Fan Servers?

Caitlin

I was very intrigued to see how apparently easy it is to create and change your own world on the fly - altering terrain, weather, placeables and so forth. That being the case, I would like to know if there are any plans in the future for a setup similar to how NWN currently runs - where fans of the game came create and manipulate their own worlds that they can then place on a server and host online.

NWN has been around for a long time now, and has a very loyal fanbase that has (mostly) survived the years, but even it will die out eventually, and I'm sure a lot of the players are eager to find a newer, more advanced system to start on. Myself included!

Obviously I'm not certain how the business model works, and if there would be much money to be made by allowing your customers to create and publish their own worlds to play with others across the internet... But it seems like the system you've created could work well in that type of environment.

Really curious to know! : )

Parco

Madoc said:
Initially we will have multiplayer LAN. This will not be an MMO like UO, it's just not really possible (we adored UO btw). If and when we introduce online play will be more along the lines of battle.net but hopefully with some additional nice features.
Madoc said:
Either way this is ultimately irrelevant at this point, it's merely speculation. Right now we don't have the resources to even consider online play as a reality. For the forseeable future we can limit ourselves to the single player / LAN aspects of this game.

so there will be lan most likely and with hamachi i guess players could host their own servers/world and have others play with them, and if they add a direct connect option (using ip addresses) then hamachi would not be needed and people can share their world my simply by posting their ip address somewhere, similar to how it is for minecraft.

i hope they will make it so if you join a server/world you will download mods the server is using into a temporary folder with the possibility to choose to save the mod permanent

//connecting to server,... retrieving data,... downloading terrain,... downloading modpack,.... save mods?<yes/no>,... joining,...

making money on it shouldnt be much of a problem i guess if the requirement is a legal copy of the game. maybe make it so in order to use direct connect you would need to "logg in" (just to validate you own a legal copy), then people would need to buy the game to play online. pirates can still enjoy singel player/lan :D

Halvidore

Insider
I just said something like this in another thread which, maybe I should of held back because this seems like a better place to post it.

I would really like to see a toolset in the future. Like you said Caitlin, Neverwinter has been around for a very long time and still has a fan base to this day. I see really high hopes for this game. To see it die like other games I've played would be a shame.

I'm not comparing the Diablo games to Sui Generis, however Diablo 3 didn't do anything for me. Waiting all that time for nothing. Sure you would replay the chapters in different difficulties but that was it. Nothing can be done future to create a new experience. (That's not just me either, all of my friends included. That's not to say for other people...) SG is going to be something big, I can feel it. In no way do I want to see it fade into the darkness.

I've just found that with more user friendly games to mod or create things in like NWN or Skyrim have a much bigger fan base to keep it going for a long time. Adding a toolset would really bring something new to the game and the longevity of it in my opinion. Know a game called "Die by the Sword?" That game has a pretty big fan base even after 15 years with the use of mods :) I guess you could say I'm comparing SG with Die by the Sword because Treyarch really pushed the boundaries of gaming in my eyes in that time period just like SG is doing now. It's not just the game that will be big, it's the whole engine that it will be running on.

Happycrow

As a long-time modder (and game balancer, and texture geek, keyframe animator, half-clueless 3d modeller, and all the other stuff that comes with that), I am definitely hoping that such a thing comes along. There are business models which can support it, and support it well (nwn is probably the *worst* of said models, as it seems designed to lose money - it survives with a fanbase mostly because there's nothing on the market that does what it does).

That said, the "already-confirmed" stuff is pretty obscenely ambitious already, so I just want to see them manage to pull THAT off so I can throw my money at them. :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.