for a guitar cover as I think that would sound cool,

Sometimes I think I notice a timing mistake in the main page music? I could be wrong but it sounds like a loop is slightly off, like I say I could be wrong just wondering really

Also is there a way for us to get a clean download of these tracks? I would love to edit some alternative music into some of my exanima youtube vids, but I wouldn't want to do it in a way to impair the quality of the sound.

Anyway got to say the music is really special, I cant wait to hear future tracks from you!
Thank you.

No timing mistakes as far as I am aware of, though I do use minor tempo changes from time to time so perhaps it's that you're picking up on? You'd have to be way more specific (timecode, bar, instrument, however much detail you can provide) for me to actually check what you're referring to.

By clean download you mean just the track on its own, or you mean the separate parts? If the former then pm me your email and I'd be more than happy to send you a copy of that term'd track if you want. Though beware, use it anywhere for monetary gain without my permission and I'll be sending you naked to the underworld with no torch! I might sue you too but who knows ;)

Scarecrow

Insider
To be totally honest I doubt I have sunk as many hours in of pure game time as some of you guys though, but when LAN PvP finally becomes a thing, I'd love to get some Tunngle action on the go with any of you with super low pings (speedtest gives me between 1-3ms heh).
This is something I'm really looking forward to. Playing with some of us guys on the forums and you devs, testing our skills against each other or even cooperating. It will be a swell time I'm sure.

I am curious though, do you plan on including the music you make for ExAnima into Sui Generis as well? Or do you intend to make entirely new soundtracks for that?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.