Fame/Renown and Controversy

Empire²

Insider
Hey guys, I apologise if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a trace of a similar question/suggestion at a first look, so here I go:

In Mount & Blade: Warband, a game that I've been playing a lot lately, there is a factor called renown. All important NPCs in the game have a level of renown. A lord would have a renown of let's say 432, which relates to his influence in the region. The king of a faction will have a much higher renown, but also controversy. Controversy would be caused by losses in battle, betrayal etc.

You, as a character, can gain renown by winning battles and tournaments, holding successful feasts and completing Quests. As you gain renown, not only will the opinion lords and ladies have of you turn for the better, but their dialogue will change to indicate they've heard of your journeys and victories. Having a certain level of renown opens paths for the player, like offering your sword to a king in vassalage or becoming a lord/lady. This gives the player a certain feel of influence on the world as well as providing some sort of backstory for your character that could be used. You could gain your fame on the battlefield, and people will remember you for that specific battle you fought and won.

Is it possible to or are there any plans to implement some sort of honor/fame/renown system into Sui Generis, which dynamically changes with the actions the player takes throughout their adventure?

Thanks for reading!

~E²

Scarecrow

Insider
In Sui Generis, the world is supposed to react to what you do and who you do it for. Different characters will react differently depending on several factors. Say you chose to help a lord clear out a bandit camp that is raiding his village. The villagers and the lord will be great full to you, and allies of the lord, and perhaps even neutrals towards the lord, will react to you in a positive manner if they hear of your deeds. Those people will now think of you as a righteous person who is willing to help. Lords that are enemies of those you helped however might react to you negatively, and it may now be harder to get on that lords good side. After a while, the enemies of those who you helped may even think of you as a person that has to go away, or else you might prove more troublesome later. And thus, they will perhaps send assassins or mercenaries after you.

Doing other things as well, like winning a tournament, may catch the eye of several lords and they will try to hire you after hearing of your skills in combat. Saving an entire city from impending apocalypse will make the world look at you as a Hero, and depending on different peoples allegiances (and your allegiance), they will react to you differently.

I don't think Sui Generis will feature a renown meter like in Mount and Blade, where it measure your renown in numbers like that. You will get a feeling of how renowned you are based on how others react to you. The world of Sui Generis is supposed to be very dynamic and reactive. So in short: Yes, i think there will be a type of honor/fame/renown system, but i think it will be much more dynamic and reactive than in most games. Also, i doubt you will have honor/fame/renown ratings that keeps track of it through visual numbers.

And this goes without saying, but as im not a dev, or in any way associated with the Bare Mettle team, i don't know any of this for sure. These are just my thoughts on the matter based on what I've read from them on the forums and in the videos.

Empire²

Insider
Thank you for your response. Even though I try to absorb all the information posted on here, it gets a bit overwhelming sometimes :p

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.