Game engine

Aarionn

Hi there!
First of all, I want to wish you all the best and to gather enough money to continue working on this amazing project. My pledge currently is the smallest one (10) but that is what I usually do at the beginning of any kickstarter project and I usually up the pledge if it is needed to achieve new goals or because of updates that reveal more about design and what can be achieved.

That said, I was very impressed to hear that you made game-engine from the beginning! It is really amazing what you achieved so far and I am very excited to see what improvements and what new features you will come up with.

Finally, I would like to ask you if you could share with us more info as how you decided to make game engine by yourself, what difficulties you had in the beginning, what computer language you used and what books would you recommend for someone that would like to start programming games.

Thanks very much in advance!

Best,
aarionn

Madoc

Project Lead
Hi,

I decided to make a game engine because we were taken by a vision of future games being ridiculously awesome. At the time I knew nothing about programming or game technology.

I can't say I encountered many difficulties, I was hired to develop 3D software professionally just two years after writing my first line of code. Didn't really ever read any books on programming or 3D, just documentation. My most useful source of information in my earlier years was probably the talented subscribers of the gdalgorithms mailing list. Don't know what it's like these days, I don't find the time for mailing lists and such anymore.

If you are new to programming I recommend starting by writing a relatively simple program to begin with and take it from there. Possibly something that has the potential to expand so that you can do so as you learn new techniques to achieve a greater complexity. A simple 2D game would be a good starting point I guess.

As for language I'd recommend using C++ if you want to do anything that requires good performance on multiple platforms.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.